Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few cooking tips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few cooking tips.

For some reason the onions haven't hit my eyes like they use to.

Comment

I wear swimming goggles if I have to do lots of onions. Fresh horseradish is also a killer for me. My eyes would burn in the dining room of a restaurant I worked at while they were grating horsey in the back.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a hilarious pic of my wife on a long ago phone of her grating some garden-grown horseradish. She was wearing giant rubber gloves, swim goggles and her very curly red hair was was an untamed mess. She looked like Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein when he was trying to give life to his creation.

As a young prep cook I was taught to wrap Saran Wrap around my head/eyes like a shield. Worked fantastic when doing upwards of 50lbs of onions in a morning.

Comment

Speaking of easy slicing onions -- was casually flipping through channels yesterday when we saw this (or similar) on QVC:

It's a "mandolin" where instead of running the food over the blade, you run the blade over the food. Was "thisclose" to ordering one off of Amazon until we read a bunch of the CON reviews (hard to clean, surprisingly hard to store despite claims, hard to clean, all slices are limited to a specific size due to function of product, hard to clean, have to cut veggies to fit in tube anyway, etc...).

All that being said, , it certainly does look like it would make cutting a large number of onions quick and easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51v1jlDuYoL._AC_SY580_.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1366228

Comment

Get the OXO Mandolin. Works like a charm and fits nicely into the box.

In terms of smoke my contacts amazingly shield my eyes from smoke, onions, etc. When I don't have my contacts in and open the pit look out as the watering will begin immediately.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
            WillTravelForFood commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup! That was the other reason we passed. Other than making sure we use the little hat, we have no issues with the mandolin we already have.

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the OXO mandoline.

Hahaha, my niece uses swimming goggles every time she cooks with me. I love it! Not quite as cool as the glass top.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 9.55.45 AM.png
Views:	142
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	1366285

Comment

Where there's a will there's a way? Some different ideas in that for sure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here