Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fun is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fun is it?

Hi there --

I've never actually cooked on a santa maria/argentine style grill, but it really captured my imagination, to the point where I'm thinking I'll build one in as a central part of an outdoor kitchen now that I have more space. I don't see a whole lot of activity in this channel, although I know there are folks here who are passionate about these grills. My question is, roughly, how fun is cooking on these? I enjoy fiddling with fire, and I enjoy cooking. But is the learning curve or difficultly level so high that one might ruin the enjoyment of the other? Or are they really as fun and versatile as they look?

Thanks!

YOu could always dip your toes in the pool first.

Comment

• mcook2201
      mcook2201 commented
      Editing a comment
      👆 Highly support this statement. I bought one of these last year and love using it. It is fun to use and a conversation piece too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xRYRHuSIJaGduwRvA1syhtqOSK2u6TsYNwXqcChN2FqzrkoNgbsBHTMQ8Qn_Lz0EsFbLzzQB9ItuzN4w5iwLUHUZPTCoZULlLakyXzo8B47M0xLhVgmCWIJBDprzJwj2erAFbfKt8FnGTMDZG4t4gfxqqAGwXq7RGzsn9DGHromZilGuUlkTs0QXTTluZ70nONMbSTuCcI_fUaA7LqoCzRuQH8VIg3rIjlqGnJoD7DRhW5i719-d0C6GTpBtbby
Views:	225
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	1359205

Name:	YG-Tob_UO5fnVv_mUW4gue1AA4kYA7lW8kU12YtEOxH_Kx97w_0mZcZ5Jes5WUCSwIdgHl0ouhBxHT7--26BnmrUr0oXifOgzs1PNtiyYQikJyu5f-X-azloiWdbh8suAEd0gdq2H1JdpN-04U0OhGYs2vjwk86WKiIzf1a_BG72afvpimVSCvYmN_R5W5UcckS8RQdkEwoM5-gp-bV0uwms2ezpePDT-D7evYpieW89Do1YrAmpNjfkrH75bD2
Views:	213
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	1359207

Name:	UeC4VmfnBDsPYs30oPiSbrn5laA6-1XqwwliS5DTlS7aORnoT6A2SVNx-bNGCVGUc7meftwT_53snpK2hkXh1JgelrLR60GQPUGLc7MpuP50JqOx9I1cWugGYagrncUE1L72xONngNp_NzcaJ7t-9PfHeDN6SXKJVprXj8PUFJMwuUfYdz2PSWRzc0VLgwLeQsDP-B881sVbrkzWt3ut1zP5lqwV8mwro5KVrAeRWmu93RyDV_ARUfxe0EL-tcy
Views:	217
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	1359206

I have less than $200 in that setup between that performer and the attachment.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, the cook looks good.
      The adult beverages look untouched.

Cooking is fun. The whole process is fun from start to finish., from shopping to burping and belching and at the end.

Comment

I have an LSG one with Argentine grates. It is definitely fun to cook on but it will have learning curve as you learn to gauge height above the fire, and that can change because of the height of the fire. You best tool will be your hand as you use it to determine the temperature at the grates by how longer it takes before you feel you should pull it up. And, you will at first second guess yourself. However after a few cooks it will become second nature. One advantage you will enjoy is you can change almost instantly the cooking temp with just a few cranks on your wheel. I hope CaptainMike chimes in because he uses his quite often.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking forward to my learning curve. It's being built now.

Pitts and spits makes a good one I can recommend. Even if it takes you a long time, or even if you give up on it, it can function like a regular charcoal/wood fired grill.

Comment

It is fun and is a great tool to add to your outdoor cooking gear

Name:	GG 2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1359733

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here