Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steven Raichlen's BBQ U?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(If I ever get a chance to meet him, there are two questions I would love to ask him.....one, what about French literature captured his interest so much that he got a degree in it, and two, has he ever taken any professional voice training? If you watch Project Smoke then some of the really old videos of BBQU (the TV show) from the early 2000s, his speaking style and cadence are more pronounced and developed in the recent series.)

Comment

My beliefs, emphasis on my, it is what it is. To many it’s relative & affordable, emphasis on affordable. Out of my league, but then the Memphis AR deal is also. Raichlen got me out of the cremation & cardboard business and into decent grilled food. His many books led me to Myron Mixon & the world of Q. The quest to learn about Q led me to this Meathead fellow & a ruddy website. The next is history, maybe, I ended up with this large groups of Doctors, misfits, chefs, master cooks, goofballs, some mighty fine women folk & even some folks who speak sorta funny. And ya know that didn’t come cheap either. Hah, $24 bucks! Who’s kiddin who. Most expensive 24 dollari I ever mustered together.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha! That $24 was just a gateway BBQ expense.

Makes the Meat-Up look like a blue light special!

Comment

I would rather order the LSG Adjustable Charcoal Grill for the same amount of money as I would get more use out of the grill long term.

Comment

I’m sure that’s a wonderful and insightful class but that’s a few years worth of meat at stake.

That being said, the area that this is being held is VERY affluent. The kind of affluent that spends thousands on a Komado Kamado and then has no idea on how to use it.

*this is by no means a dig against KK owners just an example of status symbol purchases I saw while I was stationed in that area.

Comment

I'm waiting for a Raichlen "cilantro" video clip to show up here. I never watched him enough to notice, I guess.

Kathryn

Edited to add: I found one! See the 34 second mark in this video: The other two times in the video, he pronounces it without the accent.

BTW, the Smoked Shrimp Cocktail recipe looks pretty doggone tasty. Here you go, Michael_in_TX
            Last edited by fzxdoc; March 13, 2021, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              lol..thanks...I seem to be collecting BBQ shrimp recipes lately!

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              I will bet the farm HE didn’t devain those suckers. Oh, looks good.

Am I the only person that is not impressed by him?

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              He's sort of "meh" to me. Not someone I'd follow on purpose. Occasionally when I google, a recipe from him pops up that I'd like to try. But honestly I find more inspiration here on The Pit or over on the free side--or from Malcolm or Harry Soo, for that matter.

Kathryn

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc

I could not agree more. (For me), This place has far more inspiration. I’m not hating on him at all. He just seems like a glorified recipe slinger. There is no real feeling in his message about the purposeful why’s of techniques etc. I’d rather learn the why’s of an ingredient then the amounts of it. The pit y0u learn the why’s and can purposefully use that knowledge tonmake good food. He has also likely forgotten more about cooking then I will ever learn. He is obviously successful
              Last edited by Richard Chrz; March 14, 2021, 02:54 PM.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              I dunno. He’s okay. If all you ever knew, you learned from him, your food would come out pretty good I think.

That being said, I think he’s another one of those people who keeps trying to make simple food fancy. Too much foofalah going on in his recipes for me. I’m not making a trip to the Philippine grocery to make a variation on roast pork; I’ll simply turn the page, thanks.

Originally posted by Richard Chrz View Post
            Am I the only person that is not impressed by him?
            I admit my admiration for him goes beyond BBQ. In a previous life I did video production, including public television production and I really like how his shows are scripted, shot, and edited. I also really enjoy how the two most recent series, Project Smoke and Project Fire really highlight that they are shooting a cooking show in some creative ways.

And then there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFAwbHnEDaY

I wish I could do that.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              We, we miss yer! 🙃

There are many outlets for barbecue knowledge seekers that are far less priced or even better free. I find his videos to be well made and informative. I own several of his books including Planet Barbecue which allows me to explore recipes and techniques from different parts of the world. With that being said Planet Barbecue set me back $3.99 from Ollie's Discount Store while a binder of his recipes and techniques from his other books was put together from text books borrowed free from the. To me I can't justify the cost of the class and I am a fan of his.

Comment

I'm kinda embarrassed that I didn't think about this given that (at least prior to 2020) I spend a significant part of the year helping to put on academic conferences at hotels.

It is actually really expensive to hold an event at a large hotel, especially a luxury resort. Convention space is very expensive. For my group, we have to have 400-500 minimum booked at the event hotel to get the convention space for free, and I think Steven limits BBQU to 50 people or so.

Steven is also paying the hotel for the food, which is always ridiculously priced, or he is paying the hotel a high premium to use outside providers. I know for me, even with the most discounts (we're academic/non-profit) I still pay $45 a gallon for coffee, plus sales tax, plus 25% service charge.

And if the hotel is a union hotel, he is probably also paying for an elevator operator and a stand-by carpenter. (No really, this is a thing in the northeast!)

It would not surprise me that after hotel costs, material costs, and paying his staff he only nets 1/3 or so of that initial fee.
              Last edited by Michael_in_TX; March 14, 2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yer probably spot on. I don’t think he’s doin it fer the money.

The venue really shouldn't be all that important. Wouldn't matter if the class was held in someone's backyard or most anywhere than a pricey hotel.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here