Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any cookbook recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any cookbook recommendations?

I don't have a favorite bc I get bored with all of them after a while. I am currently enjoying Lucky Peach's cookbook. Lots of great Asian recipes. Ive found it an easy way to begin to understand asian spices. There's even some BBQ in there. Made some delicious Korean BBQ and they've got some simple recipes too. Here's a Kimchi Pancake that took all of 15 mins!

The Food Lab

Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      The Food Lab looks pretty interesting. I've not had a chance to look at the Big Bob Gibson one. Only just heard about it when I was listening to Chris Lilly's seminar.

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm LOVING the Food Lab, thanks to @Jerod_Broussard

I second Jerod's recommendation for Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book. I bought it after watching Chris Lilly's chicken video and it looks mighty awesome. A few days later, I bought Lilly's second book (Fire and Smoke) after listening to Meathead ask him if he was going to write another book. Lilly's answer (paraphrasing here) was basically "Nah ... I've said pretty much everything I want to say about it". Fire and Smoke reads very much like the first book and I figure that having both (and therefore pretty much everything that Chris Lilly wants to say about BBQ) just might be a very good thing ...

Comment

Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking if you have around $500 to spend on cookbooks. There is also a "home" version of this for around $100.

Kenji's new cookbook: The Food Lab is pretty good and much more reasonably priced at around 30 bucks.
      Last edited by Dr ROK; February 10, 2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the 6 book Modernist Cuisine collection and think it worth every penny of that $500.🤑

I too have Chris Lilly's Fire & Smoke. At the American Royal BBQ in Kansas City I saw him and told him how much I enjoyed his book. He was so gracious and thanked me for the nice comment, what a nice person he is!!! For Christmas my Family gave me Smokin with Myron Mixon. I'm not a fan of his personality but the book was ok. I also scan ALL OVER the internet for recipes of every kind.

Comment

One that I think is terrific & sort of goes hand in hand with Q'n/grillin is "A Taste of Cowboy" by Kent Rollins. He is a real chuck wagon cook & all the recipes are with cast iron skillets & Dutch ovens, with the exception of cowboy coffee. Once you try the old fashioned coffee over the flip @ drip stuff you just might get hooked, we did. Two others that I just started experimenting with are " Mallman on Fire" & "Seven Fires" by Francis Mallman an Argentine outdoor, fire cookin master.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, thanks! I'd never heard of A Taste of Cowboy. If you had to pick one of the Mallman books to start with, which do you recommend?

• Matt L
          Matt L commented
          Editing a comment
          2nd, Mallman is amazing.

Start with Mallman's Seven Fires. As far as Rollins goes, his cooking is where there are no electricity or fineries of home, not to say you can't use the high tech gadgets we have, it just that he shows you how to cook the way cookin was out on the range. Big Bertha, his stove doesn't have a knob or a timer or a temp gauge, it's a cast iron wood burner. His Dutch oven cooking is as thorough & complete as can be. You must try the sparkling taters. Enjoy the ride!
        Ps. You work his Dutch oven cooking & you will be digging a little hole in your yard.

Comment

• (mr.brisket)
          (mr.brisket) commented
          Editing a comment
          I started watching Kent Rollins on youtube and I did end up digging a hole in my yard LOL. If you haven't seen it watch his throw down with Bobby Flay

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          You guys are cracking me up

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds really good!

I have an old book called Weber's Big Book of Grilling. Lots of recipes and instructions on grilling. I also find You Tube a great place to find recipes and techniques on how to BBQ and smoke all kinds of different meat.
        Last edited by airforcekixbutt; February 11, 2016, 10:25 AM.

Comment

The Food Lab is awesome! It's almost 1,000 pages and I read it over the first two weeks of receiving it.

Comment

There's a guy named Meathead that has a book coming out soon.😎

I think it has something to do with BBQ & grilling.😋

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
              DJ DeSpain commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, I'm going to put it on my wish list for my birthday.

Francis Mallman " On Fire" the author travels the world with his grill and gets his inspiration from the places he visits. Another book that I enjoy is Steven Raichlen " Planet BBQ" Both of these books have a fair share of storytelling within them which makes for a great read. The newest book I have just added to my collection is by Cheryl and Bill Jamison "Smoke and Spice" this is just a pure recipe book with over 450 recipes and lots of great photos.

Comment

My main books are Joy of Cooking and the America's Test Kitchen books. I have a copy of Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana Cooking that gets used a lot. I just purchased Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book. Tried a smoked chicken with the white sauce and it was stupendous. If I can finds a chicken small enough, going to try the bread pan chicken, too.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like that Big Bob Gibson book will be in my future. Lots of folks recommending it. Although, that white sauce sounds strange to me. Will have to try out Meatheads recipe.

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                I grew up in Northern Alabama and white sauce was the norm. I regularly make MH's white sauce recipe but I add 1 TBSP of sugar to balance out the acidity. It's closer to what I remember that way.

• gwschenk
                gwschenk commented
                Editing a comment
                JCBBQ, the white sauce sounded strange to me as well. But it was delicious.

Although its not a cook book, I recently picked up "Make Mead Like A Viking" and currently have ten gallons of Mead bubbling away in my kitchen. I have been making the Joes ancient Mead recipe from youtube but decided to expand my mead making to the longer ferment types. I have picked up some great information from this book.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Mead is made from...honey?

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup ... with various adjuncts for flavor ...

• Matt L
                Matt L commented
                Editing a comment
                How many gallons of honey did it take to pull that off?

Another +1 for "The Food Lab". After reading recommendations on here I arranged for Santa to deliver it. Not sure I could read it cover to cover, but the way it's structured makes it easy to jump right in at whatever takes your fancy. Following the guidance for Pan Seared Steak saw an instant improvement over our norm, and the recipe and method for Southern Fried Chicken brought instant success first time. I now dip into it a lot, just to see how we could or should be doing things differently

And a random choice that has had a lot of use over the years right up to the present day would be Giuliano Hazan "The Classic Pasta Cookbook". No rocket science - just a good basic grounding with most of the pasta recipes you're likely to need
              Last edited by IanN; February 11, 2016, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                BigBear ...

You might want to try making some cornbread in that skillet too. Meathead has posted a really good cornbread recipe for cornbread in a cast iron skillet.

• BigBear
                BigBear commented
                Editing a comment
                Good suggestion Breadhead. My family loves cornbread!

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                Cast iron is the only way to go with cornbread!

I guess I would wonder why one would restrict it to one cook book. When I was just starting to poke my nose into BBQ in 2014 I found this link where this guy called meathead made a top 10 recommendation of BBQ books. I tried 6 of them & thought they were all great, which led me to find out more about this meathead guy. I then discovered AR.
              You sorta have it all here, just ask. If you are interested in other than BBQ I would look at the couple I referred to, then there is one that is loaded with recipes up,the wazoo, that being Smoke & Spice by the Jamison's. They've sold a million of em. Then again, I know Breadhead mentioned that guy meathead has one coming. Just what everyone needs, Meathead in May.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Another thumbs up for the Jamison's book. They have some others of New Mexican cuisine that are also good.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here