Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally Got To Open My New Wusthoff Knives……Wowzer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Got To Open My New Wusthoff Knives……Wowzer!

A few weeks ago when I ordered my Wusthof Classic Knife Set, I wasn’t sure when they’d be delivered, so I had them delivered to Mom’s house, since I’m back and forth so much. I didn’t want to take a chance on not being at my house and have them delivered here. Anyway, I just picked them up this weekend and brought them home. Damn, these are impressive knives!

I know that several people mentioned I shouldn’t buy a block set. The reason being, many times you wind up with knives you might not need or use very often….which is true and good advice. Some also suggested storing them in a drawer in sleeves, well that just wasn’t gonna work, for me anyway. Due to space constraints I needed a block to store them on my counter, plus I like having everything at my fingertips. Fortunately for me I didn’t have to settle for whatever knives came in a particular block set. Wusthof gives you the option of selecting a block and fill it with the knives of your choice. I bought the 15 slot block in Acacia. Of course the first thing I just "had" to do was give it the old arm hair test. I took a couple of them out and, of course they both shaved a significant amount of arm hair with ease. My next test was to stick one in my ear to see how well it shaves ear hair. Nah, even I wouldn’t try that.

These knives are definitely first class quality, as they should be for that kinda money. 😱 They are well balanced and felt great in my hands. I can’t wait to actually use them over the next several days. The only blemish with this whole thing was a couple of scratches in the block. This had to have happened during production because the block was shrink wrapped in plastic and was visible only after I removed the plastic wrap. The plastic itself was not torn and everything was shipped in high quality, individual boxes….inside a well packaged large box. I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow and I feel like they’ll probably make it right with me….I’ll keep y’all posted about that. Here’s a few pics.

TOP TO BOTTOM: 8” Chef’s Knife, 8” Carving Knife, 7” Santoku HE Knife

Click image for larger version  Name:	08F07242-C55B-434C-94CA-AA366DB49CFA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.77 MB ID:	1170567

8” Bread Slicer, 6” Utility Knife, 4” Paring Knife

Click image for larger version  Name:	96478DB0-E1A5-4909-BB53-644D3A47B690.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.87 MB ID:	1170568

(4) 4 1/2” Steak Knives

Click image for larger version  Name:	03A309A2-A0E6-4A14-A482-34112E0324E6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	1170569
    Click image for larger version  Name:	18A2103C-1337-44D4-9269-0CB6061A2429.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	1170570
    I also got the scissors and a honing rod.

Click image for larger version  Name:	87B66C80-18B7-4B82-AEF4-77998A505726.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	1170571

Scratches On The Block

Click image for larger version  Name:	1709EA4D-B7E7-4027-B6A5-EBEE074A3837.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	1170572
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0231ADC1-C605-4A7E-8319-8637D67C7374.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	0 ID:	1170577

Last edited by Panhead John; February 8, 2022, 06:16 AM.

Shiny! Nice addition.

Comment

Those do look nice. Don't forget to trim that nose hair too.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s mainly what I got the paring knife for.

Good choice, love my W Classics. For YOUR ear shaving I've got another knife I'd lend you, seems appropriate for who it's for. Pic compares to the 8" chef................ Click image for larger version

Name:	Devastator.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	1170584

Comment

Very nice. And the butcher block holder/rack looks great with your color scheme. Well except for the scratches of course. 😁

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Hit the wood with some lemon oil or Watco Danish oil, it'll cover those marks right up.

Very nice, John. Now, don't forget to season them by running them through a couple of cycles in the dishwasher on high temp scrub with sani-rinse. Use commercial grade dishwasher soap if you can get your hands on some, that really sets the finish.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I just use steel wool for scrub lines, no need to go out to the shop and fire up the wire wheel.

• Caffeine88
        Caffeine88 commented
        Editing a comment
        58limited Troutman

Hand scrubbing with steel wool or scotch bright is especially nice for random curlique scratch marks. It gives a very personal touch. Great idea.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        They make great screwdrivers, too!

Beautiful looking knives. Enjoy your new cutting edge journey.

Comment

Sweet blades, PJ! Pay no attention to advice from any other "Mikes" in the Pit. No dishwasher! In fact no washing at all. Just scrape them off onto a pants leg or maybe just let the dog lick them clean. No dog? Guess you'll just have to do it yourself ...

Enjoy!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahahaha!!!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Man Is Right...

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Just remember back of blade for tongue cleaning

Beautiful! Problem is you will be staring at them, and then, you are going to want to use them all-- At the same time . For safety purposes please only use one at a time and enjoy each slice .

Comment

Scratches on the block, no problemo, there will be more to come. Knives? You’ll never need another one, never, ever. 👍

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks FireMan, that’s my plan.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Well Excuse Me, do you mean need or want?
            It seems I have far more wants than needs.

Congrats! I'm sure you will find other things besides shavin' to use them for.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Just don't try to shave yur inflatable girlfriend. That could pop yur dreams...

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Shave your legs in the shower? No Pics--didn't happen.

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John
            Just be careful you don't shave too high.

Congrats. You should ignore all of this bad advice you're getting on how to care for your knives. Just send them to me. I'll make sure they are nice and clean. Oh, of course, then I'll send them back to you. Of course I will.

Comment

Now those are ‘nives !!!!

Comment

Nice Panhead John ! I would like to use the Santoku for a few years if you can spare it. Enjoy your new knives!

Comment

Watch those fingers! Very nice set!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here