Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frasmik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frasmik

I did my 1st pork shoulder smoke a few weeks back. I used my 18.5 WSM and followed your recipe, including the Memphis Dust, exactly. I used your recommended; Auber SYL-1615SYS-W fan, Maverick ET-732 and ThermoPop thermometer. 15 hours later it came out perfect. So perfect it never made it off the counter to the table where the slaw, toasted buns were waiting. Thirty minutes off the grill and almost unable to move from perfect pulled pork, we concluded we could hold our own in any Zombie apocalypse!

I’m ready for my next experiment and plan to add a 14-15 lb Full Packer for a larger scale family party I’m planning (it will include “To Die for Ribs, I’ve done on my old Weber with a Smokenator!) Easy question; which hunk a meat would you recommend on the bottom rack?

Welcome frasmik

Comment

Welcome from Colorado!

Comment

Originally posted by frasmik View Post
        I did my 1st pork shoulder smoke a few weeks back. I used my 18.5 WSM and followed your recipe, including the Memphis Dust, exactly. I used your recommended; Auber SYL-1615SYS-W fan, Maverick ET-732 and ThermoPop thermometer. 15 hours later it came out perfect. So perfect it never made it off the counter to the table where the slaw, toasted buns were waiting. Thirty minutes off the grill and almost unable to move from perfect pulled pork, we concluded we could hold our own in any Zombie apocalypse!

I’m ready for my next experiment and plan to add a 14-15 lb Full Packer for a larger scale family party I’m planning (it will include “To Die for Ribs, I’ve done on my old Weber with a Smokenator!) Easy question; which hunk a meat would you recommend on the bottom rack?
        Good stuff!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. I would put the ribs on top since they will cook faster. Leave a couple of hours for the brisket to rest in a Cambro!

Comment

• frasmik
            frasmik commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, I see I wasn't clear.im going to do the shoulders with the brisket on the wsm. I'll do the ribs on the old kettle. So, the question is the shoulder or brisket on the bottom? I'm guessing the shoulder?

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry I misread! With shoulder and brisket, I would probably start with the pork on the upper rack, then watch temperatures. If one hunk of meat is cooking significantly faster, then you can rotate them.

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            If you intend to wrap one or the other, I would wrap after you see a good bark formed, say 170-180F. Also I would hold both in a Cambro for a couple of hours once probe-tender.

Welcome to The Pit. As mentioned above, the brisket will get even better if you rest it in a cambro of some type - a regular cooler will work.

Comment

• frasmik
            frasmik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I'll try it.

Howdy from The Great State of Jefferson! My brisket is sitting in the cambro/cooler as we speak.

Comment

I might put the brisket on top so the drippings from the pork don't hurt the bark on the brisket. Rotate is a good idea too.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, MD! We're glad you joined us.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here