Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My New Kettle Toy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Kettle Toy!

I just got this today and can’t wait to try it out. It’s a stainless steel rotating skewer system. $50. on Amazon. It’s basically 2 round plates that slide over your rotisserie rod and you attach your skewers to the plates. It has 2 wing bolts that you tighten onto the rod. Do any of you have this? Or used one? I like to do shish kebabs, but laying em on the grill and trying to turn em can be a little bit of a pain sometimes, especially if they stick to the grill or your vegetables just spin on the skewer. I thought this little accessory for my rotisserie would be worthwhile to try. It comes with 6 skewers that are 17 1/2” long. Has a good 13” or so of usable food space on each skewer after installed. Can’t wait to do chicken wings on it also. It should make for more evenly cooked and juicier foods too. The drippings should land on each other as they cook. Here’s a short video and a couple of pics. After I try it I’ll post a review.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; December 8, 2020, 01:29 PM.

Where did you find that? Looks like a good addition.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazon....Only Fire is the brand. There were other’s that were cheaper, but this one got better reviews and seems sturdy.
      Last edited by Panhead John; December 8, 2020, 01:00 PM.

One day you'll have to show my how to load up a demonetized video on YouTube. At my last residence a 30 second clip was 3 hours to upload, NOT KIDDING.

Sweet set-up!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jerod. Wow, 3 hours? I don’t know what demonetized video is, but I can share what I do. I just learned the other day.

That looks pretty nice

Comment

Damnit, now I have to spend another $50. This is the problem with Pitmaster!

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I know! Just when you think you’re all set, along comes something else ya gotta have.

What did Mom say about you playing with sharp and pointy objects!?!

Comment

Way cool! You are gonna have a ton of fun with this.

Comment

Nice! Welcome to the club.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20190627_200308.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	952792

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Great Attjack! How do you like yours? Any problems? On some of the cheaper ones I saw, a few people had problems with some skewers falling off during the cook. Yours doesn’t look like that could be a problem though.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine is definitely a cheaper one and I've had no problems. I think it's a great accessory. I need to bust it out I haven't used it in a long time. Not since I upgraded my gas grill.

- I bought an "el cheapo" version by "Grill Pro" called a shish kebab wheel in about 2000. It works fine. Definitely not as well made as yours.
          - If you enjoy rotis cooking you will like this purchase alot.
          If you ever go down the bunny hole for a tumble basket I went with the "Fill It & Grill It" nothing exotic but is all 304SS and easy to clean and breaks down to 4 parts (read dishwasher).

Comment

I have 3 words for you.... Huli Huli Chicken.

Also thanks for nothing, I'm about to be $50 poorer.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            This would also be great for char siu pork tenderloins.

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            rickgregory ok I need to try making the Huli. Do you have a go to recipe and method? Trying to skip the learning curve here...
            Last edited by Andrrr; December 8, 2020, 09:34 PM. Reason: Clarified what recipe I was asking about

Someone on my Weber Kettle Fans Facebook page made ribs with one of these. They tied the ribs around it with butchers twine. They said they turned out great.

Comment

• tiewunon
            tiewunon commented
            Editing a comment
            Never have used the rotis wheel for ribs. But have threaded the ribs on the spit rod and cooked them on the rotis in the past. Really good. Raichlen has a recipe in the BBQ Bible that is pretty good.

That looks really good, but the rotisserie ring for the weber kettle to house the motor & arm is another $129 on Amazon.

Comment

Ok. I’ve now used it to do steak and shrimp kabobs. My first time impression of this device is positive. During the cook I had one of the skewers fall off at one end. Luckily I was watching the cook like a hawk and it didn’t go into the coals. It just kind of dangled down at an angle. I believe that was my fault, but it was dark and couldn’t really tell. One end of the skewers has a U-turn type curved end and I don’t think I had it inserted far enough into the circular plate slot, to start off with. I had to stop the cook and bring it in the garage to reinsert it. After that, it didn’t come off again. And it was only that one...that came loose. So, I chalk this up to first time user error. The cook itself could have been better, again my fault. I used my charcoal baskets butted up to each other in the middle of the kettle. The food was directly over the coals. Since I was cooking shrimp on the kabobs along with sirloin steak pieces, probably not a good idea. I think I should have set them apart, front and back. I also had Campari Tomatoes on the skewer along with mushrooms, bell pepper and red onion. At the end of the cook, all 4 of my tomato’s fell off the skewer. Again, I think because I cooked it too long, and I also should have shoved all my pieces on the skewer closer together in the beginning, to add support to the tomatos. As we know, everything shrinks up during the cook and I forgot about that. Anyway it still tasted decent and I have now learned the best way to do this in the future. I can recommend this device, with a slight learning curve, for me anyway.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Panhead John; December 9, 2020, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Dude. First time with a new gadget. Looks yummy to me.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Mr. Frosty. But did ya notice I didn’t post an AFTER picture? Naw, it turned out good, I was just ready to eat.
                Last edited by Panhead John; December 9, 2020, 07:22 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here