Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireBoard - wifi connected thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireBoard - wifi connected thermometer

I can't vouch for this, and there are risks in "buying" things via Kickstarter but people are always asking for a multi probe wifi thermometer.

The one downside risk is that it looks like they are hosting their own servers to distribute temps over internet. That could be a deal killer

I am a kickstarter addict. I go through phases. As my last backing run is winding down (Nom2 delivered, Ace Marks shoes cleared customs and being packed, Misen knives forged, awaiting low hydration packaging, and Field Skillet, somewhere in the refinement process... I'm a late backer on that), it's probably time to fire up the green and white again... I'm on this. Earliest bird. I'm a sucker for KS's doing their manufacturing in the US, particularly either locally or in the midwest.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I just looked it up. Damn I wish I would have seen those sooner. What a cool deal to get in on early. If they take off, those first run pans will be collectors for sure!!

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      I too am awaiting my Misen and Field Skillet and should be receiving my Stargazer skillet in about a month.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      That Stargazer... that's nice... love the giant logo.

I too am a kickstarter junkie. waiting eagerly for my Misen knives. However, I'm a bit leary about tech projects. They have ways of going wrong (so do non-tech ones). I backed (at $1) the Meater probe. Nevermind that it was "due" in June and has been having delays on delays on delays. Part of the way I found this site was that Meathead is a backer. Debating whether or not I should do more than $1 on this one (being able to read the backer only updates is helpful). Sometimes, I'll wait until the last 15min and see if an early backer drops out. I've done well with that tactic on a couple projects.

Ah, I knew there would be a "catch." It's one you find with fitness trackers:

The FireBoard Cloud is free to use up to 48 hours per week. 24/7 monitoring will be available for $10/month.
    Last edited by Atalanta; August 12, 2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Hmmmmm, the Super Early Bird level is fascinating, but I have not had good luck with tech projects

Comment

Don't like that the only way to see your data is via their web service. If I couldn't also download a CSV file of my cooks from their cloud I would not be at all interested.

Seems a little pricey also. Since there is a growing demand for remote read/wifi thermometers like this I would not be surprised if the Chinese don't start putting gizmos like this on the market for $75 in the next year or so.

The Tappecue thermometer is like this device and it also utilizes a cloud service to see your data. Cloud services are not always a bad thing...until the company goes out of business.

Comment

I'm more interested in a data logger that I can just plug into my laptop after the cook.

Comment

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            Since I'm seeing a lot of commonality between roasting meat and roasting coffee, check out some coffee roasting boards. They have some pretty interesting data loggers going between their roasters and their laptops.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Atalanta

I'd be shocked if you can't export the data in a standard format.

Comment

They haven't identified who is supplying the probes and they say they'll ship in December. I'm skeptical.

Comment

Has any of you that invested in the "Meater" on KS over an year ago ever received it yet? I notice they are still on KS

Comment

• Atalanta
                Atalanta commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm only a $1 backer for the updates. However, the natives are getting restless and they have a projected ship now of September/October 2016.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                I was in and out on the Meater three times before quitting. I think the way they launched simultaneously on IndieGoGo made me very skeptical.

There is No Fool Like an Old Fool UNLESS IT'S A DAMNED OLD FOOL? I'm in I am going to Sell it as a Priceless First Run to @Spinaker!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I am in touch with them and they are sending me a unit to test. I will give it to Bill, our electrical engineer to put it through his testing equipment. It may be a few months, but we'll have a thorough run down on it. That said, if it lives up to its promise...

Comment

Meathead if Fireboard lives up to it's promise, it's going to be an awesome piece of technology that totally changes the thermometer scene in BBQ ... Not to mention you could apply the same tech to your stove in the house, which would be pretty cool, too.

Comment

• Histrix
                    Histrix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Competition is good. The more entries the better. Just don't see how the Fireboard is a game changer when the Tappecue is on version 2 and has been out for more than a year.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So Fireboard does everything Tappecue does, it allows for 6 probes, instead of 4, and the Super Early Bird buy in is much less than Tappecue 2.0 ... Competition is good

• Histrix
                    Histrix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll wait for the 8 probe model.

Tappecue may well lower their prices when Fireboard hits the streets (if/when that ever happens).

latest update says you download and keep your data.

Comment

• Histrix
                    Histrix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad they made that clear. Don't really need one but to help their project I went ahead and jumped in on the "Extreme BBQ" option. I'll set my calendar to look for come July 2017.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Excellent ... The cloud solution should give you good visualization and reporting, but not prevent you from keeping the data.

• rip1877
                    rip1877 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you have no need for one, it will always make a good Birthday/Christmas/Anniversary gift for some one else... just saying

So the $10 month charge really intended for commercial enterprises. I think they will figure something out where everyone will be happy.

What concerns me is what if the company goes under. Will the WiFi service still work? I sent them a question trying to clarify.

Comment

• Histrix
                    Histrix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I asked if we can just get the data from our phone/tablet directly. They said they would need that to be added to their app and are considering that. Otherwise you would have to get if from their cloud which could be problematic if they fold.

Received an email from Ted, the individual who started the Co. He explained that it would be possible to open the firmware to allow connections to other servers but will most likely be complicated. They are using MQTT as a message broker on their server so would need to substitute.

So for most of population you are taking it on faith that this company will be around for the long haul.

He also mentioned that if for some reason the wifi does go down, it can still be used via Bluetooth but obvious restrictions on distance.

Comment

• Histrix
                    Histrix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    True but at the moment you can't get the data either directly off the device (apparently the USB cable is just for charging and not also data) or save a CSV file from the app on your phone or tablet. I'm betting they will add that feature to their apps.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here