Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fox News' Take On "BBQ The Way It Was Meant To Be", Pulled Pork Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have little, if any doubt that ^this^ makes some delicious pork...
    Whether I would categorize it as BBQ might well be another conversation, fer another day.

Comment

Real BBQ Pulled Pork is done in a pit, Dutch Ovens are Pits.
      How about our InstaPot?

Comment

The other problem is the vagueness of the ingredients of the rub. "Steak Seasoning" "Burger Seasoning" "Jerk Seasoning" could be any number of various brands with different flavor profiles. In the end it probably doesn't matter that much but I hate the lack of precision.

I am sure it tastes great but it ain't BBQ.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          <glass half full> Or, one could potentially see it as an opportunity to personalize th dish / make it yer own Signature thing...</glass half full>

That bein all said, an done, an th Pep Rally over , I F***in!!!! revile, an abhor vagueness / ambiguosity in receipts...

Right 'Grinds My Gears', as Huskee would say!

"Bout that much", in a vidja is better than nuthin...though
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 26, 2021, 12:01 PM.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones I am usually a glass half full guy.

For recipes I usually try to follow them pretty closely the first time through then will tweak where I can to adjust to my particular tastes.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed Old Glory Same Here, Brother; First run, by th book (mostly)

Next time? Lemme make it Mine lol!

To me and most folks, especially the ones here, to be called BBQ it should meet the following criteria…..

1. Food cooked on a grill, smoker or fire pit of some type…..most of the time done outdoors.
        2. Fuel source shall be charcoal, wood, pellets or gas. (Outdoor electric smokers an exception)
        3. Flames, hot coals or wood ash beds and/or smoke are a must.
        4. Rubs and BBQ sauces are common additions to the meat, but not a requirement.

Adding liquid smoke, rub or BBQ sauce to food cooked in the oven does not make it BBQ.
        Last edited by Panhead John; September 26, 2021, 10:44 AM. Reason: Mr. Bones asked me to, that’s why. 🥸

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones …..I done did change it….and agree witcha.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Done seened me dat, earlier...

Much Respeck, Brother!

Only lookin out fer th Common Good..

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Fer th record, btw; Lectric smokers is jus fine, in my books...do whatcha gotta, with whatcha got on hand, an make some Great Foods, yall!

Had me a Briinkmann, most probably th lowest form of Lectrict Smoker possibly ever devised...No dial, no stat, jus "Plug In", or "Plug Out"

Still managed to make great smoker meat outta it

Pics done been posted,elsewhere...It Happened,

It is another way, I agree with ecowper. Before we git to overly, nose in the air critical here, can you say "sous vide"? I know, here they come, "ya but, ya but, ya but".
        On my horse, I have a problem with all the sugar. I see a 1/4 cup of brn sugar, but how much sugar in the steak seasoning, burger seasoning (didn’t know it existed) & jerk seasoning. My rambling thoughts.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          As I contemplate my sous vide pork loin recipe for today, I will add that I don't think anyone here will claim SV is BBQ - at least not until we do SVQ or QVQ.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          SVQ is not Traditional BBQ "The Way It Was Meant To Be". But it certainly helps you cook a good meal. Especially if you hit it with smoke and fire before or after the bath.
          Last edited by Old Glory; September 26, 2021, 06:12 PM.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          So it seems the key is playin with the letters!

I agree, mostly around here people think if it's got BBQ sauce on it, it's considered BBQ. Sad, but true. Therefore when they taste even my (admittedly mediocre) BBQ, they think it's ambrosia.

Comment

Steak seasoning, Jerk seasoning....Liquid smoke...Done in 4 hours....Yeah...Fake BBQ.

Comment

So I agree with Huskee that it is the authentic line that rankles but I also see Eric’s point.

There’s other things to consider too.

If someone is looking to make pulled pork, they have probably had a good version of it at a restaurant or somewhere else. There is some awareness of smoking it on the smoker.

So, there is a reluctance to do it the approach that will generate the most flavor, which is a disservice to your guests. It also raises the odds of the food disappointing and then since it was bad, you have then missed out on what good BBQ could be and transferred that impression to other folks too.

It is not the lack of respect for traditions as Meathead has show that many BBQ traditions are just that traditions and don’t actually improve the end result.

It is the unwillingness to invest the time and effort to do it properly and then to call the recipe authentic like it is something to be proud of. A Weber for under $100 bucks can get the job done.

Now I don’t cook outside anywhere close to most of you, but I don’t make anything unless I research how to do it well and have the time do so. I have not ever made British fish & chips for example despite loving them because I didn’t have the time and equipment to do them properly. Why do I want to spend hours making a recipe that won’t even come close to what I have already eaten because I am taking so many shortcuts? Now I actually have a deep fryer I will finally given them a shot in the future.

The willingness to take shortcuts and then claim it is good enough to be authentic seems to really show a lack of respect for the time and effort we put into this passion.

We are one slippery slope away from people boiling ribs and claiming it is BBQ!

Comment

I grew up with a Pennsylvania Dutch Grandmother. A lot of things were smoked, but in cold smoke houses. Everything called BBQ was slow cooked / oven baked and sauced. So if they called it authentic PA Dutch BBQ, that recipe would be spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by zero_credit View Post
              So I agree with Huskee that it is the authentic line that rankles but I also see Eric’s point.

There’s other things to consider too.

If someone is looking to make pulled pork, they have probably had a good version of it at a restaurant or somewhere else. There is some awareness of smoking it on the smoker.

So, there is a reluctance to do it the approach that will generate the most flavor, which is a disservice to your guests. It also raises the odds of the food disappointing and then since it was bad, you have then missed out on what good BBQ could be and transferred that impression to other folks too.

It is not the lack of respect for traditions as Meathead has show that many BBQ traditions are just that traditions and don’t actually improve the end result.

It is the unwillingness to invest the time and effort to do it properly and then to call the recipe authentic like it is something to be proud of. A Weber for under $100 bucks can get the job done.

Again, not everyone lives in a house with a yard. MILLIONS of people live in apartments, condos, etc. so grabbing a Weber flat out isn't an option.

I *HIGHLY* doubt we'd be calling out Kenji if he put out a recipe for oven cooked pulled p... oh wait:

https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-ove...ed-pork-recipe

You can take out after FOX for the authentic thing, but note that the person who actually wrote the post didnt use that term.

PS: Some people will start with things like this and then get intrigued and go deeper. And sometimes, you might want pulled pork but it's rainy or snow and miserable and you don't want to cook in that so you use a shortcut.

Last edited by rickgregory; September 26, 2021, 10:54 AM.

Comment

In her blog post, Morgan describes the dish as "barbecue the way it was meant to be" and even says the "made-from-scratch recipe … is as delicious as any you’ll find in a restaurant."
                That is the rub (the rub - man I am so dogone witty). This is not BBQ the way it was meant to be. But it is pulled pork in the end. The batch I have in the freezer right now was done in the instant pot. Not as food as on any of my smokers, but it is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by klflowers View Post

That is the rub (the rub - man I am so dogone witty). This is not BBQ the way it was meant to be. But it is pulled pork in the end. The batch I have in the freezer right now was done in the instant pot. Not as food as on any of my smokers, but it is pretty good.
                  Going to the source matters:

Dutch Oven Pulled Pork is an easy way to make fork-tender BBQ in half the time of a smoker. This simple recipe turns a boneless pork shoulder into juicy

WHAT IS PULLED PORK?

Pulled pork describes the way you pull the meat with two forks as opposed to chopping it into smaller pieces. This made-from-scratch recipe for Southern Pulled Pork BBQ is as delicious as any you'll find in a restaurant!

Yep, she said that. Ever had restaurant pulled pork? I don't mean pulled pork at a good BBQ spot but pulled pork in your typical place. She's probably right.

Her blog isn't a BBQ blog. Her stated goal is "I'm here to help you create sassy recipes that are easy to make and loaded with flavor!"

She never uses the phrase 'meant to be' in the recipe page (she might have in emails to them?) - that's the Fox article's characterization and, shockingly, Fox News distorted and sensationalized her claim.
                  Last edited by rickgregory; September 26, 2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, I likeys her jus fine...Fun Stuff.

Probly gonna continue to use my own ways, to make pulled pork, but always out there, learnin new things, gleanin tips, tools, etc.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Makin th Very Best Food possible outta whatever th Hail Ever Kinda Situation ya find yerself landed right smack dab in th middle of, is th sign of a Seasoned Cook, IMCE...
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 26, 2021, 11:38 AM. Reason: inserted an adjective, Kapitalized my "k" :-p

Comment

This thread is precisely why I so love this website. It reminds me so much of my father who (I think I have mentioned before) would invite friends and adult children over for drinks. The guest roster was pretty much all hunters and outdoor sportsmen and could be accurately described politically as a bit to the right of Genghis Kahn. He would start a conversation by declaring that he had been re-thinking his stand on gun control and that federally mandated gun control could be a real help in this country, sit back with his drink and watch the sparks fly.

Well played Huskee. Well played.

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, nuthin like a big ol’ dust up over nuthin. Sorta like a Seinfeld episode.

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Reckon yer Pa, an me? We'd a hit it off

• wu7y
                      wu7y commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a given, Mr. Bones. He was born almost 110 years ago here where I live but a few of his older brothers and father were underground miners in Wales. They were a capable bunch.

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post

Again, not everyone lives in a house with a yard. MILLIONS of people live in apartments, condos, etc. so grabbing a Weber flat out isn't an option.

I *HIGHLY* doubt we'd be calling out Kenji if he put out a recipe for oven cooked pulled p... oh wait:

https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-ove...ed-pork-recipe

You can take out after FOX for the authentic thing, but note that the person who actually wrote the post didnt use that term.

PS: Some people will start with things like this and then get intrigued and go deeper. And sometimes, you might want pulled pork but it's rainy or snow and miserable and you don't want to cook in that so you use a shortcut.
                    I actually agree with everything you said especially as a former apartment dweller who did have to operate under those conditions. We didn’t eat or make anything that would resemble BBQ.

I think’s a group of folks that live in apartments that would make BBQ in the Dutch oven with the understanding that it’s not authentic but tasty so cool.

I think there’s people that would do BBQ in apartments in Dutch ovens and consider it not authentic but want to do better as you mention. Also great.

if this blog person wants to serve the two above groups, then cool.

Hiowever, there’s another group of folks that will make BBQ in the instapot and insist it is authentic because of x. That is just taking a shortcut and I find that disappointing.

The fact that barbecue as it’s meant is in quotes in the article to be suggests it is a direct quote from the blogger either through phone or email if it is not listed in the post itself. Again, the quotes imply a direct assertion by the blogger which leads me to think that she may be part of the third unattractive group above. No quotes means no direct attribution to the blogger which would then be Fox News fault. It’s also possible the post could have been edited after the article was published.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here