Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Steel Wok Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    More liquid than I want to corral on a flat top - perhaps "a great deal" was a bit dramatic 😂

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, I was wondering this same thing. I don’t use a lot of liquid in the wok aside from oil and some stir fry sauces at the end of the cook. I do see that some shallow fry in the bottom.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    hoovarmin Honestly, you don’t wanna buy any cheap ass $1,000. wok. 😂
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 14, 2022, 06:09 AM.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    Shazam! Did Panhead John put you up to this temptation?

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Allon. Good insights

• FireMan
    replied
    You mentioned you’ll be cooking Thai & using a lot of liquid. Hmmm. Are you sure you need a wok. A wok is for stir frying. It does hold liquid, but what are we talking about when you said "a great deal of liquid". Regarding a wok, you do not have to spend big money, it is not necessary at all.

Leave a comment:

• Allon
    commented on 's reply
    BTW the ring the wok sits on (round bottom) is called a fire ring.

• ILMsmoke
    replied
    I will 150% suggest the Smithey Ironware Carbon Skillet and wok. It is pricey, but their products are absolutely incredible! They are best cookware purchases I've ever made!

Smithey Ironware Co. designs and manufactures heirloom quality cast iron and carbon steel cookware in Charleston, SC. From skillets to Dutch ovens, roasters to our hand-forged wok, Smithey crafts tools for your kitchen that will last a lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• Allon
    replied
    They major difference between different wok manufacturing is material and thickness. Heavy and thick is better, within reason. It's not a Dutch oven.
    I would think size should be a minimum of 16". Hand hammered is the preferred method of manufacturing but can be pricey. Stay away from aluminum please.

I've owned several woks. They are great tools.

Woks are primarily designed for high heat, rapid movement stir frying. They can be adapted for many other tasks as well.

Leave a comment:

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    It's getting expensive in here, brother

• barelfly
    replied
    A $30 wok will do you good. I was going to go through the Wok Shop, but when I ordered, the one I wanted was not in stock so, Amazon. But, some friends got me a few utensils from the WS.

As for your question on flat or round, I like a round bottom for my stove top and the grates I have. It fits perfectly on the grate. That would be something to check out on your grate, if a round bottom bowl sits ok in there. If you were to use the round bottom wok elsewhere, making a foil ring will work as the holder to keep it steady (ive cooked a few times outside on my gas grill and done this).

either way, add it to the list of what you need paella pan and now a wok haha!

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    hoovarmin - as stated, a round bottom wok can only be used on a gas burner. The problem with the flat bottom woks I have had is that the bottom warps when heated up, so the bottom doesn't stay flat.

I still use the current one, and it works well, but I do wish the bottom stayed flat.

• willxfmr
    replied
    I replaced my old wok with one from The Wok Shop a few months ago. Shipping was a little slow and it took almost 3 weeks to get here, but I'm very happy with the wok.

Leave a comment:

• RickyBobby
    commented on 's reply
    9% ?!?!?!!!!!!! That’s a deal at half the discount!

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    Ahhh paella pan. I was close...sort of.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here