Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Steel Wok Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Steel Wok Recommendations?

I'm in the market for a carbon steel wok and would like suggestions for a smart purchase. I have a large family, so I need one that will be adequate to cook for 4-8 people on the regular. What say you all?

We bought ours at the local Asian Market.

Comment

The Wok Shop is a great source. If you have any questions she will answer them

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        That depends entirely on how you wish to use it and what your cooktop is like. Mine is induction so I have a flat bottom. On a gas cooker, lots of people do round with a ring to support it.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        hoovarmin I already had an older round bottom wok. So I purchased a flat bottom one. I can use it any type of burner.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        hoovarmin - as stated, a round bottom wok can only be used on a gas burner. The problem with the flat bottom woks I have had is that the bottom warps when heated up, so the bottom doesn't stay flat.

I still use the current one, and it works well, but I do wish the bottom stayed flat.

whatever the hell Richard Chrz uses for those potatoes of his. i think that was a carbon steel wok but i could be misremembering

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Carbon steel paella pan 15 inch, lodge. I keep falling more in love with that pan.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        grantgallagher Misremembering? Now I'm worried 😎😜

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahhh paella pan. I was close...sort of.

On the grill, or on the stove top?

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a gas stove and think that the majority of the time I'll be using it inside.

I have a 14" carbon steel wok from The Wok Shop - flat bottom with the metal helper handle. That way I can unscrew the wooden handle and season it in the oven, use it on the grill, etc, without worrying about burning a non-removable wooden helper handle.

For 4 to 8, you may want the next size up. I find the 14" adequate for meals for 2 to 4. With wok cooking you learn to do batches of stuff, then combine it all at the end. On the flat top, I can do all the different items at the same time on different parts of the flat top, then combine. With the wok it is each element of the meal, like meat, set aside, then veggies, then combine.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        My primary interest is for Thai food, which often involves a great deal of liquid. For other stir fry I will stick with the Camp Chef, for sure.

+1 for The Wok Shop. I bought one there several years ago and have been happy with it. I didn’t have a ton of money at the time and got a more entry level model. After time and a couple of cross country moves, it still works well, though I’m probably due for an upgraded replacement. I was cooking on an electric stove at the time so I opted the flat bottom. The replacement with absolutely be round bottom as I seem to get better results in my parents round bottom one. I think it’s because I can "roll" the wok around better while cooking and get better movement of the food. Could be all in my head, but I also feel more legit since it’s what I used to see when I lived in Beijing. Let us know what you end up with!

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Good info RickyBobby. Thanks, brother.

hoovarmin Hey buddy, I think you should get this one, it’s 9% off!

https://www.wayfair.com/STARSKY--Hyb...BoCeVQQAvD_BwE

Click image for larger version  Name:	F1521331-FED1-44CE-9146-F6EDA84A3629.png Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	1253477

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        😂😂😂 I'm sure you do. I'm still sore from that tv purchase or I might harvest an organ to pay for that.

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        9% ?!?!?!!!!!!! That’s a deal at half the discount!

I replaced my old wok with one from The Wok Shop a few months ago. Shipping was a little slow and it took almost 3 weeks to get here, but I'm very happy with the wok.

Comment

A $30 wok will do you good. I was going to go through the Wok Shop, but when I ordered, the one I wanted was not in stock so, Amazon. But, some friends got me a few utensils from the WS.

As for your question on flat or round, I like a round bottom for my stove top and the grates I have. It fits perfectly on the grate. That would be something to check out on your grate, if a round bottom bowl sits ok in there. If you were to use the round bottom wok elsewhere, making a foil ring will work as the holder to keep it steady (ive cooked a few times outside on my gas grill and done this).

either way, add it to the list of what you need paella pan and now a wok haha!

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          It's getting expensive in here, brother

They major difference between different wok manufacturing is material and thickness. Heavy and thick is better, within reason. It's not a Dutch oven.
        I would think size should be a minimum of 16". Hand hammered is the preferred method of manufacturing but can be pricey. Stay away from aluminum please.

I've owned several woks. They are great tools.

Woks are primarily designed for high heat, rapid movement stir frying. They can be adapted for many other tasks as well.

Comment

• Allon
          Allon commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW the ring the wok sits on (round bottom) is called a fire ring.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Allon. Good insights

I will 150% suggest the Smithey Ironware Carbon Skillet and wok. It is pricey, but their products are absolutely incredible! They are best cookware purchases I've ever made!

Smithey Ironware Co. designs and manufactures heirloom quality cast iron and carbon steel cookware in Charleston, SC. From skillets to Dutch ovens, roasters to our hand-forged wok, Smithey crafts tools for your kitchen that will last a lifetime.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Shazam! Did Panhead John put you up to this temptation?

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          hoovarmin Honestly, you don’t wanna buy any cheap ass $1,000. wok. 😂
          Last edited by Panhead John; July 14, 2022, 06:09 AM.

You mentioned you’ll be cooking Thai & using a lot of liquid. Hmmm. Are you sure you need a wok. A wok is for stir frying. It does hold liquid, but what are we talking about when you said "a great deal of liquid". Regarding a wok, you do not have to spend big money, it is not necessary at all.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I was wondering this same thing. I don’t use a lot of liquid in the wok aside from oil and some stir fry sauces at the end of the cook. I do see that some shallow fry in the bottom.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          More liquid than I want to corral on a flat top - perhaps "a great deal" was a bit dramatic 😂

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here