Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for temporary stand for Argentinian grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for temporary stand for Argentinian grill

I finally got a chance this weekend to try out my Argentinian style grill. While the grill worked great, my temporary stand setup for it didn't workout so well. I will probably only use this grill a few times a year and I'll store it out of the elements when it is not in use. So I want to have a temporary stand setup that can handle the heat and also be relatively easy to setup and take down. My design was some 2x12s with a piece of particle board on top followed by a layer of foil and finally fire bricks. As you can see from the photos below, the fire bricks did not insulate as well as I hoped they would. What can I use as a layer between the bricks and the saw horse that will stand up to the heat?

As an aside, this site has been a bad (good?) influence. This is only one of the purchases I've made as a result of this site!
    Last edited by mtvector; September 2, 2015, 06:07 PM. Reason: I can't spell :-)

you might try a layer or two of tile backer board on top of 11/8" ply wood. and go to a masonry supplier and look to see what they have for material for wood stove surrounds to lay on top for the top layer.

Comment

I'm thinking you could just use cement board instead of plywood? maybe run a couple two by fours along the front and back edges underneath to support the cement board and elevate it off the sawhorses.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr ROK, I think you are absolutely right in suggesting Cement Board Tile Backer for a base. It might be a good use of some furnace cement troweled onto the surface! I think consideration should be given to having a metal sub frame welded up of possibly aluminum that will raises every thing up off the Saw Horses. Air Space is the best insulator! I agree with Cheef that appears to be to wild an operation for a Wood Deck! Dan

• mtvector
        mtvector commented
        Editing a comment
        Great suggestions by all. I really appreciate it. Question about the furnace cement - would the board still be portable or would the cement crack when I moved the board and it flexed? The sub-frame makes a lot of sense. I have to say I was amazed how much heat transferred through the fire bricks.

Setting it up on the deck was necessitated by that being the only area on my property that is not on a slope. That situation is currently be mitigated by a landscape project involving some retaining walls. Soon I will have a nice flat, stone patio for my grills & smokers to sit on.

Personally I would think about moving it completely off the wooden deck.
      Make a sand or rock ''sand box'' enclosure for the get aways to drop onto.
      All it takes is one coal not noticed and it could be a bad deal.

Comment

Where did you get that grill? What is the brand? Thanks

Comment

• mtvector
          mtvector commented
          Editing a comment
          I got it from Arizona BBQ Outfitters. They are out of Tuscon, AZ.

That thing is sweet!!!!!!i love these. I also like the sand pit idea. What a cool idea. I wonder how hard it would be to make one of these.......

Comment

I am from Argentina and if you are only cooking an asado a few times a year make a ring with rocks and just make a basic parilla like this. Do a Google images search for "asado" Parilla" and you will find many easy options.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here