Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Search Feature / Filter Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Search Feature / Filter Needed

So recently I have been trying to search some topics. Things that I know I have seen in the past but can't find right away because it is buried under a mountain of new posts etc... So I try to go search it and in a number of cases I get a message saying there are too many results (something like that). I try adding words or deducting words etc... but it still can be a somewhat futile effort.

For example:

I fired up my new pit barrel cooker this evening and was having some issues with the lid. I know I have seen multiple threads about it and was trying to find a couple. I typed in: PBC Lid .... and the answer I received was:
    "Your criteria is not restrictive enough and might return too many results. Please restrict your criteria and try again."

Surprised I tried a few variation with the same result.... Finally I tried: PBC Lid Temperature .... Finally I got some hits.... only to scroll down and find there were 34 pages worth of results!!!! That is still a little rough to sift through.

Not sure if there would be a way to add a somewhat more comprehensive "advanced search" feature or something like that...

Yes I did try: quotes, and, &, - , title search only, etc... still somewhat cumbersome and frustrating.....

Love the site, Love the forum, Wouldn't trade it for anything.... Just an observation that as our community grows (great problem to have) and posts become more frequent and more and more new topics are generated... it is burying some good information... to an extent we are starting to see not only duplicate topics but topics that appear over and over again... Maybe this would help people better utilize and find information... Just a thought.

respectfully,

nate

I've run into exactly the same problem. It gets frustrating real fast!

Comment

oldsteve , I agree.... I hate starting another thread asking the same or similar question that I know has been answered before. Feel like I'm junking up the forum when I do that.... And/Or I also hate bothering people with private messages asking them the same thing I know they have answered a number of times for people....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here