Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot post comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a forum iliterate like me can use this site without much trouble anyone should be able to do the same. I'm just sayin! LOL!
    Last edited by vandy; March 23, 2016, 01:35 PM. Reason: By the way the wind has been blowing at around 30 to 40 MPH for the last few here so I feel very windswept right now if you know what I mean!

Comment

OK we had a pretty lengthy discussion on this suggestion and here's what we came up with:

1) Our research and informal feedback tells us most folks do like the comments
      a) They allow someone to make a quick "nice pic!" response on page 5 of a 10 page thread without having to bring the distant past up to the very end of the thread again with a quote. This has the secondary benefit that it keeps a photo from being quoted repeatedly, which gets tiresome.
      b) It allows off topic questions, relevant to a single post, to run their course without hijacking the thread. As example, someone could talk about their awesome tailgate party and how much they liked their new tailgate grill, and share a pic. The main topic is the new grill, but Jon Solberg wants to know if those are his keys sitting on the tailgate next to the grill. He can ask in a comment without making the center discussion all about his keys
      2) When someone exceeds a certain amount of characters it's highly likely what they have to say really isn't a comment. It's something that should be center stage in the discussion. That said, 250 might be too low. We have upped it to 300.
      3) When someone exceeds a certain amount of characters in a comment they aren't committing an error, and the pop up window should not have the word error in it. We've edited the pop up window to be a much more friendly message.
      4) From now on when you hit the comment button there will be a hint there that tells you in advance there is a 300 character limit.

We think these changes are a nice improvement to the comment system. Please try them on for a while and let us know what you think!

Pit Boss

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        👍

2 character minimum/300 maximum. One cannot post just an emoji. I just tried that.😎
        Last edited by Breadhead; March 24, 2016, 05:10 PM.

Kudo's to you guys for figuring this all out!

Comment

Regardless of imperfections that will always be present in any system from here to Jupiter, I think The Pit and its IT team are A++++. #bestforumever

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto that Huskee! I might add that if you exceed the 300 character limit, just select all your comment, cut, and then paste wherever you are going to post and you don't have to retype.

fuzzydaddy Yep, Ctrl+A to select all, Ctrl+C to copy, then Ctrl+V to paste into the reply box, and you don't have to retype anything.

Comment

Here's a novel idea, if your comment to a post is going to be a long one then simply quote the post and type to your hearts content. Sure, it might resurrect some old topics but to me that's a good thing. New discussion will ensue or the topic will quickly fade away again. Is a 250 versus a 300 character limit really that important?

I understand that the administrators want/need to act on the memberships concerns but what's next? Are we really heading down that road where every petty gripe has to be addressed? What if I find the term "black crust" offensive? Let's start calling it a "darker than uncooked crust". Since smoking is rapidly becoming taboo we can't say "smoke ring" anymore. Anyone got a new suggestion for that? Maybe "slow cooked induced discoloration"?

I apologize for the rant and I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular. This is a great, friendly board that serves up an immeasurable amount of information for almost nothing. Let's keep it that way and not get caught up in petty annoyances.

And yes, in case you were wondering, I've had a few tonight. Drinking and posting is typically not a good thing, I might have just learned that, we'll see.

Comment

@ribeyeguy I feel your sentiment. What I'll say is I agree we're first and foremost a club, not just a forum, dedicated to being a fun and educational place for all cooks, newbies, weekenders, competitors, even pros to hang out, learn, teach, and make friends. On a secondary note, we can always improve. I think this was one of those times. The comment system is a little strange for folks that have never experienced it before. The few tweaks we've made have made it better. I guess at the end of the day we call it a win.

Comment

Hey as far as I am concerned this is your world and I appreciate all of you just letting me wander through it from time to time! It is always good to be here and a plus that we can learn something in the process.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here