Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leg of Lamb From Costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg of Lamb From Costco

Cooked a leg of lamb last night on the fairly new rotisserie. It was 4.66lbs, grill ran a constant 425 with the lid on. I know Meathead recommends leaving the lid off but I had to leave it on recently with my first two attempts to do chickens. The weather outside was absolutely nasty for them.

I probably should have left the lid off on this cook now that the weather has finally broke in to the 50's - 60's. This cooked in 1 hour. I was expecting it to take ~ 2.5 hours. At least I monitored it and caught it in time.

Oh well, as they say, practice, practice, practice...
    Attached Files

FWIW, I always close the lid when rotisserie-ing. My three burners run lengthwise (Weber Genesis gasser) and I always turn off the burner that is directly underneath the meat as well.

Comment

How did it taste?

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty good actually. I'm not a big fan of lamb but wanted to try something different. The kids ate it so that's a win in my book.

I have only used my rotisserie 3 times, each time with the hood down. I also have a Genesis. But that's just what I assumed was supposed to be done. I've had good results. But then I have nothing to compare it to. I'll have to try it with the hood up.

Comment

Willard I can't remember what page it's on in the book but the concern was that the chicken's internal temperature would rise too fast. I'm assuming that applies to other meats as well, right Meathead?

Comment

Lid always shut when I do the rotisserie on the gasser as well. On a Weber I'd want the smoke to get to the meat so I'd close the thing with the temp down some to roast the meat, then maybe open it and crank up the heat to sear the outside. I don't see the logic to an open lid otherwise, but that's me.

I have a leg-o-lamb in the freezer, I need to do what you did soon !! I love lamb personally.

BTW - how do you like your Signals? Is the app working ok for you?

Comment

• Willard
            Willard commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman Good info. Thanks.

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            I was using the iGrill from Weber. I liked their app better, it had a little bit more to it, including an AppleWatch app to monitor temps, however the lack of Wi-Fi made it hard to use. I considered the Fireboard, but liked the display of the signals better.

The signals app is basic and has a slightly different UI from what I’m use to but it does what it needs to do. I had a hardware issue with my original unit (bought mine during the members sale) but their customer service was awesome.

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            They quickly sent me a replacement. The big question would I purchase one again knowing everything I know now? I would, but if I had a Fireboard* I don’t think I would be jealous, if that makes sense.

*I never used one.

I've always gone lid down.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here