Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of adding a rotisserie to my WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of adding a rotisserie to my WSM

Have a little MCS right now but not in the market for a new cooker. I mean, I'm always in the market, but don't think I can buy one right now. To scratch the itch, I was looking at the Cajun Bandit rotisserie and just had questions about the type of chicken a rotisserie produces. In our house, I usually spatchcock a chicken and let 'er rip on my WSM, or I pan sear and throw in the oven. Both get me exactly what I want. Crisp skin and a juicy bird. Will a chicken on a rotisserie get me the same flavors, or is it a whole different thing? Thanks!

I've said it before - there's just something about spinning that bird that makes it better. However, I don't have a WSM, so I can't say you will see an improvement.

But if you do try it, make sure you cook HOT to get that crisp skin.
    Last edited by RonB; April 29, 2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do, thanks!

I was in the same frame of mind a few months ago. I bought a rotisserie kit for my Weber 22” from Only Fire. It was a $99 fix for my MCS. I love it. So easy to use and so many things that can be cooked with it.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great to know, thanks! $99 for a MCS fix is a fine fine deal!

I have been looking at getting a roto for the kettle, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I didn't know you could get one for the WSM.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      They sell one on the Cajun Bandit website, although I haven't called them to inquire more about it yet.

• djl
      djl commented
      Editing a comment
      The Cajun Bandit fits both the kettle and the WSM (flip it over for the right "connect")

Works fantastic on the kettle with the charcoal off to both sides. Never tried my WSM... Yet. I have chicken in the freezer. If I get a chance to cook it before MCS takes over. I’ll let you know

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      djl let us know!

I had to switch where the motor bracket was attached to the rotisserie ring (simple). I removed the water pan and the grates. Put a chimney of light briquettes in the bottom of the WSM. Cooked at basically 350 Fahrenheit for probably 45 minutes. Ended up not checking on it after another 45 minutes...

I ended up with a very good rotisserie chicken. However, the skin could have been better. I was still working. Had I been able to pay attention better I would have noticed that my coals were dying out; so that, I wasn’t cooking hot towards the end. No complaints from the family... But what do they know. The skin wasn’t crispy,

What I do different:
    Add another half of chimney of briquettes to cook longer at higher temps (hopefully without intervention during the cook.

I put the charcoal in the center ( in a line with the rotisserie bar). I figured incorrectly that the chicken was high enough not to worry about ash being kicked up by the falling juices. So, I would not coals under the chicken again or leave the water pan in.
    Attached Files

Comment

• djl
      djl commented
      Editing a comment
      Dry brine, then paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chunk of hickory

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for doing the experiment! Sorry the skin didn't crisp up, but it looks delicious!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here