Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malcom Reed WTH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malcom Reed WTH!

I'm kind of a Malcom Reed fan on YouTube.
    Question I have is how does he reach into a 225* pit and go to picking up and handling meat like he does.
    He does wear what look to be thin rubber loves but in many videos the meat is smoking as he picks it up and messes around with it.
    I always thought I was ruff and tuff but every time I try that it looks like I'm trying to learn to juggle.
    Is he like a BBQ Superman?
    Or am I losing my macho?
    (I did quit drinking coffee about a year ago and switched over to hot teas and I've been a little worried about the man card thing.)

Is it the black ones with the cotton liner glove beneath?

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      They are black.
      What is this cotton liner you speak of? They look very thin.

I can handle meat on the smoker. I do HVAC work and have asbestos hands 😁. Meat doesn’t conduct heat very well, so 200 degree meat will not burn like 200 degree metal will.

Comment

He wears heat resistant gloves under the black nitrate gloves that are there for the mess. They sell them on Amazon.

If you look through his videos I think he talks about them.

Comment

I watched another vid where he mentions the heat protection referring to the cotton under his black gloves. I bought a 12 pack for about $6 at Amazon.

Comment

I'm in For ordering those!!

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I started using that combo at home this summer after working with BBQ relief in Redding where I was introduced to the combo. Make sure you order the XXL black gloves if you have big hands. Fitting them over the heat resistant mitts can be really difficult, otherwise. You will be really happy.

Like others have mentioned it is the cotton glove underneath. I have them and they work great... Although you can still feel the heat some and even more so when pulling a pork butt that is still fairly hot.

Comment

yep the other benefit is you can comfortably wear the the combined gloves for longer periods of time

Comment

These are the ones I buy from Amazon, they work great for me. He also sells some on his website.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Ordering today.

Comment

I actually buy my liners straight from Malcom himself. He has good prices, and I like supporting channels I watch dang near daily.

HowToBBQRight Shop - BBQ Rubs, BBS Sauces and everything you need for low and slow cooking or grilling.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I almost forgot about that website. Thanks for pointing it out Lon, love that guy. I'm like you I have him subscribed on YouTube.

The gloves probably help. But when I was grilling steaks for a living, my hands got to be pretty desensitized to heat. Could hold them over the very hot grill while flipping and moving the meat around without much discomfort. This was pretty common among all the cooks at our restaurant, and I've heard many others say the same thing. So it is likely that like many cooks, Reed has become desensitized to the heat. It took years after that job for the nerves in my hands returned to anything like a normal heat sensitivity.
                  Last edited by theroc; October 28, 2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1 on this!

• ILikePigButts
                    ILikePigButts commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Exactly what I was going to say. When I was a cook in a restaurant I didn't flinch picking up flatbreads out of a 450 deg oven bare handed so I imagine anything out of a 225 deg smoker would be cold by comparison.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here