Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sant Maria style cooking for dummies please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sant Maria style cooking for dummies please?

Hello everyone,

I just ordered a Titan Santa Maria accessory for my Weber 22" kettle. I ordered this with burning wood to cook tri tip and carne asada in mind.

My question is, can you folks who are experienced doing this type cooking please give us the basic how to's, tips, do's and don'ts please? Looking to shorten the learning curve and have the confidence to give it a shot w/out a total fail & or/ trashing some good meat.

I'm sure many here will appreciate a thread on Santa Maria techinque.

Thank you in advance!
    JD

appreciate!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      See my beginners' guide below

Finding the sweet spots (height) relative to your fuel is the best advice I can give.

Err in the beginning on the side of cool (higher than you think). I can tell how hot my fire is using my hand above the flame. At first, you can put a small skillet on part of the grate and use an infrared thermometer to give you an idea about how hot the surface is at different heights. I have GrillGrates on mine that allows for that. I don't really use it any longer.

Have a nice dome for even cooking. I often start with the grill higher and dome the food in the initial stages of cooking. I like the 3 minutes per side rule for flipping under the dome. I then remove the dome, lower the grate and finish it off.

I love starting wood with charcoal - the splits make a nice fire and the charcoal bed underneath makes the wood start uniformly. If you have access to wood splits they are nice. While a bed of charcoal would seem to be more uniform the wood adds time, aroma and fun to the process.
    Last edited by tbob4; January 27, 2023, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      I assumed everyone had their grate thermometer hooked up…

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Time, aroma and fun! Isn’t that why most of us do this stuff anyways!

The memories we create with the time, the response our friends and family provide over the aroma and flavor…and it sure is dang fun!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with tBob. I also use my hand to gauge temperature, I use an 18" kettle lid as a dome, and I start things off with a bed of lump charcoal.

What tbob4 said. I would also add keep a cool spot to shift food to when something is cooking faster than you want. This is especially needed if you are cooking more than one thing at a time. I have a larger SM with a brasero so fire management plays a large part too. The great thing about a Santa Maria is you get to play with both the fire and the food. Don’t stress, keep your steps simple and everything will just click after a few cooks.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      The cool spot is great advice! ofelles - I build my fire generally on the right side and the left is cooler. For jjdbike - this will be and experiment for you since it will be an accessory over the kettle. I will be interested once you get it what you find about hot/cool zones.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on 2 zone cooking.

Following this thread!

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Me 2!

I am still working things out. Starting with a coal bed then adding splits seems to work best. However if I have enough wood and enough time I like making a stack of wood and burning it down to coals better. Then I can keep adding small splits to keep things going. You can use a probe to judge temp. I have a Meater thermometer that I use that give me ambient temp and meat temp. For long cooks I use the brassero to keep a steady supply of coals available adding wood to the top of the brassero as the logs burn down. Raise and lower the grate to control temps and move piles of embers adjusting hot spots or making the pile bigger to add more heat.

Comment

I generally use full length splits, 16” or so long and split those into roughly 2”diameter and spread them out over the bed of coals as mentioned above. Meaning 16” long and 2” wide. Several of those spread across the coals gives a fairly even heat source across the entire cooking area.

Comment

Man, you got a lot of great advice! Everyone will be a little different on the hand temp technique, but Donw 's is a great place to start. Keep in mind that as your fire increases or decreases you will need to make adjustments to fuel loading and grate height. To me that's the most fun part of SM cooking. After a few cooks you'll start do develop a sense of how things are going by sight, sound, and scent. I like to think of my Santa Maria grill as the London Philharmonic and I am Leopold, The Long Haired Hare:

Last edited by CaptainMike; January 27, 2023, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
        Finding the sweet spots (height) relative to your fuel is the best advice I can give.

Err in the beginning on the side of cool (higher than you think). I can tell how hot my fire is using my hand above the flame. At first, you can put a small skillet on part of the grate and use an infrared thermometer to give you an idea about how hot the surface is at different heights. I have GrillGrates on mine that allows for that. I don't really use it any longer.

Have a nice dome for even cooking. I often start with the grill higher and dome the food in the initial stages of cooking. I like the 3 minutes per side rule for flipping under the dome. I then remove the dome, lower the grate and finish it off.

I love starting wood with charcoal - the splits make a nice fire and the charcoal bed underneath makes the wood start uniformly. If you have access to wood splits they are nice. While a bed of charcoal would seem to be more uniform the wood adds time, aroma and fun to the process.
        Thanks so much tbob & friends
        tbob, can you please elaborate on having a nice dome? I don’t think my Weber done lid will fit over that SM attachment. Are you talking about something else?
        JD

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          jjdbike As mentioned above I use an 18" kettle lid.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to use aluminum pans before getting a griddle. Now I typically use a burger dome - Blackstone has them. It works well when cooking for two. When I have company I go back to the large aluminum pan.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I think a large basting dome like the ones I use on my griddle would work. You can find them for under $10 on Amazon.

Tri tips were on sale at our local grocer and a Santa Maria supper was already planned for last night so I'll share some pics and method:

This is the array of splits I usually lay out. I didn't use all of it, just enough to get the job done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SMG.1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	1368825

I start with a lit bed of charcoal then add some splits. I like to place a larger split to the front of the coal bed then add smaller ones to the coal bed. As they catch and start to burn I lower the grate to get it hot enough to brush, raise it up out of the heat zone and plop the TT on to take up some smoke while the fire burns down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SMG.2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	1368826

I started a pot of SM beans inside then finished them on the grill to take up a little smoke as well. Not pictured is a loaf of garlic bread that was nicely browned over dying coals. Keep in mind that this pic is to illustrate the versatility of the SMG and I lowered the grate for a better shot. You want to avoid actually cooking with a flaming fire like you see here and raise the grate as necessary.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SMG.3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	1368827

And the final result. This was a pretty dang good one, too!! And before anyone gets all up in arms, I learned to slice TT on the bias starting with the corner of the triangle. It's not truly 90 degrees against the grain, but it works just as well and is a quicker way to slice it. And when you're doing several hundred TT's for a fundraiser dinner it's a very efficient way to hand slice a lot of them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SMG.4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	1368828

Good luck in your new endeavor, there's a lot of great food that can come off of a SMG!
        Last edited by CaptainMike; January 28, 2023, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Mike great stuff.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That right there is why I tagged you! Outstanding!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          No reason to cut on the true bias, I've learned over the years. Unless I'm in the sewing room, that is.

For meat, just getting off grain works great, as you just schooled us, especially if you want larger slices.

Kathryn

Click image for larger version

Name:	985DA77E-D4CA-44F3-8B14-85DA54AFCF4D.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1368905 Click image for larger version

Name:	68E118F2-947C-4F2C-9A95-DBDBF8A95BE8.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1368906 Click image for larger version

Name:	D478B4D6-726E-4AB8-851D-0FBE8897BE5A.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1368907
        Doing a cedar planked salmon on my Santa Maria grill and used an aluminum pan for a dome,,,

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea for covers. I'm sure the salmon was delish!

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Really nice.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Nicely done! The rotisserie setup on that grill is fantastic!

This is a good topic! I’ve wondered many of the same questions that are answered here.

I don’t think I’ll go Santa Maria because I don’t want to learn another style of cooking, and I have nowhere to store the apparatus when I’m using my kettle as a kettle. But I wouldn’t mind showing up somewhere and seeing one, and learning that way.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          A hook 🪝 on the ceiling of your garage would be a good storage place.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          You could go to ofelles , drive the next day to my place and finish off at CaptainMike ‘s. When you sample the food and judge you can’t give Mike points for ambience, though. His backdrop cannot influence you.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I will say it is my most fun and favorite way to cook. And the flavor of the food is different than any other way of outdoor cooking. It's difficult to describe, but the smoke profile is fresh and bounces. It's not as deep as L&S, but it's not as stodgy either. Not the best descriptors, but I hope you get my point.

I’m absolutely loving this thread!
        Thanks everyone!
        JD

Comment

Cooking Tr-Tip using the Brassero to build up the coals. Used the Fireboard to monitor internal temps. Goal was a reverse sear type of cook. Slowly bring it up to 120ish then lower to sear.

Name:	IMG_3685 (1).jpg
Views:	403
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	1368940

Name:	IMG_3688 (1).jpg
Views:	388
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	1368941

Name:	IMG_3691 (1).jpg
Views:	398
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1368939

Comment

Cooking some chicken thighs. Letting sticks burn down to coals. Shorter cook so no need for the Brassero.

Name:	IMG_3525.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	1368945

Name:	IMG_3534 (1).jpg
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	1368949

Name:	IMG_3538 (1).jpg
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	1368948

Name:	IMG_3540.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	1368947

Name:	IMG_3545.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	1368946

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Wonderful setup!!

• RlsRls
            RlsRls commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe I'd get one (SM attachment for the PK360) if I lived in San Diego where there's about 350 days of sunshine! I just cant seem to justify one because, A: I'm basically cooking for two all the time, B: No place to store when not in use. C: I like to close the lid to snuff out the coals for future cooks. Seems like a lot of work for a couple chicken thighs or a thick ribeye. But who knows, maybe some day?? How do you protect it in inclememt weather??

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            RlsRls The cooker is 306 stainless and can be exposed to the elements. Though I am going to get a cover for next winter. It does take longer to fire up. You build up a coal bed and then add sticks as needed. For a quick cook probably not worth it. However it's a blast to cook with so the fun factor makes it worthwhile...and the food tastes amazing!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here