Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glitchy’s SmokeFire Redeux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI, this is a 4 min reverse sear flipping every minute on SmokeFire @ 515 degrees. Show me that from another pooper. Also, to note, this was the least crusty steak. I ended up thawing the wrong package and cooking an extra steak. This was the least crusty pictured after eating the others.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glitchy; November 22, 2020, 02:16 AM.

Comment

• zinfella
      zinfella commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have any pics of steaks from the SF with more crust, a stronger sear, hopefully at med rare, or even raraer?
      Last edited by zinfella; November 23, 2020, 12:24 PM.

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
    Well signs are pointing back to pellets, maybe there was enough in the auger and chute to disrupt the test yesterday as everything past the first hour was fine. Today I fired it up straight to 375 and was perfect. It convinced me enough that while running to get the wife cupcakes for her birthday today that I stopped at Lowe’s and picked up the second attachment since they were half price.
    Just a quick update since I said I'd try to replicate. Unfortunately I don't have any graphs to show but I did some turkey smoking over the holiday in the 300-325 range and some other odds and ends in the 375-400 range and I seemed to be matching up OK with both a Weber ambient probe plugged into one of the smokefire ports, and with my thermoworks smoke. A couple of times I saw big spikes after opening the lid (350 running up to 400+ straight away on both ambient probes, for example) but they settled down within a minute or two.

Strictly Weber pellets from day 1. Luckily I've been happy with their product, otherwise I'd be pretty disappointed that we're stuck only using theirs. Not really sure why there's seem to work fine and other's are causing problems. Loaded up on hickory at Lowes myself as well last week. That was the only type they had discounted at my store.

Comment

zinfella I see your comment on the above post about steaks and pics. Reverse searing on the smokefire has become one of my favorite cooks on this thing. Here's a few that I just grabbed out of my phone after a quick search.

*Note that these are not all necessarily the same steaks, just fyi. Just some random pics I grabbed quickly from the vault*

**Edit - Also, the wife prefers closer to medium so sometimes they're not as red as most folks like. I try to keep them as close as I can to medium rare while also keeping her happy. I generally shoot for 135'ish with her liking closer to 140 internal. The tomahawks below were definitely rare (but I forgot to snag inside pics!) because I only took them up to 120'ish internal before searing. They were so thick that a few minutes of sear on both sides wasn't enough to make much of a dent in the internal temp. However, I was too afraid of overdoing them so I pulled them early.**

Click image for larger version  Name:	FmKK38N.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,000.3 KB ID:	947703Click image for larger version  Name:	9l1e8rK.jpg Views:	0 Size:	858.0 KB ID:	947704Click image for larger version  Name:	TmmO4lM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	783.6 KB ID:	947705Click image for larger version  Name:	vnNeLlV.jpg Views:	0 Size:	939.7 KB ID:	947706Click image for larger version  Name:	1X0ZqVT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	881.9 KB ID:	947707
      Last edited by BDCarp04; November 30, 2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• pknj
        pknj commented
        Editing a comment
        that looks great! I really want to get one of these to replace my gasser for weeknight cooks. Time to start saving.

• BDCarp04
        BDCarp04 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly how I got my wife to agree to one. Told her it would clear up some of my toy clutter on the patio!

Good luck! Appreciate the updates!

Comment

Originally posted by BDCarp04 View Post
        zinfella I see your comment on the above post about steaks and pics. Reverse searing on the smokefire has become one of my favorite cooks on this thing. Here's a few that I just grabbed out of my phone after a quick search.

*Note that these are not all necessarily the same steaks, just fyi. Just some random pics I grabbed quickly from the vault*

**Edit - Also, the wife prefers closer to medium so sometimes they're not as red as most folks like. I try to keep them as close as I can to medium rare while also keeping her happy. I generally shoot for 135'ish with her liking closer to 140 internal. The tomahawks below were definitely rare (but I forgot to snag inside pics!) because I only took them up to 120'ish internal before searing. They were so thick that a few minutes of sear on both sides wasn't enough to make much of a dent in the internal temp. However, I was too afraid of overdoing them so I pulled them early.**

]
        Whatever floats your boat. Here's what floats mine, no grill marks, just solid sear flavor acroos the entire surface.

Attached Files

Comment

zinfella The discussion about searing in the thread is generally in comparison to other pellet grills, not to charcoal. cast iron skillets, infrared burners, etc. I can fire up my WSCG and use the cold grate technique to create what you have shown.

Pellet grills are notoriously poor to mediocre at searing, so the main point with searing on a SmokeFire is to say "show us another pellet grill that can sear anywhere near as well without other tools to aid the process or reconfiguring the grill" (like the Memphis direct flame insert). There are two problems with the reconfiguring in that you are reconfiguring a HOT grill mid-cook when reverse searing and you usually go from 500 plus square inches of cooking space down to about 100 square inches or so that actually sear effectively directly over the fire pot.

I usually don't target quite the sear you pictured personally, but it could possibly be accomplished on a SmokeFire most easily with flipped grill grates or a cast iron pan or griddle. You could also put the grates in cold when you are ready to start cooking as well. However, you still will not get the same type of infrared energy you get over a bet of glowing coals, nor the convenience of a round grate for the cold grate method.
          Last edited by glitchy; November 30, 2020, 04:12 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
            zinfella The discussion about searing in the thread is generally in comparison to other pellet grills, not to charcoal. cast iron skillets, infrared burners, etc. I can fire up my WSCG and use the cold grate technique to create what you have shown.

Pellet grills are notoriously poor to mediocre at searing, so the main point with searing on a SmokeFire is to say "show us another pellet grill that can sear anywhere near as well without other tools to aid the process or reconfiguring the grill" (like the Memphis direct flame insert). There are two problems with the reconfiguring in that you are reconfiguring a HOT grill mid-cook when reverse searing and you usually go from 500 plus square inches of cooking space down to about 100 square inches or so that actually sear effectively directly over the fire pot.

I usually don't target quite the sear you pictured personally, but it could possibly be accomplished on a SmokeFire most easily with flipped grill grates or a cast iron pan or griddle. You could also put the grates in cold when you are ready to start cooking as well. However, you still will not get the same type of infrared energy you get over a bet of glowing coals, nor the convenience of a round grate for the cold grate method.
            Okay, I had asked you about sear results on your SF, quote below.

"Do you have any pics of steaks from the SF with more crust, a stronger sear, hopefully at med rare, or even raraer?".

I t was then that BDCarp04 responded with his own sear pics. So, I replied back to him with a pic showing the sear that we are looking for. I realize that degree of sear is not for everyone, but it is for many.

I don't use Grill Grates, don't use the cold grate method, or do any reverse searing. I simply start and finish over high heat. I thought that since the SF can produce 700Ëš +, I could work right in the flames, turning often, to get the sear I want and keep the inside at 130Ëš. But, you're saying that isn't realistic with a SF, so, between that and my inability to do the maintenance on one, I'm glad that I didn't buy one. Enjoy yours.
            Last edited by zinfella; December 1, 2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              Different grills often require different techniques. Pellet grills just don't cook the same ways as a super intense infrared fire. In general they are better smokers than they are grills, the SmokeFire just does a lot better job at grilling than most, if not all others. Also, IMO grills better than a lot of gassers until you start spending $1000.

All of the replies I've made have been to do my best to help you decide if it's the right fit for you. Pellet grills aren't right for everyone.

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              Also, have you looked or thought about the Masterbuilt Gravity Series? I know they might not prove to be the most reliable, but many people are pretty happy with the results, they get a little hotter than the SmokeFire and you might be able to sear better near the firebox. I think most of the quality issues are safety switches that might not be that difficult to replace.

Anyway, if you're still looking for an easier cooker, I hope you find the right one.

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              I also thought of one more thing to share, pellet grills and I'm guessing the Masterbuilt as well, are really the definition of "if you're looking, you ain't cooking". They cook with convection so don't really cook well with the lid open, so you can't really flip every 15-30 seconds. Every minute is pushing it even and you have to be fast or by time you've done a couple flips the grill is down to 300 degrees. You can cook all hot and fast, just going to get more banding, but also more crust.

No sweat on the comments, it's all good. I was relying on Max's SF review where he showed a front center temp of 718Ëš and 685Ëš on the right side, when cranked all the way up.

My good buddy Dave has a Masterbuilt 560. and it foes to 700Ëš. He did rib eyes Sunday, grilled to 110Ëš, turn the MB 560 to 700Ëš. then did a reverse sear at 1 minute per side. He's a reverse sear lover, I'm not.
            Attached Files

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              The highest set temp is 600, and it might shoot a little over that, but I think with the firmware updates they've made it doesn't overshoot as often or by as much as it did initially. I'm pretty sure I could not get what you pictured above on my SmokeFire with only 20-25 degrees of reverse searing room to play with. That definitely appears to be a more intense flame to work with than the SmokeFire.

• zinfella
              zinfella commented
              Editing a comment
              I had not thought about FW updates changing grill temps, and that could spell disaster for anyone counting on the high temps that Max got.

You have been helpful since I enlisted here in the Grillers Army, and now I know that pellet grills are not the right path for me.

Thanks for your help.

I just don't need reverse sear to get where I want to get.
            Attached Files

Comment

• BDCarp04
              BDCarp04 commented
              Editing a comment
              I can also be into that style of high heat, fast and hard to get where you're going. Especially this time of year when I'm getting home from work and it's already dark out and I don't have a lot of free time (or daylight) to play around. It makes for a delicious steak too!

• BDCarp04
              BDCarp04 commented
              Editing a comment
              Also, just to add - I think when I say I've come to love reverse searing on the SF, for me it's that extra layer of smokiness I can now add to my steaks by letting them come up low and slow on an actual smoker and then being able to blast them. Without having to choose between a grill or a smoker or having to fire up two different systems. Totally understand if that's not your thing.

• zinfella
              zinfella commented
              Editing a comment
              One of the reasons that my buddy Dave is into reverse searing, via sous Vide, or using the grill to get up to 110Ëš, is that he likes to enjoy a martini during that time. There's room for all of us, each with their own tastes, here un the Griller's Army.

Hey glitchy , I re-read this thread again (I've read it many times now...).

Since you are now using the wet smoke kit/foil pans underneath the grill grates for LnS cooks, have you noticed any differences in taste/smoke profile or cook times compared to not using anything before? My sense is no, especially if you are just using them as drip versus versus water pans, which would extend the cook time a lot.

I was watching Baby Back Maniac and Harry Soo this morning, and Baby Back Maniac in particular seems pretty set on the "stock or nothing" mindset, which is why he returned it, and Soo's cleaning process for the SmokeFire looked pretty painful.

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't noticed anything in difference in taste, but my palate isn't as refined as many others, though I definitely notice when it's drastically less. I also usually use a fireboard probe close to the meat and set me temp based upon that. Often with drip pans, especially with 2 in the EX4, I notice that the temp over the pans is usually around 25 degrees off at low temps, I just bump the controller up 25 degrees to compensate. I also try to only use one pan if what I'm cooking fits over it.

I've done 12 cooks on the EX4 so far. The only problem I've had was the next to the last cook I did was some chicken at 350, for some reason after 1/2 hour the temp jumped to 450 and was really spitting out pellets. I shut it done and then restarted and it ran fine. Here's some pics of last nights cook. Beef back ribs, using APL's recipe cooking a total of 3 hours @ 325. I know the the pics don't look very appetizing, but they tasted really good. I think I'll try doing them at 300 next time, so they don't get so over cooked. Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 12-6-20 at 4.14 PM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.1 KB ID:	951856Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_5f8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	108.7 KB ID:	951857
            Last edited by wrgilb; December 6, 2020, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad you are liking your SmokeFire. I've never done beef back ribs, they look pretty tasty even overcooked.

• jasoncross11
              jasoncross11 commented
              Editing a comment
              They look great! I am making my first beef back ribs this week. They had rib roast boned and tied back with the bones on sale for $5.49.

glitchy thanks for this thread - I’m no where near purchasing a Pellet smoker/grill but you sharing your experience has been helpful and entertaining.

Comment

• zinfella
              zinfella commented
              Editing a comment
              I totally agree, all threads should be so informative!

Ok, so I have a new SmokeFire annoyance. Weber has been continuing to update their mobile app and it looks better and is more intuitive to use (which is a good thing). So, today I'm smoking a Mexi-chuck and decided that I'd just use the Weber probes instead of getting out the Fireboard and play with the updated app a bit. Got everything going. set my target temp, checked on it every hour or two, bumped the temp up 25 degrees after foiling, everything going well.

Then, I was thinking it's about time for this thing to be hitting temp, look at my phone, no missed alerts, unlock my phone open the Weber Connect App and BOOM the alerts fire. REALLY, you only send alerts when you are unlocked and app open? What a joke. Luckily I only overshot by 2 degrees and it's chuck roast, so I turn down the grill some and leave it on for an hour after hitting 205 anyway so glad I verified this odd behavior with this cook. I've been suspecting it for a while but I have been using the Fireboard for monitoring, so the only alert I would get from the Weber app is when the grill reaches the set point.

I'm glad I have the Fireboard, but it's pretty disappointing that when a fancy system is already on board the cooker you cannot use or rely on it. I mean really, who is going to leave their phone screen on all day long with the Weber app active all day? I get push alerts all day and night for every stinking other app I seem to have on my phone and they are all in the background (if even running at all).

Comment

• zinfella
              zinfella commented
              Editing a comment
              One of my sons has had a similar experience with his Davy Crockett, he uses an Android phone, and I don't know if he ever
              resolved the issue. I.also don't know if the iPhone performs differently, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's just BS that Weber has not yet got a handle on their IT issues.

I know you really like your SF, so I hope it all gets fixed soon.
              Last edited by zinfella; January 11, 2021, 06:48 PM.

• MTurney
              MTurney commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you try going into settings then to notifications and making sure the notifications for that specific app are activated when the phone is in the locked screen?

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              MTurney I have every toggle on for Weber Connect notifications. Sounds, Banner, Display on Lock Screen, etc. I even have persistent on which I never use normally.

I can only say that this has been an excellent thread for anyone considering this cooker. Thank you glitchy

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Well said.

K.

I really like my SF24. So I modified my 2018 Traeger Pro series with the Smoke Daddy and grill grates. Temp on the Traeger was set at 350 and got this for searing. Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_55c.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	972854

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              GrillGrates do wonders for a Traeger Pro. I'm beginning to think I'm in a camp all by myself though as I'm not the biggest fan of them other than that use. They are such a pain to clean and hold a bunch of gunk that starts splattering all over when you really crank up the temps.

• wrgilb
              wrgilb commented
              Editing a comment
              All I use them for is the flat side up for an overall sear.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here