Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to do a little pork shoulder on the rotisserie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to do a little pork shoulder on the rotisserie

I'm guessing I will have no regrets.

Have you ever done this?

No, how much can the rotisserie handle?

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Plenty of length but I figure I might not want a super thick piece of meat.

I have, truss it, and run lower than you think you should. Is the goal pulled or sliced?

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Good advice. Rotisserie cooks fast in my experience, although I've only done birds with it.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Sliced.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes sliced is easier. I like to season it with no sugar, and sear the beejesus out of it at the end. Heavy on the salt and it is almost like it was wrapped in bacon.

Heck, I can't even spell it!
    it's the spinney thing right?

Just kidding. Not about the spelling though. I really wouldn't mind but I took French in high school.

Comment

I have spun several pork butts for slices and a nice change from pulled pork. I learned if using 2 charcosl baskets not to overload with hot coals and the SnS works great. I have done with and without bbq rub and sauce.Enjoy your meal.

Comment

Sounds like a good cook. But we will need pictures of course

Comment

Don't forget pictures or it didn't happen.
          May I suggest PBR as a pairing?

Comment

How are you placing charcoal in the grill? SnS or Weber charcoal baskets, or ??. Using something that contains the hot coals allows you to move them closer or farther to get the bark you want.

I bought these about 5 years ago, (When the weber baskets burned out.), and that's my go to for rotisserie cookin'. I really like being able to move them where I want them.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm actually going to do it on a gas grill.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I do mine on a gasser too.

The pork has hit the spit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zY9Rbh56LeN0zxkM-2PQSt02uYdIbJcu6E2uRg2VahoUzKcATOidnU_RZlRhCbG71MrtqSyLK5McyRQs8MaAmvh8itQacwvb_jNsz51yQU_UpnwNVaMHciEKNe2CFc7ETkyHBV8JbwzDVni2BL-fRc7p-9h0kfYCeuPzFN4Q3vyVrh3JFq2N9PfG0Hg9ImQ8oWO6oQ_OKwngr2RT-GS_1aYojE7mbwJBCY0B41YVOyz2eDyGDIE5wDYSvly_6DI
Views:	601
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1300780

Click image for larger version

Name:	-Z4E9GISsa8HIkEK5K-_8fcurbKPnNLMtPHlXHTE3Q-DDOl0COI8ZktQ_GVmyvtFBUAYXIgyL4mU9HM2OqYZHuxrCZ3qRH3XUL-Q4zTYdl1I-jZgfsxWVlIa9DjPuA__v3V5poZBt52lYq8XEcSQ8-4l78cWRTQfj957a9AW-tswFXzqWb65vBqo1P_B0M65Zjd1x4w89zHVvfukvKCo87_Qi9SpPL6ial9jm_SgBWzospssb0RM9lFuSD0AsLp
Views:	585
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1300781

Comment

• Mark-B
              Mark-B commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you gonna cook it to 201 degrees? I would think you'd want it lower 160-175 and slice it? Curious as I've been considering this myself at some point.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Mark-B Good call I think I'll shoot for 185.

This thing is cooking way fast than I expected. I'm at 158f after an hour.

Comment

Attjack this is timely, and I am curious as to how you like it.

I just yesterday watched an episode of Project Fire on PBS yesterday where Steven Raichlen focused on cooking on spits and skewers. He butterflied and stuffed a boneless boston butt, rolled it back up and tied it, then cooked it on a rotisserie over a live fire. Looked like an interesting cook, and I may go that way some time. All my butts are bone in right now, but I may pick up a boneless to try it with.

Spit-Roasted Pork Paprikas: A recipe from Steven Raichlen's Project Fire, Episode 407: Spits and Skewers

Stuffing was onion and kielbasa of all things, then lots of salt, pepper and paprika, roll it up, tie it up with 8 strips of bacon around the outside, then more salt/pepper/paprika on the outside.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I would like to see that episode. My little pork butt had a bone which I removed. I'll let you know how I like it.

• Mark-B
                Mark-B commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack When I do one on the kettle, I'm thinkin' coals directly under like stated above. Seems the dripping fat would give lots of flavor. Just gotta make sure there's not too many coals and too hot. Def want to see final pic's of yours as it looks like you are using a gasser.

Very interesting, i want to try this method. Interested in your results, thanks.

Comment

My ambient temperature has slowly crept up. I had my IR burner set to medium-low to start and turned it down twice. It is now on low and the temperature is 275f. The meat is about ready to pull (181f).

Comment

It took 2 hours to reach 185f. I can't say this is the best piece of pork I've ever cooked but it's pretty good. I've also sliced pork butt and grilled it over charcoal and those results were better. It would be interesting to do a larger butt like jfmorris is talking about above. Maybe I'll give it a shot one day.

I think I'll make a Cubanoesq sandwich with this and some sliced ham I took out of the freezer this morning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ExNG6-0AiysOH76Vu-1okm16jaOMUugq0cD3cZJTVPJZ2uAv8Xxa0EogGuC--l7q64z9-q7ctF5NxLGOBAb8zy9L1NIH3N8cnHpCrzGtIBWgYPlT0tmhsna4bm8rWy2f5UNBJGV2zkvdshnR9-qGpmn7uxLwdaLFmwuigM468O-n6t3EgDLZwkJW3dUg_iYD8VLQv-aBu-VeTyGp7Xf51Pg8blxTc07QFmuqMOa0nt7mGteId5iwSKXf6Nn-cO- Views:	14 Size:	640.4 KB ID:	1300843

Click image for larger version  Name:	1NOgXzJWC1cBqFixHNkyAN1Lo3tiyh2FQNOwSmK9SDeLZlYua4UZOf6Br6JFgE8IdDx6jGX15osK4kQLUWqnDIbBdn3ENgL9sAZtzS__7ZAQLoJitKT2IYNAbVhu2vvq4jwniGPxpnREu7J56qZjdwGF8lfI-DyRpuG_2a0LEoe_gSgdYXZ00qpYpHkfPqAOERvGf8FEVTcYFL8ivk_gwGQkMZOpalz49nb63jTUTaYVg3piZ3C6aFYp-dzcIh7 Views:	14 Size:	538.8 KB ID:	1300844
                  Last edited by Attjack; September 28, 2022, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Attjack your results LOOK spectacular, as always!

Here is a link to watch the episode of Project Fire that I was talking about. It's a mash up of a German recipe and a Hungarian "paprikash" recipe adaption. I made chicken paprikash one time - good way to use a lot of paprika!

https://www.pbs.org/video/episode-40...kewers-vyyvti/

The butt comes at the 10:00 mark, after the leg of lamb.

And the recipe:

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/spi...pork-paprikas/

I ju
                    st recently started watching Project Fire off my local PBS (the Create channel), and I have to say, I feel like he rushes through. The shows are 30 minutes, and I am pretty sure Project Smoke was an hour. Maybe I am wrong, but he would have shown how to make the sides in Project Smoke, and seems to skip over them in Project Fire.
                    Last edited by jfmorris; September 28, 2022, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just watched the episode. Thanks for the link! He did some very good cooks. I liked the pork shoulder, the Shishito skewers, and seeing that suitcase grill in action.

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Attjack agreed! I was shocked to see that suitcase grill that someone here bought last year show up for a cook like that. And that was an interesting cook indeed! I am not sure I will give Steven credit for skewers on that mystery meat, since he just used them to pin things back together and not really hold the meat...

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here