Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie vs Grill Burner Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie vs Grill Burner Direction

My old Weber Genesis has three burners running lengthwise. For roto, I simply don't use the middle one (I wrap it in foil to keep drippings out of the "flame holes" if I remove the flavorizer bars). Most of the new gassers I see have burners running front to back, which seems very wrong to me for roto--having to worry more about flare-ups and such--plus it seems you can't remove the flavorizer bars to give additional depth for a bigger bird without grease dripping into the "holes". Using only the first and last burners (in a front to back- setup) seems wrong too cuz the sides of whatever one is cooking never see heat.

Am I missing something here? Does the spit rod also run front to back?

Is this the rotisserie channel? Where am I?

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      "Where am I?"

Lost?

Confused?

Too dang cold in WI?

;«)
      Last edited by Willy; January 6, 2019, 08:19 PM.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, "can’t get there from here".

I’ve got a rotisserie for my genesis three burner. The burners run front to back. The rotisserie runs side to side. I haven’t had any issues with heat getting to the meat when only using the outside burners. I’ve never had to remove a flavorizer bar to make room.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment, but...a big enough turkey WILL mean the removal of the flavorizer bars. Been there, done that with my "horizontal" burners.

I'm glad to hear you do get enough heat from the two end burners.

Thanks again!

Everyone says that the left and right burners are the way to go. You remove the grate, put the drip pan on the flavorizers, and your good to go.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Still seems odd to me, but then, I may be dumb but I am slow.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I do. Plus I am using a 2 burner grill so far so good. I simply adjust the heat accordingly.

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
    Everyone says that the left and right burners are the way to go. You remove the grate, put the drip pan on the flavorizers, and your good to go.
    Yep ... I use the left and right burners on my EP-300 and it works just fine. I do remove the grill grates (why get them dirty?) and have never felt the need to remove any flavorizer bars.

Comment

I also have an older Genesis with the burners running left to right (old 2002 Genesis Silver A 2 burner), and my thought is that with the newer style front to back burners and a rotisserie you are relying more on indirect heat to cook the meat with that lid of the grill closed and keeping the heat in. With these older Genesis models it seems you might get more direct heat from one or more burners, since they are parallel to the spit.

I see a lot of grills that have an IR burner across the back, specifically for use with the rotisserie, which would seem to make more sense, as you are spinning the meat past direct heat, like I would be with the radiant heat from coals on a Weber Kettle rotisserie.

Seems the direct heat would crisp skin more than indirect heat would to me, but what do I know - I've never used a rotisserie on any of my grills...

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Dad Cooks Dinner has a ton of Rotisserie stuff, but he has an IR burner at the back with north south burners rather than front back burners. We'll see how it works with front-back, as I just bought the rotisserie, since Amazon finally credited my return.

Now you guys got me thinking about a rotisserie for my ancient Genesis or my Performer! Must.... resist.... MCS...

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        The epic ness of pork on it was what sold me.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        MBMorgan I found both a Weber rotisserie and an "OnlyFire" or some such on Amazon that both will fit my 2002 Genesis, and both are a good bit cheaper than the kettle rotisserie, and would take less storage space than the kettle version with that big ring. I may take the plunge into it later this year.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Do it!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here