Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a Member Recipe Card Channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a Member Recipe Card Channel?

Cheef and I have been having a little side conversation that started about the Paprika app then turned into discussion about actual member recipes versus what fills a lot of the recipes section. He said a couple things that gave me an idea for another enhancement Meathead Huskee Ray W Johnson. If you like it, give Cheef all of the credit, if you hate it blame Panhead John, oops I mean me .

What about a channel locked down to only 'Recipe Cards' from members? I could see it working like this if it's possible somehow with forum software we have now or are getting soon:
    1. A template to post recipes to current recipe forum: template has sections for Ingredients, Directions, Pictures, other notes, etc.
    2. This template then posts the recipe to the general section now where it looks and behaves like a normal thread today, but puts a poll on it where after X (10? 20?) votes, the initial recipe card gets copied to a new locked thread in the Member Recipe Cards channel.
    3. This new 'locked' card is now a Member recipe where maybe it can have a rating/count system as the only user input as a way to find only recipes. From there we can search for recipes with high ratings, lots of ratings, etc. without having to wade through a bunch of posts that aren't necessarily followable recipes.

Anyone like this idea?

I like the idea, but only if we put my clam chowder recipe first. That way, all the recipes that follow will look really tasty by comparison. Whether or not they actually are.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I literally gagged everytime I passed the clam chowder bin at the restaurant I worked at in college. I thought of puking into it to make it better but needed fresh air quick.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Wouldn’t of happened if they’d used my recipe.

We are all trying to find a way to make recipes easier to find and use. I see a number of problems with your proposal.

1) The expense of all this custom programing could run about $10,000 and we just can't afford this at this time.

2) I think it is important for comments to be allowed. This allows members to ask questions. PROPER recipe writing is hard, a craft, and professionals like me work very hard at it. Still, occasionally, readers ask for clarifications, find ambiguities, ingredients left out of the procedures, typos, etc. That's why all the recipes on the free part of the site have comments. In addition, all our recipes are carefully tested and edited by others on the team.

3) A year or two ago we tried to select member recipes and publish them on the free part of the website. We discontinued it. It was a nightmare. Some of them were copyright violations. Getting them into the format we use for our other recipes was a real chore. Member egos were bruised.

4) We don't want any hurt feelings. With ratings, there will be hurt feelings.

Love to hear more ideas.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You can blame me, I don't mind. I've accepted that most likely it *was* my fault so no need for plausible deniability anyway JimLinebarger

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure about what runs the Pit, but just FYI, there are various ways to easily do this in WordPress for your free side redesign.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      still googling "pleasibility culpubility"......

glitchy at least we gave it a shot. Sounds like it would get complicated.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I realize this idea is different in scope and intent, but we learned from Hits From The Pit that the can of worms the good intentions inadvertently opens is just counterintuitive.

Ok, maybe not a great idea as is. Can definitely understand limitations if there would be significant financial cost. I've never run a forum, but I know with lots of software, we get channeled in and never use all the features that could possibly do something to help with a different way to do something new.

Lot's of options out there to sort actual recipes from the rest of the stuff though. Maybe even a couple 'volunteer' recipe moderators to move real recipes to a moderated section and keep them organized. I'm sure the Pit probably has a few trustworthy members that might like organizing stuff.

I can also understand the headaches you had before. I would personally be reluctant to post recipes in an open public site as I ofter use recipes as a guideline or starting point, so a lot of what's in my collection, I can't tell you if it's close to another recipe I've tweaked over the years, from scratch I concocted, or two recipes melded together (well, the couple I've done from scratch I probably can, but the rest nah). I have a couple picky eaters in the house, so often leave particular ingredients out or substitute when the listed ingredient is something they'll complain about. I do know my BBQ sauce is a web recipe with a one ingredient change that made it way better IMO. My primary rub was a word of mouth recipe from a co-worker 10-15 years ago, who knows where he got it. I've later broken it down myself to have a salt free version too.

Ahh, and feelings. Never even crossed my mind that we'd become upset if our treasured recipe only got 2 stars. Maybe there are other ways to get around that too like a "I've actually tried this recipe and like it" with no negative votes just to find recipes that others have tried and liked. Maybe nothing voting related needed, my initial thought was maybe long term we might be able identify recipes for a members' hits cookbook or something, but then you're back to all the headaches from before.

What about just specific channels that the only way to create a 'recipe' post is to follow a certain template, so you know required info and we follow a consistent format? Something possible with tools on? Let people comment, OP make corrections if needed, etc.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve been complimented quite a bit for my grilled Vienna Sausages and canned pork and beans!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John You got the recipe for grilled dogs from me a week or two ago, don't forget that

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Wrong Huskee I already had the hot dog recipe, I just stole your grate probe idea to perfect the cooking temp.

A good start is if you post an actual recipe (not just food & technique talk) add the tag "recipe" to it while you're creating the post. We can search by tags here.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tags1.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	930128

On that note, if y'all find recipes in the various Food channels, even if they're comments or replies within another topic (main post) please mention (@) me and I can add the tag "recipe" to them. If we all get in this habit it will help a lot to find them!

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe you only see Tags and Advanced Options when you create a new post?
      Edited--nope I was wrong.
      Last edited by Cheef; October 27, 2020, 09:20 PM.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea - thanks for pointing out tags - I've never used them, but will look into it. Might be handy for finding some of my own posts that I want to refer back to. For example, I was just looking for my chili post from last year.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      mnavarre thanks for bringing that up, I see RayJ (@raywjohnson) already investigated that, (stupid feud between i-devices and vBulletin anyway..) treesmacker tags, as far as I know, will only work if the tags have been put on the post, in other words it won't work on your old posts unless you added tags when you made them. Otherwise Advanced Search would be your best bet, there you can search post body or titles, members (such as yourself), etc.

yeah, I don't know, think of a book store, go to the cooking section, count up all the cook books and different recipes and try to manage them.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I get overwhelmed with just the 4 cookbooks I have. Meathead, America's Test Kitchen, Operation BBQ Relief Cookbook, and Food Lab. Oy, too much, cannot compute.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Warning Will Robinson, LOL

Huskee
    Attached Files

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      raywjohnson I see Tags now. Should we also see advanced options or is that reserved for staff?

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. Still not showing in Safari 14.0 on macOS 10.14.6. or 10.15.6

• raywjohnson
      raywjohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy Advanced Options are for staff. The only option is to allow HTML.

Okay, now my feeling is really hurt. And it's the last one I have left, too!

Comment

I wouldn't use it. If I'm looking for a recipe, I google it, then take the average of several results along with taking into account what I have in the pantry. And of course I always check to see if there's an official AR version.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        It's just a way to help members here find recipes here, in our forum, other member-submitted recipes. Some members have said things like "I can't ever find recipes, just food talk". Well, placing the tag "recipe" when we post a recipe will help solve that. That's all.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, I didn't mean the tag. I meant the original suggestion. The tag is good functionality

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Great, now my feelings are hurt. Ha! Totally kidding, I'm not personally invested in this, just have heard the comment numerous times so threw an idea at the dart board to hopefully spark other ideas. Tags are definitely a start to something better now that more users can see the option.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here