Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine - salt by weight, not volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine - salt by weight, not volume

So the authors on this site go to great pains to explain how various types of salt have different volumes based on their crystal structure.

As in: "You need to be aware of which type of salt you are using when you follow a recipe that measures by volume because the grain size can make huge difference on the amount of sodium, i.e. saltiness or salinity. "

BUT, when it comes time to recommend how much salt to use per pound of meat in a dry brine, they always use the volumetric measure: 1/2 teaspoon per pound. Sometimes, they say 1/2 tsp kosher salt per pound of meat; elsewhere, they say 1/2 tsp Morton kosher salt per pound of meat. In keeping with their scientific method, WHY NOT at least (also) include a dry weight of salt per pound of meat?

I'd love to see the salt amounts all changed to weight. That removes the issue of which salt brand is being used since 10grams of salt is 10 grams of salt.

Comment

• latenight71
      latenight71 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1
      every restaurant where I've worked prep we always had a scale on hand and measuring cups were merely used as a loose guide of how much was needed. But always weighed and incresed or decreased accordingly.

Simple: Most people don't know the fact that Morton coarse kosher salt is different salinity from Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, and most people don't have accurate kitchen scales, especially for small amounts like 1/2 teaspoon. BUT, we have a conversion table in two locations. Easy to find. See if you can find it.

Comment

You finally made your first post. Hello from NW Oregon.

Comment

Yes there is a volume to volume conversion table but not with mass included.

I ended up measuring the mass of several salt volumes and made my own scaled recipe with mass in the paprika app.

I’m usually dry brining large enough things that I’m using between 2 and 40 grams of salt, which is measurable on my regular oxo scale.

Comment

Another way to do this is to get a level teaspoon of salt, then weight it. Write it down. Then you will know the weight of your salt. In a dry brine it's irrelevant to be that particular, down to the very gram. You would never notice. Baking, sure.

Comment

This page has the salt calculator and a whole lot of other calculators
            Here are some very useful weights, measures, and equivalents that come in handy in the kitchen. You'll find an online conversion calculator for metric, imperial, volume, weight, length, and temperature, plus various handy food equivalents for salt, fat, sugar, and many other ingredients.

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Sausage Calculator not displaying on iPad -
              In place is the following:
              {"type":”block”,”srcClientIds”:["2dde8da4-15b8-4b5d-b243-41a8e3880740"],”srcRootClientId”:””}

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              I tried to fix the sausage/ground meat calculator and failed so I have called in the heavyweights.

I keep a grain scale next to my kitchen scale for smaller weights.

Comment

Round these here parts, it's MyWeigh, or th Highway...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 18, 2021, 12:48 PM. Reason: ' vs ;

Comment

Shrug. I don't think it would be that hard to write "1/2tsp Morton's salt (3g)" or whatever 1/2tsp weighs out to. I get the point that many people don't have gram scales but giving grams for those who do seems easy enough and encourages precision.

It would not matter if the difference between Morton's and Diamond was small but Morton's is almost 2x as much salt per volume. Yes, the reader can go figure it all out but... why make them?
                Last edited by rickgregory; July 18, 2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Here’s what I came up with by measuring several samples. I can scale it by selecting number of pound in paprika.

Click image for larger version

Name:	92CD2366-8B4F-4970-ABF2-8C03992EB9AD.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1062542

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BFF92897-0EBB-4118-8345-448DB2F7DF77.jpeg
Views:	339
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1062601

Comment

The ground meat sausage calculator has been fixed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here