Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The WSCGC with FireBoard and Fan Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WSCGC with FireBoard and Fan Control

I have to say the mind is blown. This thing is working amazing! First cook is just an ole Cook's Ham, 11 pounder so should take about 4 hours at 275. Been wanting some ham lately for some reason. For the first hour, I ran the pit viper with it's internal baffle half closed. But watching how the FireBoard works with its % fan speed, It dawned on me to open it up all the way! Let the FireBoard be the boss... And it is working wonderfully!

Bottom vent on the WSCGC fully closed, top vent set to 1/8" open using my taper gauge. Setup in the Minion Method. With the pit viper baffle half closed, it worked flawlessly, but seemed just a tad less reactive than with the baffle fully open.

The fan speed is keeping this thing within just a degree or two of my set point. It ramps very well too! It also seems to sense when the door is open, and seems to give you a 5 minute fan-off while the pit ramps up on it's own which most do after giving your pit a blast of air, then sets out to stabilize the temps again.

I am VERY impressed so far!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_897D98026BE9-1.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	398946

Name:	IMG_9746.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	398947

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	398948

Yes!! Great to hear Lonnie! I am have mine in the mail right now. It should be here on Monday. It is great to hear the Pit Viper is working well with this set up.
    Per your suggestion, I am going to run mine with the baffled all the way open. With my current set up, I usually run my Pit Viper with the baffle half way open.
    I am looking forward to getting mine going. Thanks for your push to purchase.

Comment

Thanks for the info lonnie mac

Comment

That’s Amazing! I can’t wait to get mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
          Yes!! Great to hear Lonnie! I am have mine in the mail right now. It should be here on Monday. It is great to hear the Pit Viper is working well with this set up.
          Per your suggestion, I am going to run mine with the baffled all the way open. With my current set up, I usually run my Pit Viper with the baffle half way open.
          I am looking forward to getting mine going. Thanks for your push to purchase.
          Yep! Watching this thing is amazing. Once my pit hit set point, the fan will run between around 2% to 11% fan speed to maintain it within a very close margin. I figure while it is ramping up from a dead start lets say, it will call for a 100% fan speed, so with the baffle half closed it was really only getting 50% air. I didn't want the FireBoard to learn the pit that way, if that's what it even does anyway. It still worked flawlessly half closed, but was not as "reactive" so to speak, and that makes perfect sense to me now. I am not sure but I think the baffle is in the Pit Viper fan because on their system, the controller does not control the actual fan speed, probably wrong on that one but what I thought, so they put the baffle in there because the fan can only run wide open.

The FireBoard fully controls the fan speed and calls for heat, and the amount of heat it seems to need.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            With the DIGI Q, you get your Pit up too temp, then set the controller up. Are you starting your fire, then letting the Fireboard take it to cooking temp? Thanks!

Also, I have the Digital Q. And you are correct. It does not adjust fan speed.

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            That's exactly what I did brother. I started a minion method, hooked everything all up and shut the lid practically cold. The FireBoard set to 275, it called for 100% heat until it got to cooking temps, then started trying to maintain that temp and so far it is fantastic!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, that is impressive. I don't know if my KEG seals that well any more. I found a rusted out spot on the bottom of my KEG that pours smoke. I make it work, but I am not real happy with Broil King.

One degree? Good gawd!

Comment

Okay, dangit ..... I may have to get a Fireboard cable and a fan. Not that I don’t love my WSM as is. Not that I can’t maintain solid temps on my WSM right now. BUT ..... the joy of keeping it right at desired temp and just letting it cook .... all of which is just an excuse to indulge my MCS, probably. Where’s Breadhead when I need him to explain the situation?

I wonder how I would connect it to my Hasty-Bake? Hmmmmmmmm, might have to get crafty.

Comment

Latest graph...

As you can see from the chart, the left most graph is when I shut the lid after a cold Minion start. In the WSCGC I can load her up pretty good and it will cook for days. Once the pit got up to temp, you can see the green fan graph overlaid over the pit temps. You will see the first big cold spike, that's when I loaded up the hamster, on a bed of apricots, peaches and apples...

Shut the lid. The next little cold spike I just opened the lid and took a quick snack. The third spike, I temped the ham. Time to get the tators on...

Directly under each door spike, you can see the green graph has a 5 minute fan-off cycle. This is cool!

Name:	IMG_6E162227AC96-1.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	399004

Comment

That's crazy

Comment

You've got me sold, lonnie mac . I really enjoy watching/fiddling with smokers to make them work their magic, but you sure can't argue with that solid smoker temp curve.

Thanks so much for posting your findings.

Kathryn

Comment

• lonnie mac
                    lonnie mac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It works AMAZING! You know I am biased, all these many smoking years, this is the first fan I have owned.

That temperature line is amazing!

Comment

Ham is done! I am gonna back the set point down to 225, plug the cable into power and check my charts in the morning. What is even more amazing, going over 5 hours now on the FireBoard's battery power running the FireBoard and the fan itself, and it still has 58% battery life left!

Name:	IMG_5775.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	399056

Comment

That's crazy good Lonnie. And I love the graphs. But I do hate the cables on the probes... Still waiting on the Meater with four probes.

Comment

Th only reason I use a gasser for home use is set it and forget it... your making it hard to stay that way...

Comment

Ok last graph till tomorrow. While eating a great ham, pulled out the app and set the set point to 225 from 275 as indicated by the blue set point line. Gonna love this thing.

Name:	IMG_0885.PNG
Views:	276
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	399155

Comment

• Spinaker
                            Spinaker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Dude!!!! This thing is awesome. I am really looking forward to this.Thanks for taking us along on your made voyage. This sold me.

• Danjohnston949
                            Danjohnston949 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Boys, The FireBoard has always been Able to Precisely Monitor Temps and Record the Same‼️ Now with addition of the Fan Control Cable as Lonnie just demoed The "Force is With You"❗️ TG Turkey: Left Breast, Left Thigh, RT Breast, RT Thigh, 2 Pit Temps❓ Oh Boy, Oh Boy‼️‼️❓
                            From a Backyard Cremator from Fargo ND, Dan
                            Last edited by Danjohnston949; October 24, 2017, 02:52 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here