Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lodge Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got me a Dutch oven table on the way

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man... more stuff!

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      those look pretty handy, DW

some guy near me builds them, I was thinking about checking them out

Ovens and Smokers and Grills, Oh Boy! Ovens and Smokers and Grills, Oh Boy!

We're off to see The Cooker, the wonderful Cooker of AR!

(Styx playing in background ... "too much time on my hands...")

-- Ed

Comment

Karon is spot on though I feel it is worth adding that once cast iron is very well seasoned (like the skillet I use to cook for eight people a couple of times a day) you can use it occasionally for, say, a tomato sauce--or superheat it for searing--without having to reseason or getting a metallic flavor.

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, I LOVE Cast for searing. Especially for searing beef. I don't generally like searing other things in my cast iron if I plan to deglaze for a sauce. deglazing, by definition, is removing oils & food essence from the cooking vessel. so, that strips up your season. I use a different skillet for that. Matter of fact, I am, today, ordering my new Stainless large skillet.

most of my life I have had 'make do' cooking vessels. hand me downs, garage & thrift sales (nothing wrong with that) and regularly replaced inexpensive pots & pans.

Now that both kidlets are grown and on their own, WOW! I actually get to see part of the household income! It is AMAZING, the change that takes place in the wallet when the kidlets are finally paying their OWN bills! Of course, my first project is cooking. New pots and pans. Putting together a cohesive, lovely, related and matching set of cooking vessels. MMMM.

So, I have always had my cast iron, some were wedding gifts, way back then, and some have been purchased for or by myself for gift giving events. Cast is pretty set but, I am behind the curve for pots and pans, so, I am rectifying that. I can finally buy nice, lifelong, pass them down pots and pans. I'm very pleased.

I just picked up the 9 quart dutch. Aaaaaaaand she is a big girl!!!! Holy cow. 26 pounds empty. I can't wait to see how heavy that baby is when she's full of my Royal Atomic Brisket Chili. Great now I am all worked up.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown 7.34.26 PM.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	108943
      Last edited by Spinaker; September 10, 2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        hahahahaha... awesome! Yeah that is a monster!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker
        Royal Atomic Brisket Chili
        ???
        Please, tell me more, Brother, or point me to where it is already posted!!!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 30, 2017, 05:43 PM.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, this takes me back. smarkley was a good man. The Pit lost a good man. We had some good times in the Pit. Bones, I will get you the link...... Mr. Bones

I'd like to use a kettle as a cooking table.

Questions: Is it important to have a solid base under the oven to direct the heat?

Could I use the charcoal grate of a kettle for the bottom coals or should I put something solid in the kettle?

Easy enough to throw a paving stone in there but just wonderingif you think its needed.

​ Click image for larger version

Name:	weber dutch 1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	109031

Karon Adams smarkley
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 11, 2015, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• BruceB
        BruceB commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey - where'd you get the kewl cutaway kettle?

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think I like that set up. if the coals are around the circumference, you have a cool spot in the middle. not a lot but you don't want hotspots, especially with long cooking/simmering. if you put in a paver, you are multiplying that by adding an insulator. If that is a footed Dutch Oven (and I think it may be) they are designed to sit in/on the coals, directly. The rim on the lid is so that the coals can be put on top of the Dutch oven so that heat comes to your food from all sides. Beyond that, so long as your Dutch Oven has enough support for the weight and the weight of the contents, you will be fine.

You are really going to LOVE cast iron.

Once denigrated as the pot a poor person uses, cooks recognize that because they are INCREDIBLE in the task, they are finally being paid the respect they have long deserved. No kitchen is complete without some well used, well loved cast iron.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        There's those of us that have Never lost th' Faith in Cast Iron, leastways, not since 1962.
        Your passion is appropriate, an', hopefully, will stir new people to discover this fantastic, wonderful method of cookin'
        Bless ya', Karon Adams

Jon Solberg ... here is my Old Smokey with the Dutch in it... look at the plate under it

Name:	image_6152.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	109046

Here is what the Old Smokey looks like, my legs are taller though... It is big enough to fit my big dutch in it...

Name:	oldsmokey.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	109047

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        hahaha... I think I had beans and pork in it! -- you can tell by the number coals that I was trying to cook the farts out of it hahahaha! DWCowles
        Last edited by smarkley; September 11, 2015, 12:15 PM.

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        best way, by far, to diminish the fats in beans is to toss some aspirin into the pot.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        smarkley
        What did ya' have fer th' 'plate' in yer cooker? jus' a piece o' sheet steel, or some store boughten gimcrack?
        Jus' curious, an' Thanks in Advance!

Just got the shipping email. Getting Monday .

Comment

Totally stoked: Ordered my stuff on Tuesday from KaTom. It all showed up today minus the lid stand which is on the way. Cant thank w0nq enough for the great tip on KaTom! Hats off to you sir.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 11, 2015, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Here we go!

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Watcha planning on cooking first with it Jon Solberg

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          @DWCowles

Chicken Vesuvio Hold my beer. Watch this. hehehehehe

I got no idea what I'm dong so I'm just going for it.
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 11, 2015, 08:06 PM.

Okay so maybe Chicken Vesuvio was not the way to start ones camp Dutch oven career. Lol. Pics to follow in the Dutch oven thread. : )
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 12, 2015, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          I am thinking of Chili Cheese Burger Chili ala the BBQ Pit-Boys, mainly because it looks good, is strange, and I should at least TRY one of their recipes since they have given me a bunch of entertainment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          smarkley A lady from Finland has given you plenty entertainment taste testing hot sauces on everything from chicken to desserts......gonna emulate her cooking any???

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahaha Jerod Broussard

Yeah she makes me laugh a lot! I guess I should try one of her recipes too LOL

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
        Okay so maybe Chicken Vesuvio was not the way to start ones camp Dutch oven career. Lol. Pics to follow in the Dutch oven thread. : )

Sooooo, did you cook with 12 splits of wood on top the oven and cook the chicken to 207.6 internal.....???

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed

I am considering buying a huge galvanized cabinet to hold all of my cast iron. I feel like I am going to come in from work one day to find all of my cast-iron in the basement or in the earth itself after the lower cabinet I keep all of them in gives way.

Name:	images-1.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	109398

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          hahahahaha!

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          LOLOL!!! BTW, did you hear? that sinkhole re-opened! Gov took the house, destroyed the house, filled in the hole with materials that, supposedly would never be washed away and surrounded the lot with a VERY high fence and all the warning songs. about 3 weeks ago, the hole suddenly opened, again! The neighbors are terrified! (with good reason) Geologists still don't know how deep the hole goes or what water source caused it. Neither the man nor the bed in which he slept were ever recovered. they just don't know how deep. SCARY stuff!

Over the years I've become fond of using feed pans to hold coals and my DO when cooking... sometimes I have several going at one time. I flip one upside down on the ground then place another on top with the DO...
        Amazon.com : Little Giant13 Quart Galvanized Feed Pan GP13 : Feed Pan Horses : Pet Supplies

Comment

Mine arrived today as scheduled. Think I am going to try a cobbler as first Lodge cook .

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            gardenfish dutch oven cobbler is the bomb

• gardenfish
            gardenfish commented
            Editing a comment
            DWCowles It was your recipe and pictures that got me going . Going fruit hunting in the next couple days. I will use flour and make my own mix instead of a pre-made mix. I can't wait. Your Peach cobbler with the ice cream looks awesome!

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            simplest Cobbler I have ever had was from my MIL (who, I'm sorry, is NO cook). It is a 1:1:1. one cup all purpose flour, one cup sugar, one stick butter. Slice your fruit, whatever fruit you want to use, mix the 1:1:1 to crumbly. slice your fruit into your dish. mix as much or as little of the topping into the fruit OR you can put all of it just on top. This makes a really nice starting point. You can adjust with other tastes and flavors, a little vanilla, some raisins with apples or craisins, some cinnamon (and buy REAL cinnamon, not what most places call cinnamon sticks. those are actually Cassia sticks. the taste difference is AMAZING!) whatever you want to add for taste, but, 1:1:1 is a great, easy place to start. Bake it off at 350 until the top is GBD and the juices are all syrupy and bubbly.

A suggestion for a base for under your Duttch Ovens is metal mechanics drain pan, they are round and heavy enough to with stand the heat. I will try to post a pic and a common source for them. Don't Use Plastic!!, Dan

Comment

I've done it again. Just ordered the 4QT dutch. Click image for larger version

Name:	41IJrXYa-XL.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	109841

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I order the Dutch oven 14 from KaTom yesterday Spinaker now I need to find the 20"

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome! That 4 qt is great for smaller meals prolly the size I use most often.

DWCowles is gonna feed an army, it looks like!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I figured this would be an ideal addition for those cooks when i don't need to feed the army. DWCowles smarkley

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here