Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I search for a phrase like "chicken breast"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I search for a phrase like "chicken breast"?

I'm cooking chicken breasts tomorrow and it will be a challenge. I'm trying to see what people have talked about before and use the benefit of their experience. But, every time I search for "chicken breast", I get every result that has the word chicken, and the word breast. I tried putting the phrase in double quotes and that didn't work either. Do I need to use brackets, or parentheses or something? I went to advanced search and it was no help.

Are you looking for a recipe for chicken breast?

Comment

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I am looking for other people's experiences with chicken breasts and what to look out for.

Chicken breast should work, and only return posts that have both chicken and breast in it. There appears to be a bug where only the chicken is highlighted, but if you read carefully in the posts that are returned, the word breast will be in there somewhere.

What it doesn't appear to be able to do is search for the phrase "chicken breast".

But what might help you find what you're looking for is to check the box to search in the title only.

Comment

I think that he's trying to search for the exact string "chicken breast" ("chicken" "space" "breast") ... not just a post containing the words "chicken" and "breast". It's easy using SQL in a database like Oracle, but there's no obvious way to do the same thing here in the Pit.

Comment

Use the "+" symbol between the words. Make sure there is a space on both sides of the "+".

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          Use the "+" symbol between the words. Make sure there is a space on both sides of the "+".
          Unfortunately, that returns posts that contain both the words "chicken" and "breast" ... not posts that contain only the exact string "chicken breast".

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct - I didn't look down the results far enough...

I think the problem is that boolean searches are not enabled. Big Jim maybe you can check into his? It's a user group permissions setting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here