Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble keeping temp down with SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble keeping temp down with SnS

Last night I tried my SnS out for my first long slow cook (brisket) and had a lot of trouble keeping the temp down. I followed the instructions on the site exactly, even counted out briquettes for the initial light, closed the vents down when it hit 160, etc, but I couldn't get the temp below 250-275 for the first 4-5 hours, even when I had both vents with only a very tiny crack. I had to add coals again at about the 8 hour mark since I only had ~15-20% left and I was still in the stall. Once I added the coals, the temp jumped to 325 and is holding despite the vents being barely cracked (see pic). I am using a maverick 732 half an inch off the grill, and am using Kingsford competition briquettes (from Costco). Any tips?

Also, is there any way to add coals without getting a ton of the thick charcoal smoke? This is my first time using charcoal for something where I have needed to replenish coals.

If you are seeing any smoke around the bottom of the lid, try putting 4 binder clips to hold the top down and get a better seal.

Comment

The binder clips make a big difference for me, as well.

Comment

Kingsford competition is my favorite charcoal, but it requires exact airflow control. It burns hotter than Kingsford Blue Bag so your vent settings will be tighter than they would with KBB. Also, air leaks will have more of an effect. If you're running your wires between the kettle and lid move them so they go in through the top vent. Use binder clips to tighten the lid down. Look around edge of lid. If you see more than a wisp or two of smoke you've got too much of an air leak and need to keep working on controlling leaks.

When you refill the charcoal basket slide all the remaining coals to a corner then add unlit charcoal. Off taste from bad smoke won't be an issue.

Comment

I favor the gasket myself. I would always forget that the binder clips were there, and try to lift the lid. Well, SPRAANG! went my clips. I kept losing or bending them. Gasket all the way for me!

Comment

Gasket works great. Everyone has clips though so it's easy for folks to implement.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              True. And maybe I should use the clips, since I like to peek too much! Keeps the lid on! :-P

As far as adding coals and charcoal smoke did you pour charcoal over the lit coals or move the lit coals to one side and add the unlit adjacent to the lit?

Comment

Thanks for the tips, lots of things to try out. I think I will do some dry runs for experimenting.

For the binder clips, do I put them evenly spaced, or just where I see smoke? Can I put them on the coal side, or will it melt?

Is the gasket pretty easy to apply? I saw some searching online, and if it is easy to put on and works well, it may be less hassle than clips in the long run.

For the coal re-addition, I slid them to the side and then dumped new ones on top and next to them, is that the right approach, or should I just put them next to the lit ones?

Thanks!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                I put the clips all around evenly spaced.

• martybartram
                martybartram commented
                Editing a comment
                Personally, I do not put it on top of the lit, you will get a larger base set of coals and therefore more heat. By moving them over and putting them adjacent to the lit coals you basically are back to what you started the cook with. Long tongs will help you stack those lit coals into the corner.

I'll be honest, I think your biggest issue is the Kingsford Competition/Professional charcoal. I use that on my Hasty-Bake to creat high heat. It burns quite a bit hotter than Kingsford Blue. My experience is that similar amounts of Blue burn 30-40 degrees cooler than Prifessional

Comment

Less lit charcoal. The number of coals lit directly impacts the temp. Using the competition briquettes will require lighting less than the typical recommendations due to, as others have pointed out, their burning hotter.

Comment

This is the gasket kit that I used and it took me about 15 minutes to install, very easy and works great so far.

Comment

Gaskets are very easy to install. I got one very similar to the one linked above. You can even get self-stick ones. Just make sure your mounting surface is clean.

Comment

Wow! The binder clips make a HUGE difference. I am cooking a chuck roast to make pulled beef, and I put the clips on this morning. I actually had to open vents more than I thought I would, since it was holding ~210 with the clips on! For the past few hours it has been bouncing between 225-230 without me touching it, so it is perfect now.

Thanks all!

Comment

• ecowper
                        ecowper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, too much air in the cooking chamber always creates a problem. The Weber Smokey Mountain has a similar issue. I bet you don't need/want Kingsford Professional, either. Blue burns cooler and longer.

Misting the coals works in a pinch too.

Comment

If you do decide to get a gasket I recommend www.bbqgaskets.com

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here