Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magazines

Which ones do you subscribe too? I am starting to think I might order Cooks

My only experience comes from the dentist's office. I haven't subscribed to a magazine in years. I imagine there are still good ones out there, but mostly the articles seemed to read like press releases from PR flacks. I don't really know anything about Cooks, but I find anything I need in that area from Serious Eats.

Comment

I get Food Network, but it seems to be getting thinner and thinner. A few good things are in there... this month includes "Applewood-Smoked Spatchcocked Chicken", "Sweet Tea-Brined Pork Chops with Pepper Relish", "St. Louis-Style Ribs with Soy-Ginger BBQ Sauce", and "Pastrami-Spiced Porterhouse Steaks".
      They throw in some crap I don't care to read like showing us the inside of a Food Network "Star's" Kitchen. I subscribe because we would occasionally pick up at grocery store at outrageous price per copy. You can get it really cheap if subscribe.

Comment

From what I understand, Cooks illustrated is owned by Americas Test Kitchen. So, I kind of have hopes. but hoping others have some feedback or other suggestions.

Comment

• TheQuietOne
          TheQuietOne commented
          Editing a comment
          I looked it up and indeed Cooks is owned by America's Test Kitchen. That would make it worth looking into. I enjoy ATK as a science show as much as a cooking show.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Cook's Illustrated, America's Test Kitchen, and Cook's Country are all the same production unit. All three are bundled to a single online subscription. I stopped getting print magazines years ago.

I get Saveur, Cook's, Clean Eating, Good Eating, Bon Appetit, All Recipes, and Food Network free from my library's digital subscription service.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Best option, most mags have some kind of online presence so I glean what I want or need, bookmark or copy.
          As mentioned most mags as 60-70% gobbilty gook and the rest informative.
          One of my peeves with some of these mags is to make half they're recipes you need a pantry the size of a 3 car garage as some of the ingredients are so obscure the is only one use for them.

I need to look more into that option. I could use that saved money on a few other wants for cooking.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I often don't read them but I flip through them sometimes. It would be a waste to pay for them. I did recently resubscribed to Imbibe as a physical subscription.

Consumers Report is my one and only. Read daily in my morning office.

Comment

I like Milk Street. Wife gets Rachael Ray.

Comment

Golf, Golf Digest, RoadRUNNER, ReinCARNation magazine (a kit car based magazine). Nothing food related at the moment.
            Last edited by Craigar; July 1, 2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

They still make magazines?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                <schnorrrrttt, pause, Chortle>

I have reduced my reading to Cook's Illustrated published by America's Test Kitchen and Saveur. I go on line for or watch TV show's the Kitchen, Steven Raichlen, https://barbecuebible.com/recipe-type/beef-recipes/, he also has a PBS show, Steven Raichlen's Project Fire. There are several TV shows on Food Network and Cook dedicated to BBQ

Comment

Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, Eating Well, & Cooks Illustrated...

Admittedly, some of them sit in a stack unopened because I don't always have that much time when racing to & from airports and the like. Used to also get Gourmet and something else way back when.
                And I still drag out a couple decades old Bon Appetit every thanksgiving. ;-)

I probably wouldn't subscribe to them all but for the fact I got them free or heavily discounted. And while I COULD possibly find everything online...the magazine saves me from endless searching/surfing...and quite often inspires me to either try something different...or indeed inspires me to search for something I might not have considered at all.

Comment

This is free at the LCBO up here published quarterly, usually with a few food and drink inserts
                  The only thing I will sit down and thumb thru
                  Lots of recipes and drink ideas, restaurant reviews and the like
                  I did check this mag is available online, I typed in LCBO food and drink....boom there’s a link and a Read Now link
                  Attached Files

Comment

REASON Magazine. "FREE MINDS AND FREE MARKETS!"

Comment

I didn't know they still made magazines. LOL.

J/K- I like getting catalogues from Orvis, Filson and L.L Bean. They are fun to look through. Once you buy something from them, you are gonna get a steady supply of them.

Comment

• surfdog
                        surfdog commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Isn’t that the truth!
                        I was forever getting HUGE (Read: bigger than many phone books) catalogues from Rio Grande (1 for tools & 1 for supplies), Sweetwater (along with their “flyers.’), B&H Photo (1 for photo gear & 1 for video and electronics), and U-Line.

I finally asked them to stop...and questioned the mentality of their marketing team. LOL
                        I mean, I’ve only EVER ordered online...and NEVER from a catalogue. Ironically some prices are missing and one is instructed to call or go online. Doh!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here