Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reply vs comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reply vs comment

I have noticed that when you add a post or reply to a post the post gets bumped to the top. However, when you comment on a post or reply, the post does not get bumped to the top. Is that just me, or is that the site? It seems to me that comments should also bump a post to the top.
    Could it be that when I comment to a reply on a post that I started, that does not bump the post to the top?

I have noticed the same thing & wondered why.
    Dave

Comment

Comments are meant to be a quick message/side conversation that isn't really part of the larger discussion. That's why they are treated differently. Here's a post I made a couple of months ago:

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
      OK we had a pretty lengthy discussion on this suggestion and here's what we came up with:

1) Our research and informal feedback tells us most folks do like the comments
      a) They allow someone to make a quick "nice pic!" response on page 5 of a 10 page thread without having to bring the distant past up to the very end of the thread again with a quote. This has the secondary benefit that it keeps a photo from being quoted repeatedly, which gets tiresome.
      b) It allows off topic questions, relevant to a single post, to run their course without hijacking the thread. As example, someone could talk about their awesome tailgate party and how much they liked their new tailgate grill, and share a pic. The main topic is the new grill, but Jon Solberg wants to know if those are his keys sitting on the tailgate next to the grill. He can ask in a comment without making the center discussion all about his keys
      2) When someone exceeds a certain amount of characters it's highly likely what they have to say really isn't a comment. It's something that should be center stage in the discussion. That said, 250 might be too low. We have upped it to 300.
      3) When someone exceeds a certain amount of characters in a comment they aren't committing an error, and the pop up window should not have the word error in it. We've edited the pop up window to be a much more friendly message.
      4) From now on when you hit the comment button there will be a hint there that tells you in advance there is a 300 character limit.

We think these changes are a nice improvement to the comment system. Please try them on for a while and let us know what you think!

Pit Boss

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx PB - did I do this right?..

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        David Parrish - The comments are BOMB. Any chance of a countdown reminder showing us how many characters we have used and how many remain? Something like a 125/175 meaning 125 used and 175 remaining?

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        No but the thing to remember is comments really should be short anyway so if you're constantly hitting the character limit you're probably commenting when you should be replying.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here