Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Channels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Channels?

After reading the thread started by STEbbq on fixing the cracks in his asphalt driveway, I realized how much "The Pit" has grown to not just include discussions surrounding barbecue and cooking but to home repairs/improvement, sports, weather, music, etc.

To reflect the evolution of "The Pit" has there been thought to expand the " Off Topic, Non-Food, Non-Cooker Discussions" Channel into more sub-categories?

I apologize if this has come up before and put to bed.

I agree. It would be nice to have a channel related to food and BBQ and another for non food topics.

Comment

Gee. "Please make more channels". "Can you simplify the Channels Page?" "I'm quitting because this place is too complicated". These are the requests & comments we occasionally get.

I'd love to please everyone but I just can't.

Comment

• mrichie1229
      mrichie1229 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm usually a rule follower. I don't try to make more work for everyone. That is usually what people do to me.

mrichie1229 I get what you're saying, and I really do appreciate your suggestion! I too am a fan of organization. To me, it is not hard to look for the channel I want any more than if I were in a big box store and I have to look for the aisle of the product I want. That's just what you do. But you & I are in the minority, believe it nor not. Some members get lost as it is, and we regularly field "help!" emails from members, usually newer members of a certain age group, who find it daunting here. So we try our best to serve the basic organizational needs of all. Inevitably, some want more at the same time that some want less. One time an email we received complained of too many "windswept hallways" of un- or under-used channels. Sigh...

Comment

In my experience, if you make too many subforums you end up encouraging the main purpose of the forum to change. I've seen a lot of hobby specific forums die by diluting the participation in the main topics, which is what happens if you make subforums to sub forums especially for things that fit neatly into off topic. And of course it's a lot more work every time you make software upgrades and other moderation tasks.

Honestly another thing is you don't want to drive traffic to AR due to google searches about pavement, or RVs, or refinishing your grandpas rocking chair. The only plus is the paid sub keeps a lot of the nastiest trolls at bay, but there's an "expert" at something out there searching google daily just waiting for their chance to join a forum and correct people and cause division.

If everyone used the "new posts" button it wouldn't be a huge deal, but I suspect many don't

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        How did you refinish your grandpas chair?

I rarely use the channels pages. Most days, I just look at recent posts. If I'm looking for specific information, I use the search function.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        that's the best way to use the pit unless you already know what yer looking for

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here