Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still can't access the pit from Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still can't access the pit from Chrome

I tried clearing my browsing history and cahce but I still get the error message when trying to access the site via Chrome. Any suggestions? What have others done here?

You might need to flush your DNS cache.

If you're on a Windows PC, open a Command Prompt (Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt
    and type

ipconfig /flushdns

Restart Chrome and see if it fixed it.

Jim

Comment

I've been utilizing chrome without issue. How the DNS flush helps!

Comment

DNS info gets saved in Windows (and other OS). If it has the wrong address, it can get it from the cache, and continues to go to the wrong place until that info expires. Sometimes the virus guys have code that will "poison" the cache with re-routing information.

It really doesn't have anything to do with Chrome. It's just how the computer figures out where to go in response to a request.

Jim

Comment

I am actually on a MAC so that might be the problem. I am thinking I may only be able to access the Pit from my phone going forward. That's a shame.

Comment

How to Clear DNS Caches in Mac OS X Yosemite or El Capitan

To reset cache you need to use the Terminal. Find the Terminal app in /Applications/Utilities/ or open it with Spotlight. Target both UDNS (Unicast DNS) and MDNS (Multicast DNS) with two different commands to fully flush all DNS caches in the most recent version of OS X.

Clear MDNS Cache

sudo discoveryutil mdnsflushcache

Press return key and enter the admin password when asked.

Clear UDNS Cache

sudo discoveryutil udnsflushcaches

Another time, press return key and enter the admin password when asked. In the second command the caches is plural, a small but crucial syntax variation.

Comment

Thanks for the MAC info, Mark.

BTW, if anyone has a Linux device, or some other piece of hardware, or they don't want to find (and remember) the commands, most DHCP enabled devices (get IP address from server, router, etc.) will get their DNS cache reset with just a complete restart of the unit.

So, if all else fails, shut it down and restart it and try again.

Jim

Comment

I use a mac and have never had a problem.

Comment

Can you access if from a different browser on the same computer?
                  If so, try resetting chrome. Settings > Advanced Settings > Reset Settings.
                  Also what is the message you get?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here