Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Member locator Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon, I was talking about something a little more custom, but I like your idea. If I did this right then you should all be able to access my custom map here and can enter a pin if you wish.

Now if this works we need to puts some restaurants on with reviews as well so I know where to eat when passing through.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't add a pin to this. I don't see the option.

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      You can't just type your address in the box and click add a marker?

• BruceB
      BruceB commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems to work OK. click the pin icon, place it on the map and type in the member name in the box.

John can you set it up where different colored pins are used for member locations, vs restaurants? Say red = members, yellow= BBQ joints?

Comment

How about this: http://www.click2map.com/locate_the_...twork_on_a_map
      if someone has the patience and tech ability to proceed. It looks easy but I'll post it here for someone else to look at.

EDIT nevermind it looks to be subscription. I'm quite sure there are free services of this nature, like Google.
      Last edited by Huskee; August 13, 2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Technically anyone could edit that one, but they have to use the link (because I made it that way) so that should cut down most unwanted editing.

Comment

Yeah you can use custom markers. If others can't edit the one I posted I can compile from a list somewhere, or find a free host to host it and let others add.

Comment

There is nowhere to type an address, that I can see.
            Here is my screen cap:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	c.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	9991

Comment

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              How about now?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I had to log in in order to add a pin. Still very confusing in order for me to add my location and title it Huskee instead of the town (Farwell). It labels it as "B", and you're "A". If we get hundreds or thousands of members doing this, how would that work?

I like this idea! I like even more the idea of individual users inputting their own data as a means of support for a default opt in/opt out cpability. In addition the approach that John is using above allows for each "The Pit" member to control the granularity of the map to where exactly they put their pin. What I am trying to say is that I can either choose to put the pin precisely where I live, or I can put the pin in the middle of the town that is my mailing address without actually giving an exact location or address where I live. Obviously I would choose to input precise locations of really good Q locations so everyone could find them.

Comment

I agree completely Michael

Comment

I'm liking where this is heading, but think we need to have it officially controlled by the AR team if that's possible so that only club members can view and make edits to the map. Is that workable?

Comment

I'm in Texas, how big could that be?

Comment

I can come up with the html no problem, but to have it restricted and controlled by AR you would have to have your web hosting team set it up. If I had access it would take like 10 minutes once the html is done, so if you have a host who sets this all up they can do it or if you need to I can talk to your webmaster and help out.

Comment

All the data is in there, you just need someone that can have access to it, it all resides in a database somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                        I can come up with the html no problem, but to have it restricted and controlled by AR you would have to have your web hosting team set it up. If I had access it would take like 10 minutes once the html is done, so if you have a host who sets this all up they can do it or if you need to I can talk to your webmaster and help out.

John stay tuned. I'm raising this up to our developers to see if there's already a vB mod out there we can add to the forum.

Comment

Well, bad news/good news. Our IT guys think this is feasible but not quite as easy to implement as we are thinking it will be. There's also an issue with the pins, once they get to a high enough number, causing the map to slow down to a crawl. We're running down some higher priority items so this will happen, it's just not at the top of the list. So I guess it's bad/bad/good news really. I'll provide more updates when I have them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here