Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Annual Mr. Bones Memorial Cook

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Annual Mr. Bones Memorial Cook

Welcome ladies, gentlemen and children of all ages to the second annual:

**These Bones Are For You**
    Mr. Bones Memorial Cook.

Just over one year ago we lost a dear friend, Mr. Bones
    Bonsey, as many of us called him, was a very special person. The first to greet and welcome new members. Often the first to reply to virtually all topics with a praise or the unique sense of humor that only he could give.
    I could go on and on about how wonderful he was, but this about all of us celebrating his life.

Without further ado, let the celebration begin.
    Now throughout this weekend and beyond let’s raise a glass and “show us your bones”. But please don’t let it be just bones. All cooks are more than welcome. What else do y’all got up your sleeves?
    . Click image for larger version  Name:	758B7CC9-BEF8-49AE-AE5E-D5A3C9578C28.jpg Views:	43 Size:	113.5 KB ID:	1395833
    Here’s to you Mr. Bones!

wibs on the barbie!!

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      10-4 glad to see your in on this
      How's life treating you

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Very glad to see you back, sit down and stay a while.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, 👍

Pulled out a rack of ribs this morning. I’ll sip a little jack daniels while I smoke for him.

Comment

I couldn't find a bone in corned beef, but I'll do my best to convert the ones I did find into pastrami.

Comment

I'm planning to do the other rack of Bison ribs that I recently bought along with some Duroc pork ribs and some beef ribs. Weather will determine if I cook Saturday or Sunday. I'll probably use the offset for this cook.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that's how I'm rolling too.

A wonderful tribute to a great man and friend. Thank you Steve B for putting this together. Lets get this thing started!

Comment

I have a symphony of Wibs to conduct. I just need an anchor for the cooker!

Comment

Short ribs on deck for tomorrow’s cook!

Comment

I'll claim my place in line right here. I will update this spot as my rib cook goes on. Doing 4 racks of St Louis ribs today for company. Using oak and ash wood on Ye Ole Yoder stickburner. I'm about to go prep them.

Ribs on at 12:30pm, right on time. The far right one is a new idea I'm trying, the others are my usual rub blend with brown sugar topper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230324_123027.jpg Views:	37 Size:	977.7 KB ID:	1396081 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230324_122943.jpg Views:	41 Size:	571.4 KB ID:	1396080

This is ~5pm, about 4.5hrs in:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230324_165039.jpg Views:	2 Size:	897.9 KB ID:	1396194 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230324_165051.jpg Views:	2 Size:	965.3 KB ID:	1396193

It was tough to get pics, so here's some of the thinner ribs that were left that I could get a shot of:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230324_224024.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1396582 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230324_224007 (2).jpg
Views:	314
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1396581 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230324_223942.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1396583

Comment

• gdsim1
                gdsim1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like you nailed em mister! 😃🙌

• Clawbear57
                Clawbear57 commented
                Editing a comment
                Next to last pic. Amazing.

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Gorgeous!

I am very bummed to not be able to participate. Can't use my smoker for another month due to lifting restrictions from my shoulder surgery. I thought about doing some wibs in the oven, but that would have killed Bonesy a second time!

Miss that man....
              Last edited by GolfGeezer; March 24, 2023, 09:34 AM. Reason: Typo in his knickname

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't think anyone would fault you for doing ribs in the oven, least of all Bonesy. Oven ribs are still mighty tasty... Especially considering your situation. I say do it!

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                We'd never know if you didn't post of pic of them in the oven or tell us.

• gdsim1
                gdsim1 commented
                Editing a comment
                As much of a bummer as it is, listen to the docs and heal up right. 👍 I’m sure Bonesy won’t mind a rain check - he knows you’re good for it! 😊

Good idea, Huskee, here's my spot.

Picked up a nicely marbled small rack of St. Louis cut and a rack of my favorites from Publix, the never-frozen pork loin back ribs. Peeled membranes, dusted with a little salt and hit with Meathead's pork rub. Will roll the LSG Adjustable out of the garage around noon and fire it up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-24 10.03.16.jpg Views:	33 Size:	3.97 MB ID:	1396008

Here we go!

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-24 13.11.11.jpg Views:	34 Size:	4.42 MB ID:	1396084

That's not white smoke. I put some boiling water in the drip pan.

And you'll never convince me I didn't somehow capture Bonsey's hand checking how good the insulation is on the cooker's lid.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-24 13.11.25.jpg Views:	34 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	1396085

Besides the corn, I also cooked up a box of au gratin potatoes.

Name:	2023-03-24 15.58.47.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	1396243

And the ribs were truly amazing:

Name:	2023-03-24 15.45.36.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	1396245

Name:	2023-03-24 15.48.04.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	1396244

It only seemed appropriate to plate this up as if I were expecting Bonsey to come by and pick up his box. Of course, it had to come with some whiskey for sipping.

Name:	2023-03-24 18.01.25.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	1396242

Here's to you, Bonsey. Savor all that blue smoke headed your way this weekend.

Name:	2023-03-24 18.18.48.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1396241
              And in the spirit of the generosity that was Bonsey, the leftovers have already gone home with my daughter, just as he'd do with Jessie.

Last edited by Jim White; March 24, 2023, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• gdsim1
                gdsim1 commented
                Editing a comment
                BAMMMMM!!! That’s how it’s done SON! 😃🙌

• efincoop
                efincoop commented
                Editing a comment
                Great looking cook!

• DaveD
                DaveD commented
                Editing a comment
                Superb! This right here sets the bar!

As stated earlier, im doing some forceprotection stuff.. I will post soon some pics from my last cook.. Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	1396040
              Last edited by Elton's BBQ; March 24, 2023, 09:38 AM. Reason: Grammar fubar

Comment

• Alan Brice
                Alan Brice commented
                Editing a comment
                Stay safe! btw, was unaware Circle"K" was international ;-)

• Elton's BBQ
                Elton's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                There is CircleK all over Norway.. Alan Brice

Like Huskee, I'll stake a claim right here, and post pics some time over the weekend when I smoke some beef back ribs I put out to thaw an hour ago... meant to do Dino ribs, but they don't got time to thaw at this point. Right now it's looking like either a fast cook this afternoon (blasphemy style) or a Sunday afternoon slow cook based on scheduling of my time by SWMBO - she already committed us to something on Saturday. I need to see if I am taking her to the movies late this afternoon, or cooking ribs...

Regardless of when I do the ribs, I am gonna fire up the Weber Kettle (Performer) for this cook, since the kettle was something Mr. Bones loved!

Click image for larger version  Name:	keep_calm_and_smoke_on.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.4 KB ID:	1396051

Ok folks, did my cook in Bonesy’s honor! A slab of USDA Choice beef back ribs I cut from a full prime rib back in November.

Ran the cook on the Performer, as I know kettles were one of his favorite cookers. Dry brined for a few hours, mustard slather and a home mix of beef dry rubs… little MMD, Big Bad Beef Rub and others.

Click image for larger version  Name:	06C706AA-6270-4F15-B8D8-C34447CD3417.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.07 MB ID:	1396822

Ran at 225 with the SNS and PartyQ, this pic is a few hours in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B6B9B482-C870-4428-8C6F-63A2F0920D38.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.45 MB ID:	1396824

Finished and looking barky!

Click image for larger version  Name:	D9524A4D-5B27-4346-B538-141DD03C6E75.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.87 MB ID:	1396820

Click image for larger version  Name:	27CFE01E-1F4C-4723-AD24-C63A83995909.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.19 MB ID:	1396825

Carved and ready to go…

Click image for larger version  Name:	DEA27090-B7E7-4B17-B9B2-75600A7DD232.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.19 MB ID:	1396823

And finally plated with some spaghetti squash and pequintos from Rancho Gordo.Click image for larger version  Name:	AE6489C2-DEF7-49A0-B1D4-F7CCAC783BE6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.94 MB ID:	1396821

‘I’m now having an after dinner toast to Bonesy. Smoke on y’all!
              Last edited by jfmorris; March 25, 2023, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                Give it up. You’re taking her to the movies. 😉😊

• DaveD
                DaveD commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautiful work Jim.

The rain has started here so it will be Sunday for our cook. Still will be thinking of him this entire weekend even before the meat hits the heat.

Name:	7BC83E0B-37D5-4F96-9E16-9DD00CF7FA57.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1396055

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Great pic of Mr. Bones Don! Thanks for posting, I remember that.

• Elton's BBQ
                Elton's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Intense stare..

Meeting the accountant Sat nite.(4 our annual pound o flesh) Kim n I are bringing the protein n dessert. Been teasin him w/brisky. So be it. This will begin my Bonesy memorial.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	12 Size:	3.91 MB ID:	1396060

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here