Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intersting Article: "Grill Marks Are Dumb", mentioning Meathead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intersting Article: "Grill Marks Are Dumb", mentioning Meathead

Parallel strips of golden brown goodness on chops and steaks may scream “summer cooking,” but grill marks are—in fact—quite dumb. I don’t say this bec

The most interesting thing about that article and any article anymore are the comments.

"Pulls out Soap Box"

Our country seems to be turning into a country of if you don’t agree with me you are an idiot. Why is it so hard to allow somebody to have a different opinion than you.

Comment

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Testify my brother! 👍 A lot of people today are missing out in all aspects of life by not trying new things, all in the name of I’M RIGHT AND YOU’RE NOT!

Sad...

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Why would I want to try something new if I'm doing it the RIGHT WAY and you are NOT!!!!!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey - you don't agree with me, I don't agree with you, or is it I agree and don't agree, or is it...Wait, the grill is at 211 and I need to put my beef ribs on for QVQ. I'll get back with you on this I'm an idiot thing...

The amount of people calling the article writer and idiot and vice versa is ridiculous.

Comment

Yeah, that's a testimony to human nature and the ambiguity of internet comments. An unfortunate thing indeed, which is why personally I try to avoid comments on articles.

Comment

My favorite part of the article comes early - the (paraphrased) "I know this is right, BECAUSE MEATHEAD GOLDWYN TOLD ME SO!" 😂😂😂 Beautiful, and I actually LOL’d when I read it! 👍

Im all about experimentation and trying something yourself in your own way to see what happens, but if the author was going to pick someone in the BBQ world to crown Moses the Lawgiver, she made a helluva good choice in my opinion! 😃🙌

Comment

Well, I liked the part where the molecules get excited & then start dancing with their buddies.

PS. Meatheads book did have something to do with science didn’t it.

Comment

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s why Good Eats is one of my favorite cooking shows of all times. It also explains the science behind why things are the way they are in cooking.

Use that griddle to get the browning, the flame to get the flavor. Doesn’t matter which order: if you reverse sear, do the flame first, then transfer to the griddle. Or inside to a cast iron pan, doesn’t matter.

We have choices, after all. We have technology. It’s not like this is 1987, when people ate like doofuses.

Comment

On the molecules getting excited, that reminds me of a story from my college days in engineering school. Had a Chinese visiting professor who was a PhD in waste water engineering.

As we got into the design of a treatment plant, he eventually brought up the subject of ‘sludge’ which is nothing more then our waste broken down by bacteria.

Well he could not pronounce sludge but instead kept saying ‘slut’. Now at first there were a few snickers but as he described the movement of the sludge from tank to tank with the intro of more and more bacteria, he starts saying things like "slut go over here to next tank and gets VERY excited".

Of course by by that time snickers turned to raucous laughter, I think I had snot running out of my nose at that point.

Poor guy, he finally stops talking, just stands there and says, "what?"

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              That reminds me of a story a older friend once told me long ago, someone was learning a new language, lets say Spanish but I don't remember exactly, and he meat to say "I have three [brothers?] [sisters?] [dogs?] [3 of something anyway]", but the word for it and anus was very similar in that language and he used the wrong one. He told people he just met he has 3 anuses.

• Elton's BBQ
              Elton's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha great stories Huskee and Troutman

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee I had a colonoscopy today. When the doctor came in I pointed to my foot and said, "When they operated on it they marked it so they got the right one. I don't have any marks today, you're working on the one in the middle."

nothing like writing an article that has literally zero original content. on the upside, if the stuff preached at places like here and serious eats etc is now getting picked up by lifehacker and blogs...it cant be bad for the overall all state of food.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Precisely! And to boot she's credited Meathead. So she's in effect handing out flyers for AR!

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, to be fair i did not credit her for giving credit where its due. And free advertising is never a bad thing.

That article & Meathead can agree as much as rhey like.. I want grillmarks on my meat when i grill chops/steaks etc.. 😎🔥
            Last edited by Elton's BBQ; July 26, 2019, 12:24 PM. Reason: Autocorrect fubar

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              They sure are! Troutman. I don't hate them. I don't try unless I have someone over for steaks who I think wants them or who's an eat-at-steakhouses guru.

• gdsim1
              gdsim1 commented
              Editing a comment
              If I can get em, I’ll take em. If I can’t, I don’t sweat it. Not something I actively shoot for, just a cherry on top when it does happen. 👍

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, because you’re used to them...and they’re a treat for the eyes. As Troutman says, they’re sexy...and it makes the steak look "finished."

OTOH, I rarely have grill marks on MY steaks...because as cool as they might LOOK, I prefer that maillard goodness all over. But I have friends and family that EXPECT them: that’s what a proper steak looks like after all. Right?

So now I do both. Full Maillard reaction on one side, beautiful grill marks on the other. Keeps everyone happy. ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here