Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Meater Block - Was It Worth the Wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Meater Block - Was It Worth the Wait?

I finally got around to editing & publishing a video detailing my initial cooking experience with the Meater Block.

Thanks for checking it out!

Thanks Ken, I’ve been curious about how the Block is fairing, sounds like a continued disappointment. Someone someday will perfect the technology, I for one hate all the wires. Unfortunately it doesn’t sound like that day is today. Thanks again for posting!!

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Too bad because I too hate the wires but functionality is what's most important.

Thank you. I asked and received a Fireboard for the holidays and was wondering whether I should have waited for the Meater. Glad I didn't.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      You asked for the right one!

Thanks for the review Ken ..... this confirms everything I expected about Meater and Meater Block.

Comment

Thanx for the review. It seems that you are underwhelmed.... I do have a suggestion though. Next cook, put the Block in a sealed zipper bag, and place the bagged Block close to the cooker.

That would see if the Block would work inside a bag which would allow you to use it in bad weather.

Comment

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the case for my Fireboard so putting the Block into a sealed zip lock bag would feel like going back in time but that is a good suggestion. I really don't see myself trying to use it in rainy conditions again.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I too use a zip lock bag on my Fireboard but don't really seal the end. One day I was doing a cook and had it sitting on a side shelf to the cooker. My sprinkler system came on (we had a blackout and my timer got messes up). It manage to get water into the baggie within millimeters of the Fireboard itself. Luckily it missed, but my heart almost fell to my knees when I discovered it. There's always something...

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        My Maverick claims to be "water resistant" -- I place it in a bag anyway.

Great review, Ken. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Nicely done. Appreciate the effort

Comment

This seems very similar to my experience with the original Meater. As you put in the scrolling comments, I think your connectivity issues would go away if you put the block closer to the grill. The plastic bag is a good suggestion in bad weather.

I'm not sure you got the probes all the way in, though. You should take off those stickers and look for the ring in the probe. It's supposed to go in up to that ring.

Comment

I think they have blazed a trail no one else had the motivation to blaze, and for that I give them a huge kudos. Perhaps Apption Labs can sell the tech to another big company who will perfect it, or perhaps in the coming years they will perfect it. I honestly think there is great potential. I kinda feel like this is the first camera phone or the first touch screen phone...soon to be laughable at its inadequacies once better versions come around, but still a little cool since it's the first of its kind.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sooo, are you saying this may be a collectors item instead of a paperweight? Fingers crossed..

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I couldn't agree with you more Huskee. They blazed the trail, opened up the technology, it wouldn't be long before we can take all those confounded wires and use them for fencing.

Does anybody know of somebody doing a tear down of one of the probes to find out what's in it?

Comment

Welp, I just got my "Meater Block w/ 4 probes has shipped" email. This is awesome (not) because my original contribution: Contribution Confirmation

Pledge ID: 14953359
              Perk: Delicious Perk
              Estimated Delivery: March 2016
              Shipping Address: Patrick
              was from Thu, Jan 14, 2016, 5:48 PM. 3 years, 2 months. At least it is on its way. I am truly not sure what I am going to do with this now. I have since purchased the Thermoworks Smoke, and a Fireboard (which I use primarily). I guess If i Need something in the oven in the house, or maybe if I have the smoker and the grill going... *sigh* Anyone interested in buying a brand new, never been used Meater Block???

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol. I'm thinking of selling mine too, it's just not very practical for me personally to use, and therefore I don't use it.

I sold mine a few days ago. Fortunately, I was able to recoup the full cost. I think now is a good time to sell because The Block is still listed as a preorder on Meater’s website.

Comment

Used my MEATER Block for the first time last week, and I have to say...I love it! I did get a few of the disconnect notifications, but upon opening the app it never actually disconnected. This is easily fixable with a software update.

I put the Block outside on the dinning table under my patio cover - about 15 feet away - and had zero connectivity issues. Thankfully my patio cover is fully covered, so I wouldn’t hesitate keeping it out there in poor weather. Tested it inside and did have some issues, so it’s not wall friendly, but outside with a clear line of sight I was able to get 25-30 feet away with the Block and retain connectivity.

Connected to WiFi I was able to check on the cook from anywhere on my property that I’m on WiFi, which greatly extended the range from my old Maverick.

Temps were fairly consistent with my instant read thermometer (close enough for me), and not having any wires was so nice. There are definitely some things to improve - many could be fixed with a software update - but overall I’m happy. I backed them on Kickstarter in October 2015, so it was a long wait, but I’m glad I finally have it. Definitely keeping it.

Comment

• RickL
                  RickL commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've had two meater + since the beginning of March used them on 4 cooks and they have worked fine I like the graphs which I find useful and I love the expected completion time. I've been using Maverick to monitor and a thermapen for a final reading. I would like it to be thinner but for me the've worked very well

I just received my Meater Block 2 days ago and started using it on a Pork Shoulder in a PBC this morning. Already I'm seeing inconsistencies. A little over an hour into the cook and Probe #1 is constantly losing connectivity with the Block. It was only 5 feet away maximum distance and I had to place it in a ziplock bag because of the rain today.

Also I am running it side by side with a Maverick ET-732 and the temperatures have fluctuated from a 2 degree fahrenheit difference to a 7 degree difference, with the Meater running hot in comparison.

I had to move the block to no more than 3 feet from the PBC to stabilize the signal.

I think we see that this technology is still not there yet and needs some work before we can call it a success.

Comment

• Histrix
                  Histrix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Trying to push a very low power Bluetooth signal thru a sealed metal container like a PBC is always going to be iffy at best

Really nice review.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here