Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Browsing at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browsing at work

So, I often browse this site during little breaks at work, or I'll have it up so that I can check in while something else on my computer is running. One thing that makes me uncomfortable is the big, colorful, flashing "ads" on the right hand banner. I realize it probably isn't practical to hide these as I assume they generate some revenue for the website, but is there a way to make it less obvious to everyone around me that I'm not doing work at that moment? I promise it is just a quick 3-minute check!

As a Pit Member, I don't think you should be seeing those ads - I don't.

Comment

RonB I know we don't call them ads which is why I put it in quotes, but they are still more or less ads. See picture below for what I see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	side bar.PNG
Views:	175
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	356549

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I do see those, but since I'm retired, I don't worry about them.

Press n hold lower LH "Ctrl" button...
      Press "Shift +" a time, or two...
      Poof, "Bob's yer Uncle!"
      To restore normal screen size, press/hold "Ctrl", then poke "Ctrl, then 0"
      (or press/hold "Ctrl", then poke "Minus", as needed...

This work on my Windoze puters...

If yer on a different device, or OS, mebbe someone will be able to help ya'...

Comment

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        Why didn't I think of that before?? Brilliant!

Yeah, just use your cursor to make th page skinnier. The "ads" will drop off once you do that. Or at least they do on my screen.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 8.56.37 PM.png
Views:	161
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	356554

Comment

Lol I have thought the same thing! I like to check in at work and see new threads whenever I have a slow moment.

Comment

I find myself missin' th' super early, DOS days...
          Many of the earliest DOS games had a kinda 'Panic' button, which called up what is/was known as a 'Boss Screen'
          Most of 'em brought up an image of a 'spreadsheet'...

Comment

I was going to suggest Spinaker's idea as well. Shrinking the window also enlarges the pictures, or it used to anyway. I'm on mobile now so I can't test it out.

Comment

Fer us older folks, my method actually enlarges th' type 'm pics summat, allowin us not to squint, vs reducin' th' page size.
              I suggest try all methods, see which tickles yer fancy...

Comment

Or, you could just use the zoom function in the menus and pick a size that works, getting rid of the right margin, and getting the meat of the posts to occupy the entire screen.

Oh, and BTW Mr. Bones The people of the mainframe era didn't really consider a DOS PC to be more than a toy. I was making them do useful work for people in many departments in 1983, but that was a rarity in most businesses. Once we started hooking them on Novell Netware or Banyan Vines networks, we could measure the usage on the computers. If someone was playing games, I had a piece of software to send down that would swirl the screen text and make the sound of a flushing toilet. Time wasters knew they had been caught No one had even approached their desks.

Best regards,
                Jim

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL, I was there, in '83, doin' puter stuff...'76, in fact.
                  I cam imagine' a YUGE spike, where a user exceeded a kilobyte trippin yer alarm.
                  First puter I learned on ate punch cards, an' shat green bar paper..
                  No KB, no mouse, no screen. Size of a semi trailer. Tubes n relays...

1972 Honeywell 1200. No disk teletype keyboard,5 tape drives, 1 chain printer. That was the start of my career
                started programming in 1963. 7th grade science project was a payroll system written in Easycoder on Honeywell 400 mainframe. That one had 8K of memory. I got an A😳

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweet Deal!!! It was long after I met Mr. Puter that our school system ever had a magnetic tape drive, etc...
                  Home, fer me, TI99/4A, TRS-80(s), Atari, Commodore lol!
                  A watch has more CPU speed, memory, an throughput than alla those put together, plus th' Apollo craft...

School didn't have it. My father was manager of "data processing" in a big company in downtown Chicago. He put the first Honeywell mainframe in private business. All others were in government.

Programs were on punched cards. Compiled to a BRT (binary run tape)

first machine I learned to program was an IBM 407 accounting machine. Programmed via a metal board and wires plugged between locations. That's when Watson was really at IBM. Thomas Watson Jr. to be exact.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here