Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Pellet Brand are you using and Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Pellet Brand are you using and Why

I just received my 640s and am wondering what pellets should I buy for baby back ribs, pork butt, turkey on Thanksgiving...

What are you using - and why?

I bought a Recteq and it was bundled with their brand of pellets. I have no idea who really makes them. It’s an oak/hickory blend. Burns efficiently, hot which reduces fuel consumption, and with little ash. I like it a lot. I tried the Kingsford brand. Didn’t like them at all. Burns quickly and created an enormous amount of ash. So I went back to the Recteq brand. About $38 fir 40lbs delivered on Amazon.

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks JFrosty
      A bag of lumberjack supreme blend (oak, hickory, cherry) was given to me by the store I bought the Yoder from.

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Another note; I use the same pellets for all cooks. Whatever the meat. As Jerod Broussard says below, just need smoke.
      Last edited by Jfrosty27; November 4, 2020, 08:43 PM.

For ribs as well as pork butt I use hickory pellets from Lumberjack. For turkey and poultry in general I use sweetwood blend also from Lumberjack. Lumberjack contains 100% of wood that is advertised, there are no fillers such as alder or oak. Bear Mountain also is a very good pellet, much like Lumberjack it contains 100% of the product, no fillers. Both are excellent however with pellets I recommend using a smoking tube if you are looking for a little extra smoke.

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      This is great to know - no filter wood. Who would have thought....

Pit Boss (Competition Blend??) since it is at the walmart 1.5 miles away. B & B has BBQers delight make some for them and they are great also. Don't care about what wood, just need a pellet that can be used for smoking.

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Easy peasy.
      I need to try to match meat and pellet. I'll try to not over engineer it......

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      I order on line from Walmart, Pit Boss Comp Blend, 80lbs $40 delivered.

• Derickls
      Derickls commented
      Editing a comment
      Lowes near me has started carrying Pit Boss I gave it a try because it was inexpensive and I think it has been working great

If I had a pellet cooker, since I have Academy in town, THIS is what I would be burning most of the time:

Need to ignite your pellet grill? Use the B&B 40 lb Championship Blend Pellet Grill Fuel. It's made from 100% natural wood without chemical additives, and it burns ...

It's supposed to be made by BBQer's Delight. If I didn't have Academy near by, I would go directly to bbqrsdelight.com. Our very own member CandySueQ (Candy Weaver, president of the KCBS) works there - another big reason to support them.

Comment

I started out with Traeger because it came with the grill. I switched to B&B championship blend after reading this (and using up the Treager pellets):

https://amazingribs.com/new-recipes-...d-wood-pellets

I also use BBQ'rs Delight. Our own CandySueQ is with them. They make an excellent product, it is just harder to find for me, and I always run out before i buy more, so I never have time to order any. On the other hand, the B&B is made by them, I think.
      Last edited by klflowers; November 4, 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I get the best smoke with LumberJack and BBQ'rs Delight. Minimal ash is another plus.

Comment

• Raven Rock
          Raven Rock commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup - a lot of folks seem to be happy with the lumberjack pellets

I use Grilla Grills Competition Blend (made by Lumberjack) and keep a good selection of BBQ’rs Delight flavor pellets on hand.

Comment

I use Smoke Ring cause there cheep, a buddy of mine buys a skid at a time and we split the pellets and cost. Never tried any other kind.

Comment

Lumberjack Competition blend. Available at Dick's Sporting Goods at a very competitive price.

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              There are more than one Dicks in Portland, I may have to check that out.

BBQ'rs Delight Flavour pellets; onliest pellet cooker I have is an expandable Amazen Smoke Tube

Great fer smokin cheese, etc.

Comment

• Raven Rock
              Raven Rock commented
              Editing a comment
              One of these days I'll try smoking cheese and nuts

I'm also using Lumberjack Competition Blend - which is maple, hickory and cherry. I use them because occasionally we get a group buy together and they are very inexpensive, but a high quality pellet. We don't have Academy's out here otherwise I would probably be using theirs (made by BBQer's Deslight).

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies folks - I appreciate it

Comment

I use a variety: Lumberjack 100% Oak, which appears to be the only brand that has 100% Oak. I use CookinPellets.com's competition blend - CP also has specials sometimes for things like Wine Barrel Oak, Black Cherry and Maple. Lastly, I really enjoy Camp Chef's 100% Cherry and 100% Apple (not sure who makes them for CC). The Cherry and Apple are great for pork cooks, Cherry for pork butt and ribs, Apple for bacon and chicken. All these are available online - the stores around here mostly carry Pit Boss or Traeger brands, which use flavor oils infused into their pellets, something I'm not a fan of.

Comment

• Raven Rock
                  Raven Rock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great info Geezer - thanks for the detail

I've used Grilla and loved them, Pit Boss and loved them (cheap and worked great IMO), and most recently Bear Mountain, specifically their Bold blend, and I really loved them. They were my favorite thus far, they really seemed to have a more bold smoke presence on the food. They're made with mesquite and hickory I believe.

Comment

• Raven Rock
                  Raven Rock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Huskee -
                  Thanks for the detail - I appreciate it!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here