Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Statistics & Last Post Columns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statistics & Last Post Columns

Since you are moving the site to a new installation I request you fix the long standing problems with these two columns.
    As examples from Recent Post today:

The Favorite Quotes thread shows the last post by Stuey1515 at 3:18AM, however 7 members have posted in this thread since that time.

In the thread Fight Night! the Statistics column shows 0 posts yet people have posted to that thread today, and there have also been comments.

Keeping track of posts should work in forum software.

"Should" and "Will" have a very close working relationship. I'm glad I can't spell IT.

raywjohnson

Comment

Just as a FYI the move is the free site, it and the forum here are 2 different animals. But RayJ will see your suggestion regardless. What you're noticing is an ongoing issue that happens once in a while, I believe it's a system cache issue. Something similar is one user's avatar showing next to another user's name. To make sure if it's on your end or the system you can always try a hard refresh (cache clear) on your end. PC = Ctrl+F5 and for Mac it's Cmnd+R.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Why does the notice say Pitmaster Club Forum?

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Says "Pitmaster Club forum" in the notice above. And this problem exists after clearing all caches, and in several different browsers.
        Last edited by Donw; March 5, 2021, 05:54 PM.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        The cache issue is, IIRC, server side. Nothing each of us can do. There's a balance between providing real time views and server load. If you have a lot of traffic it's best to cache things so a sizable number of people see a prebuilt version of the page. But on a dynamic site, you want to see updates right away. There's a whole methodology around when to invalidate (clear) the cache on sites like this.

Oh, My bad. I thought y'all were referring to the free site's big upcoming change. I wasn't even thinking of this vBulletin switcheroo in the notice above.. my bad.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Whew....you had me worried my crap was jacked up!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing worse than jacked up crap.

Something I’ve been noticing the last several weeks or so. It’s taking a much longer time to change pages than normal. Especially when I’m clicking on messages. It sometimes takes 5 or 6 seconds to show my messages after clicking on "messages". And I have fast internet speeds. And it just starting happening a month or so ago. Anyone else noticing this lag time?
      raywjohnson
      Last edited by Panhead John; March 6, 2021, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• Stuey1515
        Stuey1515 commented
        Editing a comment
        In the last week or so it seems to take some time for the site to update when posting, to the point it seems there is something wrong

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Occasional extreme delays when posting for me. The little Working sign stays on so long that I often wonder is something crashed.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      I'm glad I can't spell IT.
      Classic...

Originally posted by Donw View Post
      Since you are moving the site to a new installation I request you fix the long standing problems with these two columns.
      As examples from Recent Post today:

The Favorite Quotes thread shows the last post by Stuey1515 at 3:18AM, however 7 members have posted in this thread since that time.

In the thread Fight Night! the Statistics column shows 0 posts yet people have posted to that thread today, and there have also been comments.

Keeping track of posts should work in forum software.
      I checked this out. It is as you say. It is not working correctly.

I did a little testing and found the problem. The cache is not updating. Not your browser cache, the forum software's cache. There is a function to clear it, but that should not be needed. When a new post is created, the cache is supposed to update so that when you view the thread list, you see the updated info.

I will put this on my fix it list.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here