Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie question

I got a Weber Genesis and plan on using the rotisserie. When cooking, do you leave the lid up or down?

Depends. I've done low and slow with the lid on (whole chickens) and hot and fast with a hot fire with the lid off (picanha).

Sorry, I was thinking about the rotisserie set up on my Weber kettle. I know nothing about rotisserie on a gasser.
    Last edited by Bkhuna; May 27, 2019, 05:52 AM.

Comment

I have a Weber Summit and I leave the lid down. Outside burners on, center burner(s) off, unless you're searing at the beginning or end. Mine actually has a ceramic burner on the back for use with the rotisserie to do the initial sear for chicken or roasts. Whether using a special burner or the center burners, be sure to turn them off after the first 20 minutes or so to avoid blackening whatever you have on the spit. Obviously if you're using a basket with more delicate items like shrimp you wouldn't use the high heat at all.

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm doing 3 lb chickens. Dont plan on wearing, so I'll leave the center burner off. Med-low or med-high? And do u put down a drip pan? Thanks.

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends on what it takes to get the temp where you want it. Sorry, can't give a better answer than that since I don't have the same grill, and even then I'd hesitate I do put down a drip pan, may need to take out the grate and put on the flavorizer bars depending on the size of the chicken and of the drip pan.

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Dan

I do the same as Dan Deter on my Summit. Lid down and no heat directly UNDER the meat. Using a combination of outside burners and the infrared burner on the back.

Just keep the center burner off on your Genesis.
      You may need to remove the grates in order to add a drip pan...but that's no biggie, you're not gonna need 'em. Temps are a hard call because of all the other variables...but if you've got a digital thermometer with an ambient/pit probe you can dial in whatever you'd like. One of the benefits of a gasser is that total control.

Comment

I do chicken at least 1 a week, I find MOM works really well

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          surfdog - Burner settings: Medium - Off - Medium from left to right.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          It took me a few to figger it out, yestidday MBMorgan

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          MBMorgan Ah...got it.
          On my gasser it would be more like MOOOOM. LOL

Don’t have Genesis, have a Napolean. I do what just about everything everybody said. You’ll do well in following their destructions. 🕶

Comment

Down

Comment

Did the rotisserie tonight. Sorry, forgot to take pic. Chicken came out very moist and favorable. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Comment

I have a Weber Genesis with the rotisserie. Just used it for Easter, as a matter of fact, for Prime Rib Roast (sans bones). I am always lid down. I keep the center burner off to avoid flare ups and keep the outer two burners screaming at first to crisp up then down to medium to finish. Sorry if you already know his but the racks will need to come out as well. I also try to use a drip pan set right on the flavor bars just for easy cleanup. If you find a foil one small enough it does not block the outer burners. You will LOVE the rotisserie, I have used mine for chicken, and lamb and love the results!!

Comment

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                The cook was fun. Did not tighten down the restraining screw on the holder and when I checked on the chicken, it had fallen out of the basket onto the flavorizer bars. I think I had caught it pretty quickly since the chicken skin wasn’t burnt. Rotisserie lesson 😆

• pjlstrat
                pjlstrat commented
                Editing a comment
                Damn, Should have mentioned.....I truss all my meats for rotisserie. Keeps em from floppin. Sorry about that.

Love the rotisserie. Lid down, indirect heat, grab a beverage and relax.....

Comment

Just started a 4.5 lbs. bnls top sirloin roast. Lid down all the way.

Comment

down and low temp to roast, up an high to sear. When roasting use the indirect heat, when searing use direct heat.

Comment

Got a line on a cheap rotisserie. Can you cook two chickens on a rotisserie on a 3 burner Genesis?

Comment

• MBMorgan
                      MBMorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes.

• Hugh
                      Hugh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks MBMorgan

I have even done pork ribs on it, came out great

Comment

Outside burners on only. Middle off, heat deflectors off, water pan sitting on the middle burners. Lid down and use it like an oven. When doing chickens, I like to put a few apple or pecan chips in a smoker box and put it next to one of the lit burners to get a little smoke. I jerry-rig my Fireboard into a rotisserie thermometer with the ambient probe telling me the temp at the rod and a probe in the chicken. I fiddle with the lit burners until it holds temp in the 350-375 range.

Comment

• TripleB
                        TripleB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I didn’t take the heat deflectors or flavorizer bars out. I’ll have to do that and try the smoker box next time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here