Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two SnS Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two SnS Questions

The Weber baskets that came with my Performer are starting to get a little beat up. And with the sale price of the SnS Original, I had my wife get me a Christmas present. Before I go to use it I have two questions;

First, looking at the lighting instructions it appears the photo in step two is not what you would normally see after "lighting your briquettes in one corner of the SnS." That photo doesn’t match the written instructions. The photo looks like someone lit there briquettes in a chimney, and then dumped them in the SnS. Now I’m assuming it wouldn’t matter if you did that, then dumped your unlit briquettes over top, as in the photo, or if you started in a corner and then dumped your briquettes in as written. The difference being your fire would go from bottom up, if your lit briquettes matched the photo, versus one side to the other if you followed the written directions. To me it seems you would have the same number of lit briquettes, and as a result I assume your vents would be set similarly. Six of one, half dozen of the other right?

Second question, many of the 225 recipes require a short, high heat sear to finish off the brisket/tri-tip/prime rib roast, etc. Are you all doing this on the same grill? Seems like you would have to wait a good 20+ minutes at least if not longer in the winter for a "225 fire" to get to searing temp. Are you taking the lid off and waiting for the briquettes to come up to searing temps? Or are you doing that sear on a second grill?

Yeah the second photo is odd. I start my briquettes in one corner. When they're ashed over (or almost so), I pour in unlit coals with some touching but not on top of the lit coals. You basically want to have them light left to right (or right to left...). I put wood on top of the coals all the way across so that as the new coals light and ash over, they'll light the next piece of wood.

Finally, don't worry about 225F. It's not the one true temp, etc. 250, even 275 is fine (and will shorten your cooks). NOW... if you're reverse searching steaks you do want to run it a little lower (less overshoot) and you won't need many more than a dozen or so coals depending on how fast you want them to hit temp and the outside temps.

For searing, I use a cast iron pan on the stovetop.
    Last edited by rickgregory; December 28, 2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• McFlyfi
      McFlyfi commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with this.
      I use an ancient Target 18" knock off with a 1/4 chimney of charcoal brought to full fury with a BBQ Dragon as a "sear station".

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad I wasn’t the only one with those photos. In a previous life I was a manufacturing engineer and created assembly instructions for the production floor. I would have been called out on those photos. 😄

I forgot all about the cast iron trick. I also have an original Weber Q. Haven’t used it in a long time, I believe it was able to get a decent sear. And would keep the splatter outside.

Although this is the SnS Kettle with insert, it will be close to the Weber with insert.

Okay, I am now 4 cooks in on the SNS. I have cooked 3 lb Tri-Tip 3 lb chuck roast for chili 5 lb spatchcocked chicken 7.5 lb bone in pork butt So far, each one has turned out well. I have not done burgers, steaks, pork chops, or ribs. Those are coming soon. Here’s what I’ve learned. I like this cooker so much, I’m

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      I read through that last night. Interesting stuff. Funny thing was I was considering a HB. Would like to have just a little bit more grilling capacity. Have a WSM to cover the smoking. Might just get a SnS and save a grand or two. One fun thing with a HB is that I would get to learn new gear, but with the way the economy is I’m probably better off saving money for now.

Yeah, the BBQ Dragon fan is great, or any other fan. That stokes your coals and you’ll be searing in no time.

Comment

I usually start charcoal in place in one corner for low temp cooks. Don’t think it would matter either way. I have started in chimney for higher temp cooks and dumped in the end filling the rest with unlit coals successfully.

When going from low temp to high temp, like reverse sear steaks, I have often just started a separate chimney of coals as the steaks come up to temp and dumped it on top. Upside of doing this in the SnS over just using the chimney straight up for searing is more surface area so you can sear two steaks at a time. I’m usually cooking for a lot of people at once so that matters for me.

Hope you enjoy the SnS. I have loved using mine. Makes some great food and very efficient use of charcoal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here