Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lodge Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply

• Spinaker
    replied
    . Richard P When you get a chance, post some pictures of those pans you found. It would be neat to see what you came up with. I especially want to see that #14.
    The pan above is a 3, 6, 9 Heat Ring Casting. They get their name from the heat ring breaks at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock on the under side of the pan.
    The 3,6, 9 Heat Ring is a Lodge feature. Lodge always had heat rings. However, the 3,6,9 heat-ring was first cast in the 1960's when Lodge Manufacturing went from manual to automatic casting. The automatic casting machine, known as a Disa-Matic, were produced in Denmark. It was one of the very first automatic casting machines in the US. In the early 1990's the casting changed again when another machine was added and the foundry underwent a massive overhaul. It was here that the heat ring was dropped for good. The Lodge Skillet castings we see today are the successor to the 3, 6, 9 casting, and are the first Regular Lodge Skillets without a heat ring.

There is a ton of history hidden all around us!

Leave a comment:

• Richard P
    commented on 's reply
    billg71 thanks

• billg71
    commented on 's reply
    That's a beautiful chunk of iron! Congrats!

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Lodge. IF they have Made in USA on the back. They were most likely cast after 1960. Richard P

A 14 is a rare find. I would hang on to that one.

• Richard P
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker I just visited my brother and he has two pans a 10 and a 14 that belonged to our Mother with the same markings that are on the back of the pan in the above picture. Any idea who made them.

• Richard P
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Spinaker. Rust on this one was mostly in bottom of pan and it needed sanding any way to get it smooth. Rest just took a wire brush. Always looking for more CI for the collection.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Nice find! Electrolysis is for removing rust. The seasoning is removed as well. You can use it anytime. I wouldn't worry about the logo effecting heating I have the same skillet. You should turn your skillet while heating, anyway, so it shouldn't make a difference.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Richard P Cool Beans, Amigo!!!
    It'll jus' git better with age!

• Richard P
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones Thanks. And thanks to the info obtained on this site I finally got good seasoning on one of my cast iron finds. Will have to use this on some more and maybe I will use more often. Scrambled some eggs added peppers, onions, lots of cheese and had no sticking and the pan wiped clean. Yea.

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Nice lookin' results, re: seasonin'!!!
    Re: Yer question... I think that there's more than enough negative vs. positive space on th' bottom of yer skillet; what's th' difference in measurement, if ya wanna examine 'in depth?'
    ¿1/16th~1/8th, by eyeball guesstimate...?
    Cain't imagine no 'hotspots', due to th' logo, letterin', an' such... Reckon Lodge been makin' CI fer awhile, they got that part down. YMMV
    Hard as it is, I tries HARD, not to get too OCD!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    That's why I almost always use my Grannie's #8 Favorite Piqua Ware, when I cook CI...
    Jus' payin Respects...

• Richard P
    replied

out antiqueing and spied this lodge 10 inch skillet sitting on a shelf. No seasoning at all but had some surface rust. Flipped it over and saw the back. A Cracker Barrel cast iron made by Lodge. Thought it would be worth the 10 dollar asking price and with discount and taxes still under $10.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170422_183122_resized.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	315606 Out antique shopin Click image for larger version

Name:	20170422_183143_resized.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	315607

Cleaned off rust and did some sanding on the rather rough cooking surface. Then two rounds of seasoning with flaxseed oil in the gas grill. Will probably do another seasoning session later today, And will try breakfast in it tomorrow morning. Spinaker guess people that had it for sale must have sand blasted it with course sand. That is why it looked like shiny metal with no seasoning visable so I will not get to do electrolysis method on this one.

Name:	20170506_142631_resized.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	315608

Name:	20170506_142535_resized.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	315609 ​​​​​​​

But can anyone tell me if the casting on the bottom will cause any hot spots due to the thickness changes or heat being trapped in shallow areas.

​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• bcostlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gardenfish View Post
    Going to purchase one today. Looking at 5qt and 8qt deep version. Says 5" deep on both, one 10" round the other 12". Question is, for those of you that use these, for the wife and I or for general cooking which size would you recommend? I envision, corn bread, chili, beans maybe a stew. Is one size better for most recipes?

Thanks Rick
    A lot depends on how many you are cooking for. 5 qt is great for most recipes but it gets crowded when you're making something like osso bucco for four or more people.

For large cast iron you might want to try antique malls. A lot of vintage cast iron is available for about the same price as new stuff on amazon. 100 year old cast iron just has a really nice cool factor.

Leave a comment:

• boftx
    replied
    I got the 5qt a few weeks ago, and it is perfect for Mac 'n Cheese, stew, deep frying, whatever. I have used it in both the oven and in my smoker and grill. Even better, the lid is the same as the one they sell to fit the Lodge 10" skillet, which is perfect for corn bread.

You won't go wrong with the the 5qt.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here