Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceramic/Komodos/BGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mal Passado View Post
    You wouldn't prefer the Eggzilla????
    That's hilarious. Which came first the egg or the tiny egg? No I would want an oval one, then I can do both direct and indirect.

And yes Pit Boss, if someone is offering me the JD edition I will accept it gladly!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
      And yes Pit Boss, if someone is offering me the JD edition I will accept it gladly!
      Yes Sir, but it appears you want the table too! (based on your pic)

Comment

I think the JD edition comes with the table standard.

Comment

I'm not so sure about that.

Comment

Maybe i mistakenly assumed. I don't need it, I have a table.

Comment

Maybe i mistakenly assumed. I don't need it, I have a table.

Roger that. We just need to start a "Support Huskee's Jack Daniels Primo XL habit" thread and see how far we can get!

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                The great ideas just keep coming!

I'm on my phone and don't feel like going to a webpage otherthan this...So what makes it the JD edition? A logo? I thought it was the cart.

Comment

I'm on my phone and don't feel like going to a webpage otherthan this...So what makes it the JD edition? A logo? I thought it was the cart.
                Based on the Amazon link it appears to be a JD logo and a wicked black paint job. Maybe it's just the normal paint though, I'm not sure.

Comment

I don't need it, just the regular xl!

Comment

I believe all the Primo's are black, the only difference with the JD's version is you have, Jack Daniels painted on the front and for only $205 more....with the table an additional $679. So, yes to save us $884 dollars we will go for just the XL without the Jack Daniels logo and table.

Huskee...you can still make a reverse sear (direct/indirect) on the BGE. But I belive you need at least the Large or better yet the XL to have the room. I have done two ways. The Primo oval is already prepared for this as it has the divider as part of the set-up. On the BGE I make a pile of lump on one side and light it and keep the vents almost all the way closed and the lid closed. I start more or less the way I would prepare for a low and slow. When I am close to 110deg I start fanning or blowing on the coals to get them hot and then move the meat over the direct side, (I have recently looked at the BBQ Dragaon), would be a great addition. And the more difficult way is to put the plate setter and set it up for indirect and when you reach temp, remove the grill, plate setter, replace the grill and then sear. I have one more way to try and that is to have an additional grate just above the coals and when I remove the plate setter place the meat just above the coals. Coming Soon. And there is always the lazy way. Indirect on the BGE and then gas grill for the sear. Or MH's way and indirect and then go for the towering inferno chimney. I have also seen several other ways on-line. Some people put a half of pizza stone on one side to create the indirect side. Here are some photos of a Santa Maria Tri-tip I did with reverse sear.

PS I was passing my mouse over the page and it went over your sig and a photo of a steam locomotive popped up and then I realized it was just your smoker

Comment

Thanks for the info Mal, I really appreciate your post. Yes, I tried resizing my Locomotive's picture to thumbnail, and it shrinks it when in the edit mode, but it remains large once saved, not sure why! Lol. I may just have to shrink the source file, then reupload it.

There is no way the table and JD logo are worth that upcharge, but they're a premium retailer and those that want that will pay that, like expensive wine and Cadillacs. For $40 worth of lumber, $35 in casters and a few hours time I can make a better cart for it!

If I ever get my Primo I will create an informative how-to section on it, until then I will read your posts.

Comment

Yes the tables are outrageous, the price they charge. I looked at a few BGE tables and they want over $600 for them. I can make one for a portion of that. I already have my inspiration for my table that I will make next spring. The only modification instead of the faux cambro opening from the top, I want to put a real Cambro opening from the front.

Comment

Mal I see you're an old vine Zinfandel fan. Have you tried Dry Creek? I think it's an awesome bang for the buck.

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It took me sampling some from a friend to get the very vast differences in "white Zinfandel" and "Zinfandel" straight in my head too. Zinfandel is a strong red reminiscent of a merlot in my book.

• Mal Passado
                            Mal Passado commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Pit Boss, I was referring to "White Zinfandel". When someone hears Zinfandel they automatically think of the pinkish girly drink and don't realize that zinfandel is also a dark red and the old vine zinfandel is even better. Imagine drinking a zinfandel with vines that are over 100 years old. There is a cheap one I like a lot called...Gnarly Head, just the name says it all, goes for around $10.

• David Parrish
                            David Parrish commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah white Zin is something altogether different

Pit Boss...any thought on adding a Kamado/BGE/Primo sub-forum???? Not to be confused with the komodo (which is a lizard). It would be nice to start sharing advice/techniques with the ceramic community. With all the PBC conversations going around, I am thinking of buying a PBC just to be able to share cooking advice.

If it is any consolation, just take a look at Max Good's picture, there is an XL BGE behind him (it may even be the eggzilla). And he is the equipment guru!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't mess with the guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxgood.png
Views:	125
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	20701

Comment

Mal we're just waiting to hear from a few Kamado owners that are interested in maintaining the channel similar to what the members are doing over in the PBC sub channel

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here