Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really? Your emailing me ads now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huskee

Today, 09:16
    I never thought our members would view things we try to arrange for them and notify them of as spam. Point taken. Let us think of a happy solution.

happy things and solutions

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9358.PNG
Views:	165
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	400546 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post

happy things and solutions

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9358.PNG
Views:	165
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	400546 ​​​​​​​
      Indeed. Look at that cute little warm fuzzy wuzzy pile of goodness. And someone's cat too.

Comment

Dang, got one email from AR about a special for ALL pit members and people wants to complain about it. Being a pit member going on four years and I think that’s the first email I have gotten about a special deal for pit members only. Don’t know about other pit members but I like special deals especially when it’s about grills or smokers. No complaints here.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Shoot! If I didn't have five kids I would buy it!

To quote Charlie Brown, "Good grief"! I'm not seeing a problem here ...

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          👍👍👍

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Right!

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

Spam is unsolicited emails/offers, typically from untrusted sources. You're all paying members here. Our members allow us to contact them with account-specific emails and newsletters unless they unsubscribe, so we're not unsolicited. And we're not sending emails out for our gain. We get nothing from the PK360 sale, it was something created for our members, negotiated with PK themselves. You can unsubscribe if you view our communications as spam or "unsolicited" ads, anyone can. Just know that our intent is only to offer perks and values to our members. We can't control how this is received or interpreted. That being said, let us think on this and maybe we can limit these announcements to Pit-only posts. Of course this will rule out MANY who don't log in to The Pit, but if that's what the members want. Mh & I and Paul will have to weigh this out.
        To be fair Huskee, you will have to poll all members, not just active members. No one knows what percentage of inactive members like the "Pit only specials". Just sayin'.....

And the plot thickens...

Comment

Huskee Most forum software have plugins that allow you to do things like newsletter subscriptions. That way mail of this type is 'opt-in' and controlled by the end user. That way you can include links to things via a newsletter, and it shouldn't be considered SPAM. Then you can put a sticky post about 'update your subscription preferences' up and ppl can choose to subscribe. Some of the software even has options for multiple types of newsletters... goings on, equipment, how-to, etc. Just my $0.02

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Our system is not that sophisticated yet.

Brainstorming, member consideration, reviewing AR rules, and taking the time to make an informed decision are all necessary components to arriving at the best solution here. Welp. Good luck on that! I'll go where you go!

Comment

If it was a offer from fireboard with a cable,fan and case for $5.00 only to the ar members would we be having this conversation? I would venture that a different post would be up about the great deal they got thanks to the ar site

Comment

I hear you. So you have me in a quandry. Paul is actively out there seeking special deals for members. In a week or so he will tell you about the deepest discount ever on Thermapen and/or Smoke. Should we cancel it?

Comment

• Deaf Arty
                Deaf Arty commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely no way should you cancel it!

• shush
                shush commented
                Editing a comment
                FWIW, my comment above was an attempt to help solve this 'complaint'. I thought the notification was worthwhile (I even considered taking him up on it, but the wife had other plans).

• billg71
                billg71 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hell no!!!!

Even though I just bought a Smoke Gateway and have at least 6 Thermoworks thermometers in the house. 6 might not be enough!

The email doesn't bother me. But I also saw the post here on the forum.

Comment

Posting the deal on the forum is great, but that only reaches a small percentage of those members who actively participate. I'm sure part of the leverage and reason AR can get the deals is the ability to communicate with ALL nearly 30,000 members....volume! I have no problems with the email deals, but if someone is very dead set against it, they can opt out. That may mean they won't get emailed newsletters but they can then come to the Pit to get them, just as some are suggesting the deals be handled.

Comment

What if you could opt out of these sort of deal based communications while still opting in for the newsletter? Members like TheCountofQ would need to manually opt out at the bottom of the email.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Meathead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We don't have that capability at this time.

I agree with Psinderson - the clout comes from the total membership - not just the active members. If it's only posted in the Pit, the participating retailers have no chance of seeing the results they want, and probably won't make any more offers to AR.

The solution seems to be to find a way for the Count to opt out of these emails. I say that only partly tongue in cheek because he's the only one posting that he is upset.

Comment

My thermapen was confiscated to the kitchen.

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      On second thought, Meathead, don’t cancel it. Samething happened to me with my ThermaPen, so I need another one. 🤓

/Flamesuit On

No, not a need to cancel it. But, you've crossed a line. "special offers" were not a part of the definition of things that might be mailed to people in the pit. You should put them in the edge of the web pages outside of the pit. You can put a banner at the top of the Pit's home page. You can put them in the special offers section of the forums.

Once you send an email, what's to stop you from working with a vendor to place an ad in everyone's mailbox and get revenue from it? Whether I like the particular product or not, it's a principle. If the volume of the entire signed up base is what's making the deal possible, then you are leveraging my "paid" membership for your benefit. Since it's so difficult to come up with a winner in the monthly give-a-way, I have to believe that most of those who are not logging in to the pit don't even read those emails or have them going directly to SPAM.

I'm not saying another word, but if another email with a blatant product offer shows up in my Inbox, I'll be canceling my membership, marking your email addresses as SPAM, and submitting those email addresses to every blacklist on the planet.

I personally think it's a pledge you violate by having someone on board whose purpose is to create email blitzes for "great deals". Putting them on your web pages is one thing, putting them in my Inbox is not what I signed up for. For all the concern you expressed about not putting advertising on the web pages of paid members, I can't believe you think this is OK.

Just my personal opinion,
                    Jim

/Flamesuit Off

Comment

• Meathead
                      Meathead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As a member benefit we also pledged to get you "Special Discounts On Products We Love". Stated right here: http://amazingribs.com/pitmaster_club

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s easier for folks to complain instead of reading the facts.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here