Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning a new set of Grill Grates question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning a new set of Grill Grates question

I read the new or best way to season Grill Grates is with an onion. My question is does the seasoning need time to set before cooking? Should I season with the onion first, then cook after the grates have had time to cool off or can I begin to cook right away?

I started cooking on them as soon as I opened the box. The first 3-4 cooks I oiled the grates before putting anything on them to cook. A year later and they are fantastic.

Comment

I too just start cooking on them.

Comment

What did it say in the box they came in?

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
          What did it say in the box they came in?
          They came in a plain cardboard box with a note that said they had run out of Care & Use Guides. The note included a link to their Care & Use Guide which mentions the onion method. https://www.grillgrate.com/care-and-cleaning/

Comment

You can cook right away after seasoning using the yellow onion method. It works very well on the rai side. It just seasons the very top of the rails, but that is what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by GolfGeezer View Post
              You can cook right away after seasoning using the yellow onion method. It works very well on the rai side. It just seasons the very top of the rails, but that is what you want.
              Thanks!

Comment

PS after using them regularly, they should look like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	AF98B6DE-838D-4D28-B419-4237CCA716BD.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	848653

Comment

I didn't season. I love them. Today's simple grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200519_191419.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	848670Click image for larger version

Name:	20200519_192125.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	848671

Comment

I actually like the flat side up better. Wasn’t really the idea when I got them, but they seem to stay seasoned really well though. Sometimes after a sticky cook, a little scraping and some high heat oil gets them back to business fairly easily.

Comment

I turned mine upside down, coated with peanut oil, I think peanut, plant oil not animal fo sho, then fired them up and started cooking.

Comment

I lathered mine with peanut oil, and carried on, found when cleaning I use a small very stiff copper brush, small like a tooth brush to get in between the grates,

Comment

A little oil is all you need. Seasoning tends to burn off with the high temps I cook at with my GGs. I just hit it with some oil right before I throw the meat on.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's replies!

Comment

I looked round a bit, an it seems this is what Noah & Co. recommend on their site, so I'd take it as gospel.

I jus slathered mine down with bacon grease, same way as I was raised/taught to season cast iron, an ain't had problem one.

I recently got a few new sets, fer additional kettles , Might try an onion on th rails, first.

Ain't doubtin th method, nor science, jus sayin that only gits bout 5-10% of th surface area, an I want mine more evenly seasoned, especial since they lives out of doors.

Do any yall only season a 2" spot, in th middle of yer brand spankin new 10.25" Lodge skillets?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here