Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitmaster club is not for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pitmaster club is not for me

This is an incredibly cumbersome way to organize things. Sorry but I don't have the time to wade through everything to find useful info. Amazing ribs is a far better format.

The pitmaster club for me is all about the forum and having a place to discuss BBQ/Grilling cooking.

Comment

David 32 Welcome to the Pit! Hopefully by the end of your trial period you'll feel differently. As ComfortablyNumb said you will usually get quick help with any question. Believe me, I have lots of them. People here have many ways of approaching a result they are looking for. They can give you in depth advice on practically any type cooker you are using. And so many other things are discussed that you can't find on the free part of the site. And everyone is friendly. I hope you stick around and become a full member. And don't forget your membership helps contribute to BBQ Rescue. And you may even win a very generous prize just because you are a member. But whatever you choose to do, best of luck to you!

Comment

Aloha!

Apparently it means both hello and goodbye.

The free site is a great place for tested recipes, articles, and other content.

The pit is a bit more chaotic. But the search function is highly useful (if underused, and not quite perfect), and the interaction is where the value is. While the free site presents things that have passed testing to the author's palate, others have different techniques that work well for their preferences. Everyone's preferences are different, so maybe the free site works for you, maybe you want to go a bit deeper into the wonderful variety.

As I said, preferences are personal, and I can totally see a preference for the free site. So, if that's your preference, that's good. It's better for the More Cooker Syndrome, actually. Spending too much time in the Pit and you are liable to get a severe and expensive case of MCS.

Comment

I have been in the Pit since 2014 and have to admit that either the search engine is limited in its ability to do a narrow search or I haven’t figured out how to use it.

That being said the Pit is a great place to ask questions and get guidance born out of Pit members experience. For me, that is often faster than searching. In addition, it has been lots of fun both helping and receiving help.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            You're right, and we're exploring some ways to improve the search engine here, Henrik and raywjohnson are on it!

Welcome from Virginia. I have deleted all of my "social media" accounts and spend any spare time reading here on the forum. There is not a day that goes by where I do not learn something from these great folks. My recommendation would be to hang in here. You will not regret it. Most of all this is one fantastic group of people....

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Boom!

• Timbo54
            Timbo54 commented
            Editing a comment
            I 3rd those comments.

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the only social media site I've ever belonged to. Can't think of a reason to go anywhere else.

Welcome! Sorry to read that your first hello is a goodbye.

Something to keep in mind- we are a forum. WAYYYY different than a website. We're a community bulletin board of sorts, live, or near-live interaction with fellow members.

A website is a static collection of articles.

Forums are not for everyone, we get it. But, in case you care to read through it, here's what else paid membership gets you, and who else it helps: [scroll down to read through the perks] https://amazingribs.com/information-...pitmaster-club
          and for help on how to get around here, how to navigate, how to post pics, etc etc etc, see our Help center which walks you through many different how-to topics: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/help

As a Free Trial Member who joined today, literally only a few hours ago, you've not experienced what The Pitmaster Club forum can offer you in the months to come.. you've also neither won nor lost anything while giving us a try. But, thanks for at least giving us a try.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            He has also gained an ad-free experience on the main site which is nice.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said Huskee. And to the poster, it ain't for everyone. Thanks for stopping by.

The website is a static broadcast. The forum is an interactive peer to peer network. Different purposes, different uses, different reasons to visit. If your cook went sideways the website can't help, but post what you did here and you will get answers.

Comment

I completely agree about that searching the pit can be extremely cumbersome and not always on topic.... however as others have mentioned it is more about the interaction once you are in here...

Best of luck to you... Smoke on!

Comment

I shamelessly steal ideas off of here all the time. Have some patience and get a feel for the place.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                A great songwriter/guitarist once said "if you're a musician, you're going to steal; the artistry comes in know what to steal and how to use it"!

I think the same applies to cooking of all kinds.

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                No shame.

David 32 Sorry to hear you feel that way. The forums here are exactly that - discussion forums. It is a place to ask questions and get answers, and is organized by category. It's not the same as the information presented on the free site. For that we have, well, the free site. Think of this as Facebook for BBQ, and more organized by categories. The easiest way I use it is to simply click the Recent Posts button at the top of the page each time I login, and I see if any of the recent topics interest me. If I start a new topic, I try to start it in the appropriate category.

I have to reiterate that this is a discussion forum. I participate in some forums on other subjects (brewing, firearm related, etc), and pretty much all of the discussion forums work like and are organized just like this one. If you have never used a forum, or bulletin board, then its just something new you have to get used to.

Use the search engine if you are looking for information on something, and if the search yields no results, just ask your questions.

Comment

What a way to say hello. 💩 🕶

Comment

• Gunderich_1
                  Gunderich_1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL!!! Right?

I lurked on amazingribs for a year or two before joining and yes it is different than the free site. I remember it being a little disappointing after the first few times in, but after I discovered the recent posts link and the podcasts, it started to make a whole lot of sense. I still go to the free site for recipes and reviews but come here for the ‘Q’amaraderie.

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ‘Q’maraderie is a word I have not heard before. Cool!

If you know everything you want to cook, and
                Everything about the cookers you have or want, and
                If you know how to cook everything, and
                If your cooks are always perfect,
                you don't need The Pit.
                If not, give it a few days - it will cost you nothing. And if you do need some info, all you have to do is ask. We love to help.
                Last edited by RonB; April 13, 2019, 07:18 PM.

Comment

In case you haven't discovered it yet, do check out "Recent Posts" close to the top of page that you go to immediately after signing in. "Recent Posts" is where the action is.

Whether you stay or go, best wishes to you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here