Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill grate/griddle combo for Weber Kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill grate/griddle combo for Weber Kettle?

Hey guys. Do y’all know if anyone makes a half griddle-half grate combo for the Weber 22” Kettle? Maybe that comes in 2 pieces that you can use either together or separately? This is the type of grate I was looking for in the picture. This is actually a picture ecowper posted on a related topic. I’m not looking for the standard type grate that came with my Kettle. Thanks
    Attached Files

Yeah, these are Grill Grates. And you can actually use them with the rail side up, like above, or you can use them on the flip side. Which is more like a flat griddle side. Which is really handy for searing. You can buy the individual panels to fit your needs.

Comment

Spinaker Thanks! I’d heard of the Grill Grates a lot here. I didn’t realize you flipped them over for to use as a griddle. All the pictures I saw here were rails up.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Flippin' them over works great, but don't try to cook eggs or pancakes...

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        How about grits? 🤣

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        If ya like yur grits with a lot of charcoal flavor...

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
      Spinaker Thanks! I’d heard of the Grill Grates a lot here. I didn’t realize you flipped them over for to use as a griddle. All the pictures I saw here were rails up.
      Yeah, it is an awesome way to go. Plus, you still get the drippings going through the grate so you still get great grill flavor.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Now I can do a bacon cheeseburger and not have to dirty up a frying pan for the bacon! Yahoo! 😆

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You to it man! Panhead John

Panhead John I have a full set of Grillgrates that came with my used Performer, and liked them enough to get them for all my gas grills. This page should have what you need:

Read about Charcoal Grills by GrillGrate. Learn how to make your grill better with GrillGrates.

I like them for doing burgers on the flat side, I tend to use the rail side for chicken and chops. I like that with these, I can do a full grill single zone setup, take advantage of all the grate, and not worry about burning things up, as the flareups just don't happen.

For my steaks, I go indirect until about 120, then sear over the SNS, but sometimes I will throw a section of the Grillgrate down, flat side up, over the SNS, for searing.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jim! I was looking at em earlier, and I see I can do the 2 half moons or the 3 piece set up. I’m leaning towards the 2 half moons. Any advantage of one kind over the other? Besides the 3 piece being cheaper?
        Last edited by Panhead John; September 30, 2020, 01:35 PM.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John - 2 half moons don't actually connect to each other, from what I can tell. It's meant for when you only want to cover about 45% of the grate. The 3 peice rig is open a little on each side to allow for air flow, and to accomodate the Weber grate handles. Not sure if two half moons will fit - I would email or call them, as they are very helpful folks.

Using grill grates as a griddle .... cooking breakfast and burgers ..... I can generally run the "griddle" about 450F no problem. Use my IR therm to measure. Breakfast is really cool, the family likes it that way. Says it's like having a campfire breakfast without all the pain of going camping.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1448.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	123.3 KB ID:	918262
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1449.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	918260
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1450.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	141.6 KB ID:	918261
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1477.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	137.7 KB ID:	918263
      Last edited by ecowper; September 30, 2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Good info.! Thanks.... You also got a SUWYC in there! Also less dishes to clean afterwards.

RonB Thanks for all of y’all’s help. I just ordered me a set of the grill grates. I wouldn’t think it’s possible because of the holes, but on their website, they’re saying you can fry eggs!? Have any of y’all tried frying eggs on the griddle side? Check this out.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Panhead John; September 30, 2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to hear it. Did you get the full set, or two half moons? I mentioned concerns aboe about the two half moons working (they are not setup to mate with each other I am afraid).

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I ordered the 2 half moons. According to the pics on the website, and the description, each one does covers 45% of the grill space. I don’t need for them to connect. They can be placed next to each other, if I use both at the same time. There should be plenty of air space, as they stop short at the opening of the grill handles and don’t actually reach all sides of the grill. Thanks for your help and I’ll keep you posted after I use them. I’ll probably use only one for most of my cooks anyway
        Last edited by Panhead John; September 30, 2020, 09:34 PM.

Here’s a good pic Jim. It’s what sold me on 2 half moons.
      Attached Files

Comment

I just some made some smashburgers on the flats of my Grill Grates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200930_182714~2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	918405

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Burger looks grate! (groan)...... Like that plate too!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here