Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixon arrival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixon arrival

Let ya’ll know. It looks promising firsthand.

Oops! Click image for larger version

Name:	D442ECC4-E817-43FC-AA4A-D682F14FFE41.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	675760

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks rigged to me.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely rigged.

He tends to cook low and slow in the 300 range.

Comment

I attended his BBQ school. I was not impressed. His recipes were heavy in MSG and multiple (and complex) rubs, dips, and sauces. Impressive one-bit tastings, but nothing I'd want to eat for dinner.

Completely turned me off of competition BBQ, especially KCBS (sorry Candy Sue).

Comment

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Like your avitar. Big Jack fan. Great taste and reputation. Also a fan of Makers.

• TBoneJack
        TBoneJack commented
        Editing a comment
        Love Jack Daniels so much that I named my prized dog "Jack".
        Last edited by TBoneJack; May 7, 2019, 06:19 PM.

• hubmacfan
        hubmacfan commented
        Editing a comment
        "Completely turned me off of competition BBQ, especially KCBS "

The fact you're cooking for a "flavor profile" and not necessarily something people really want to eat is what convinced me I'd never want to do competition. (That and my fragile ego ).

On a scale of Meh to Rigged... what rating do you give it?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment

So far I rate it 2.5 out of 10. I have his first two books & especially his first one is what got me interested in bbq. The rest is history (I just had to throw that statement in cuz it sounds cool & was an appropriate place to use it, but as far as my history of cooking well....). This book may have a few interesting twists or recipes as he is capable of being a Master & champion of the Pit. It may grow to a 4 or 5 with the recipes, but I do have his first two books which were great books to have & reference. I think he honestly presented this as he put it, a FAQ for peeps who are just gettin into Q.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        2.5 out of 10, interesting rating. Well at least you didn't say "2 or 3 out of 10". At least you picked a number. Unlike every single patient who's ever in the ER, when they're asked their pain on a scale of 1 to 10, they always always always always always say two numbers. "Umm, 7 or 8". "1 or 2 probably", etc. The triage nurse can't enter two numbers, so they always always always always have to tell the patient to pick one. LOL.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee I once had a female pt that was having kidney stones and when I asked her to rate her pain on the 10 scale she replied that she bore 4 children and none of them hurt worse than this. I said I'd put her down for a 10 and she replied to bump it up to a 12. That's exactly what went into my report!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Ouch! Ha ha. Yeah I've heard lots of "11"s & "15"s too. I don't doubt it. CaptainMike

I was going to read it on Amazon Kindle... but may go iron the curtains in the living room instead.. Not into comp BBQ at all.

Comment

Thanks FireMan for saving me some $. I was on the fence of buying his latest book. But I and a lot of us here respect you and your opinions. Sooo I will not be buying this book.

oh and stop smiling at me like that. You’re freaking me out. 😂😂😂

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          HOW can he hold his eyes open like that for soooo looooong!?/

Further review: I’ve gotten halfway though it, then browsed the rest. It is a decent book especially for beginners. There are some recipes & how to’s that I might try or reference in the future. I will emphasize that he doesn’t pretend to be anything than what he is, a Pit Master. There was a side of humility that I haven’t seen much of lately to him. That was refreshing. It is an OK book.
        I also started reading Franklin’s "steak" book. I ask myself do I want to know this much about beef & steak in particular. Aaron really does his homework & it is a deep study of "steak". For me myself, I got bored. The quest for the penultimate steak is not my life. Would I like to improve, sure. Will I try, sure. But, I think I will rely on on the "masters & mastorettes" here in the Pit to feed my flame. 🕶

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          The "best" steak is the one I'm having currently. Always will be. Thankful I'm alive that night to eat it with my family.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          You are currently eatin, typing & conversing with the fam? True multi-tasked. 🕶

Seein some humility from him would indeed be refreshin, an improve my perception of Myron.

YMMV

Since it sounds like a more entry-level tome, I'll likely ride it out, til it's ~couple, three dollahs on kindle.

Many thanks fer th spiffy review, an all, Brother!

Comment

Thanks FireMan, I think I will just skip it and stick to the information I learn from you all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here