Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some new reading material arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some new reading material arrived

What are some of your favorites? (the Franklin book I had already had.) But, will read it over and over.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 9, 2019, 02:57 PM.

BBQ related I only have Meathead's book. Nothing BBQ in our bookstores other than Weber's BBQ bible and an adapted version for South African way of "Braai-ing.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d dig a book on braai.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack don't think you would find anything extraordinary, we don't even use thermometers. I do have an old book (89) hardcover with SA recipes for "potjiekos" which has some interesting cast iron pot recipes. I would gladly pass on if you want. Not sure how much CI cooking you do.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Not as much as I should.

Richard Chrz Great variety of reading material there! I sense a theme though! Food and drink!

I've only got the 2nd edition of How to Brew. I've thought of updating to the latest, but then again... I know how to brew now, so I would only be doing it to help out John Palmer and Amazon...

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      You influenced a few of these!

FWSY is a great book. We haven't bought a loaf of bread since we got it.

Comment

I can not recommend the book "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" enough. This is my bread baking bible.

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bakers-...a-406163962233

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I got that recommendation from a friend that visited me! Thank you for backing it up!

I've been perusing Steve Raichlen's "Project Smoke" and "Project Fire". "Mycophilia" by Eugenia Bone and "A Cook's Book of Mushrooms" by Jack Czarnecki. (I want to try the pressed mushroom steak on the main site) Eagerly awaiting "Smoke and Pickles" by Edward Lee as "The Noma Guide To Fermentation" blew my mind and opened me up to quicker methods of fermentation (also more complicated longer methods) and their application to bbq.

Comment

Were any wrapped in brown paper? Or maybe pink butchers paper?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          HAHA, I have not bought in to that yet! LOL

You are off to a good start ~ Ron

Comment

I have Smoke Lore on my short list. I’ve always enjoyed stories of yesteryear whether in person or literature.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            So far just like 20 pages in, it is pretty cool. No real surprises yet, a few, hmm, really?

• Pow7der
            Pow7der commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm really in an interesting I didn’t know that way or hmm really in disbelief?

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Pow7der. interesting.

looks like a trip to the library is in my near future. unfortunately, none are in my local library so I will have to wait a few days until they get shipped from another branch.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	salt fat acid heat.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	711009

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes! +1 on that one!

Jaque Pepin's "New Complete Techniques" is a good one...I would say a MUST for any cook. Knife skills, stocks, and hundreds of basics that can help any cook make better dishes.

"Root to Leaf", and "The Vegetable Butcher," for those of us that aren't afraid to eat vegetables. Root to Leaf is by a chef here in the south that cooks seasonally, and how to get the most of what's currently in season. Really helps to elevate side dishes.

Comment

Four books from my shelves....

The Geeks book takes a technical approach to the science of cooking, interaction of ingredients, etc.

The Cowboy Cookbook is fun, with eclectic recipes from both the famous and obscure.

The Chili Pepper book is a good resource with recipes. My copy is older and doesn't have the latest "stupid hot" varietals.

Finally, Elena's classic book (mine is the 1968 version) is a treasure trove on the fundamentals of Mexican cooking with loads of traditional, old-school recipes. Mole anyone?

Name:	IMG_20190710_102543.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	711133

Comment

And of course this

Name:	51kIpChrdIL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	711142

Comment

The one on the left is a Airfryer recipe cook book. The Weber that looks a bit chewed up is thanks to Scooter.

Name:	15627842152384625267229960507491.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	711155

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here