Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conflicting Info on Search Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conflicting Info on Search Tips?

Let me start out by saying this may be completely on me. I was trying to search for information on resting brisket. I typed "brisket rest" in the search bar and what I seemed to get were results on brisket OR rest. So then I tried typing "brisket AND rest" and it seemed I got the same results as my first attempt. Then I set off in search of (yes, bad pun) search tips. I found a thread that indicated that typing 2 words ("brisket rest" in this case) would return results with both words, basically the equivalent of "brisket AND rest. I then checked out the advance search and found the search tips link. When I clicked on the search tips link, it states that searches for multiple words is basically the equivalent of using an OR operator, so a search for "brisket rest" would return results that contained the words brisket or rest. Ultimately, my question is which is correct? Does typing 2 (or more) words in the search box deliver results using the OR operator or the AND operator?

A space is the equivalent of using an "and" as I understand it:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...4517-searching

Comment

Thank you sir, that is the post I was referring to, but the search tips link provides this advise which seems to conflict with the post you referenced.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-11 2.36.16 PM.png
Views:	94
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1075947

Comment

I may just be the way I am reading it. Because the example clearly states OR, but when I use AND it still acts like OR

Comment

Have you tried using quotes? "Brisket rest", "resting brisket". Also, most times many will refer to the phase of holding a brisket after cooking it as "hold" and not "rest"("rest" if often used in reference to resting a steak right after searing it). So you could try searching that too, "brisket hold", or "holding a brisket" or even "faux cambro" since that's very often used when referring to this. Or just asking your question, we're ok with questions!

Comment

just about every recipe I have read or watched on youtube has suggested rest/hold times 2-10/12 hrs. the following quote is found at the end of the article on brisket: "Holding? When it comes off the cooker and it gets wrapped in foil and sits in a faux cambro, an insulated box like a beer cooler, for 1 to 4 hours."
            Authentic Texas Style Smoked Brisket Recipe And Techniques (amazingribs.com)

Holding in beer time is dependent on how fast you drink.

Last edited by bbqLuv; August 11, 2021, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Greetings efincoop

Not sure what you are seeing in your search results.

I just tested a search for "rest brisket" and "rest OR brisket" and got different results. Are you not seeing different results when you use the "OR" feature?

Screen shots:

"rest brisket" -- so both keywords must match to get a result.

Name:	search-using-and.png
Views:	79
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1076060

"rest OR brisket" so either keyword can match to get a result

Name:	search-using-or.png
Views:	69
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1076061

Comment

Thank you all for responding. I eventually found the information I was looking for. raywjohnson when I first posted my question I was not seeing the first few results in your screen shot, as they did not exist. So I reversed the words and eventually did find a thread that had the information I was looking for. Probably more to what Huskee and bbqLuv posted, I was not using the correct terminology, so that was limiting my results.

Thank you all for chiming it. I have learned a bunch from the information shared here.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome

• raywjohnson
                  raywjohnson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We are here to help!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo