Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought a magazine at Costco the other day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a magazine at Costco the other day.

And used a recipe for dinner last night. The recipe was Arroz con Pollo and it turned out great. The dish was very flavorful with just enough heat. I had no issues with the recipe either. There are 95 recipes in this 96 page magazine. I'm looking forward to trying more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A07Y6870.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	207340

FWIW, my wife has a complete set of the CI magazines (THANK YOU, eBay, for the odd missing issue). We've been cooking from them at least since 1994. Their Grilling issues are excellent. That said, I have convinced my wife with side-by-side testing that, when CI and Meathead/AR differ, we follow Meathead/AR. You could do what I did - follow the CI recipe the first time and make notes, then follow the Meathead/AR recipe then make notes then compare.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      You've just described why cooking is so much fun!

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I subscribe to their website. They rigorously test recipes and create good ones. Recommended,

That is an excellent book for those who are not purists. They put together recipes that Americans eat, with out exotic ingredients or having to go to a special store to get that odd thing to make the dish. I like the "real" Mexican food as well as the Americanized. America's test Kitchen usually gets things very right, & they did once again here.
    Ps. What I described & have is a book that just came out.

Comment

I love love love & highly respect ATK! Although many of their recipes (while as close to perfect as can be) are most often NOT cheap or low calorie!

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Kenji is the same way - great recipes at whatever cost, ($$, calories, or kitchen time).

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Kenji used to work for CI/ATK.

Ditto on ATK Huskee. As far as low calorie & such, well, I say do more & eat less. But, what is coming out in droves of research is that cholesterol, fat, eggs, coffee, water, etc, etc, etc is who knows what as far as healthy goes is healthy. It's starting to look like all the low fat, ultra processed stuff is not only doing nothing to help, but, is actually damaging.
      That was one of the reasons I joined AR. Cooked meat, can't get much simpler & better than that! I am not eating anything out of a box,bag or a can (except sardines & anchovies). I am cooking, or at least trying to cook, everything from scratch. I even do my own baked beans (lower in sodium). This is not because I'm anything special, just an interest of ours & a bit of health concerns.
      Ps. I had a friend who spent a 3 years & half in Guyana, in a small town near nothing, except jungle ( that's rain forest to you youngens ). He said that making " things from scratch " is not in their language. You don't do anything that's premixed. Also no drive thru or ordering out. Simplicity!

Comment

I'm worried about ATK since the Wall Street poohbahs fired Christopher Kimball. But their cookbooks are the best. Between them and Joy of Cooking, all my bases are covered. Oh, and Big Bob Gibson's cookbook. And Jacques Pepin.

The other night we did the pasta carbonara, it was awesome.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          You've got to be kidding me. They fired Kimball? Whas up?
          Ditto on Gibson & Pepin! Have you looked at Kent Rollins? Some really good outdoors cookin!

Chris Kimball is doing a new startup called Milk Street Kitchen. He is bringing out a magazine, he will have a TV show next year, and he will be running a cooking school in Boston. I am considering closing all my accounts with ATK. I will still watch the show, but I won't be giving them any money. Julia and Bridgett will be hosting the ATK TV shows.

Getting rid of Kimball was a greedy money thing. Pooh on them!

Comment

I guess I thought Kimball was the founder, I guess I was wrong. That's a shocker and a disappointment, I like the guy. He's the Meathead of ATK. But no one really knows what goes on behind closed doors.....was ATK greedy or was Kimball????

Glad to hear he'll have another show. Does anyone know if it will be PBS? Yno gwschenk

Comment

He still does the radio show. This year's tv schedule was already filmed. I think money was an issue but also that he was ready to move away from them. It will be good to see his new project ATK is set up to last as an institution.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here